Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Well, its official, my brother down in RIC VA has more snow OTG than me on Jan 7th. :lol:

It happens a lot more than we'd like to think...can almost always find a spot during a coastal storm that has more snow than a lot of areas of NNE.

I'll have to find the NWS BTV climate speak about snowstorms, but they used to have data online that showed we get a ton of light events compared to less frequency but much larger events the closer to get to the coast.

40 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Crazy. I assumed all of VT. had some snow OTG.

This map below sums it up... I've got 6.5-7" of snow/ice my dog can walk on in the yard.  We keep getting almost daily light dustings but nothing of significance at home since the freezing rain/rain early in the week.  I've got no issues as my backyard is the least amount of snow I've seen in a couple weeks.

I'm just more shocked at the west side and just how rapid the drop off is.

I can't believe the Jeffersonville COOP at 1,100ft only has 5" of snow on the ground on the northwest side of Smugglers Notch/RT 108.  It is only like 3 miles as the crow flies from my Barnes Camp plot on the southeast side of Smugglers Notch/RT 108 that has 18" of snow depth right now.  Granted that spot is at 1,550ft but the difference is remarkable to me knowing that the drive in the summer does not take long at all. 

Basically one side of the RT 108 closure gate has 5" while the east side closure gate has 18". 

snowdepth.png

36 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Mainly the greens and east.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

That surprised me, as well. Took a walk on the trails around my house today, and realized we have better cover than I though. The snowstake in the open area is about 8", but the woods seem more around 15", down to knee deep in spots (drifting?). This pattern is abysmal for us though, give me back my daily 1" of upslope and I'd be happy

That surprised me, as well. Took a walk on the trails around my house today, and realized we have better cover than I though. The snowstake in the open area is about 8", but the woods seem more around 15", down to knee deep in spots (drifting?). This pattern is abysmal for us though, give me back my daily 1" of upslope and I'd be happy

Yeah as you can see I am triggered. The ski trip to Smuggs restored sanity for a few hours. Here it feels like last year with repeated lakes storms/cutters on the way.

4 minutes ago, alex said:

That sounds right for 1,500ft.  I mean its not overly deep here in Stowe Village but when I go get groceries or go to the bank or whatever there are snowbanks, everything is white, snow on the roof-tops, it looks like a ski town in winter with plastered mountains rising on both sides.   Maybe after last winter my expectations have gone way down?  But overall its a high liquid, low depth type snowpack at 5-7" in town but it rapidly increases with height.

Anyway, a beautiful day on the slopes.

Here myself and two coworkers are taking a run to do some inspections of quality and check in on lift operators to see if they need anything.  I love when skis are a daily mode of transportation at work.

15895467_10102809315945190_1574010975935088736_o.jpg?oh=07c94b041b8bb7f4db54babf0e87181b%26oe=5923205D&key=723fa7800f88f3304f9d8aba476010bcddd4ab381d1038aa714999dd8e5a9b8c

Can't beat that!

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That sounds right for 1,500ft.  I mean its not overly deep here in Stowe Village but when I go get groceries or go to the bank or whatever there are snowbanks, everything is white, snow on the roof-tops, it looks like a ski town in winter with plastered mountains rising on both sides.   Maybe after last winter my expectations have gone way down?  But overall its a high liquid, low depth type snowpack at 5-7" in town but it rapidly increases with height.

We definitely haven't been getting the nice dumps you have, though. The nickel and dime stuff and the big Xmas storm did add up, however, although it's now very very crunchy and solid, especially the top layer. Our ski conditions are nowhere near Stowe, though. Might come up to Stowe for a weekend at the end of the month... 

Is it petty of me to not even pop in to the obs thread?  I'm not as negative as eyewall but it still bums me out to miss seemingly every snowfall. PF's magic dust has been reserved for a very small area around Mansfield and other high peaks. I still tell myself this is better than last year and indeed it is but it's not good by any means. Between burying my head in the sand about politics and the meh winter we are having, I need more distractions!

