Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, adk said:

If you read the text, they tell you the 72" is not accurate. Their totals are in the 36" to 40" range. 

Yeah, eek pointed that out last night as well; the main issue I saw was that the text portion of the report indicated an 8:25 A.M. time, and didn’t actually indicate a value for the incorrect snow total they were referring to.  So, with the mountains getting blasted all day I was unsure if that 72” was a real number that was added subsequent to all that text.  It looks like they’ve taken care of it this morning though and they’ve got 52” as the storm total.  Using this morning’s available data, I updated the north to south listings of storm totals for Winter Storm Stella at the Vermont ski areas below:

Jay Peak: 52”

Burke: 22”

Smuggler’s Notch: 52”

Stowe: 50”

Bolton Valley: 58”

Mad River Glen: 42”

Sugarbush: 39”

Middlebury: 30”

Suicide Six: 20”

Pico: 32”

Killington: 32”

Okemo: 19”

Bromley: 20”

Magic Mountain: 20”

Stratton: 21”

Mount Snow: 25”

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I had a foot at the base area but its real windy.

Wanted to play it conservatively with 10-14"... Grooming thinks it snowed harder last night than it did the night before.

50" storm total and that might be conservative at this point.  The long time groomers are comparing this to March 5-6, 2001 and Valentines Day 2007 now.  I can't remember this much fresh snow in the base area in a long time.  It was a real struggle getting to the snow stake...up to my chest at times.

How much did you and the base have total. No more complaints from you! Lol.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I had a foot at the base area but its real windy.

Wanted to play it conservatively with 10-14"... Grooming thinks it snowed harder last night than it did the night before.

50" storm total and that might be conservative at this point.  The long time groomers are comparing this to March 5-6, 2001 and Valentines Day 2007 now.  I can't remember this much fresh snow in the base area in a long time.  It was a real struggle getting to the snow stake...up to my chest at times.

We gotta some go-pros on those groomers. I want to see the wildness sometime. 

Gonna be some pretty scary windslabs in the notch with this wind and 50" of new snow. 

Hopefully people think through their decisions. 

Woodford VT coming in with 42" as of this morning...lol. Weenie central.

We need to get Mitch to setup his spot to confirm these ridiculous totals they always come in with.  They are double most every spot in SVT including the ski spots per JSpins post. Im not saying I don't believe them, just always incredible totals. Wish they had a COOP or Cocorahs to get official numbers. 

Well I learned the hard way how fast you can lose a phone in the snow. I decided to sneak up to Bolton to see what snow that deep looks like. I waded into chest deep fluff and my phone fell out. It went right to the bottom. There was no chance at finding it. Thankfully I have insurance.

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

BTV is at 91.0 inches on the season after the 30 incher. That guarantees an above normal season even if not another flake falls. 9 more to go to hit 100. Normal is 83 or so. 

I want to say 9" can't be a challenge with roughly 4 more weeks to go in BTV's accumulating snow season. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I have my doubts. 

2 minutes ago, adk said:

I want to say 9" can't be a challenge with roughly 4