9 hours ago, eyewall said:

Yeah as you can see I am triggered. The ski trip to Smuggs restored sanity for a few hours. Here it feels like last year with repeated lakes storms/cutters on the way.

I actually can't like the contrast more. Plenty of snow in the Mtns, none down in the CPV = perfect for me. I dont' ski in the CPV so snow is just in the way here. Reminds me of 2011-2012. 

1 hour ago, adk said:

I actually can't like the contrast more. Plenty of snow in the Mtns, none down in the CPV = perfect for me. I dont' ski in the CPV so snow is just in the way here. Reminds me of 2011-2012. 

It makes your drive here easier every morning at 5am when its only snowing in the last 2 miles, ha.

Looks like we get a widespread front end light to moderate snow with this next event...the WAA snows.

2 hours ago, adk said:

I'm sure that many people in BTV feel the same way..snow in the Mtns and clear in the valley makes the day to day grind easier.

On this board though, those thoughts are in the 1% on the pie chart.

2 hours ago, adk said:

I can understand that way of looking at it but I definitely want to see it out my window. I am just asking for one warning event before the winter ends. I know normal for the year is a lot to ask for these days but I would just take one :)

4 hours ago, eyewall said:

I can understand that way of looking at it but I definitely want to see it out my window. I am just asking for one warning event before the winter ends. I know normal for the year is a lot to ask for these days but I would just take one :)

Many places in the Champlain Valley and southern Vermont need a 12-24 inch snowpack heading into March to help the water table recover from last year's moderate drought.  Rain events on frozen soils look good in the annual water year report, but in reality they mask water deficits, as the rain can't get into the ground.  If we enter the growing season with only 40 inches of snow (which would be double last year's in the CPV), we'll be setting the stage for another summer of low streamflow and lake levels.  It's way too early to be a drought monger, but this winter's pattern isn't a whole lot different than 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.

8 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

Many places in the Champlain Valley and southern Vermont need a 12-24 inch snowpack heading into March to help the water table recover from last year's moderate drought.  Rain events on frozen soils look good in the annual water year report, but in reality they mask water deficits, as the rain can't get into the ground.  If we enter the growing season with only 40 inches of snow (which would be double last year's in the CPV), we'll be setting the stage for another summer of low streamflow and lake levels.  It's way too early to be a drought monger, but this winter's pattern isn't a whole lot different than 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.

Yeah that is going to be a big problem without question. We need a big turnaround and fast.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:35 AM, eyewall said:

The Single Chair outlook for the remainder of the month looks pretty dismal. MRG really can't afford another awful season after last year.

You are 40 min away from the best skiing in the Northeast, way too much complaining

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

You are 40 min away from the best skiing in the Northeast, way too much complaining

I am not complaining about that. Believe me I have been enjoying solid conditions at Smuggs in the last  month. I just want to see a good hit at home :).

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I am not complaining about that. Believe me I have been enjoying solid conditions at Smuggs in the last  month. I just want to see a good hit at home :).

Could be 6 inches or so on Tuesday not sure about valley but up in the mountains looks like a decent front end thump

Just now, qg_omega said:

Could be 6 inches or so on Tuesday not sure about valley but up in the mountains looks like a decent front end thump

It won't be 6 inches down here but yes the mountains could see that before the rain that is for sure. We will likely see an inch or two here.

a little Champlain lake-enhanced band this morning, possibly? A very confined band was just sorta sitting over Shelburne area for a while, now moving south, not as apparent in this loop.

lWUNIDS_map?station=CXX&brand=wui&num=10&WUNIDS_map?station=CXX&brand=wui&num=10&

7 minutes ago, ono said:

a little Champlain lake-enhanced band this morning, possibly? A very confined band was just sorta sitting over Shelburne area for a while, now moving south, not as apparent in this loop.

lWUNIDS_map?station=CXX&brand=wui&num=10&WUNIDS_map?station=CXX&brand=wui&num=10&

Yes we have seen sand grain type flakes off and on throughout today. There is definitely a little Champlain enhancement ongoing. Not sure if anyone managed a dusting from it or not. 

Archived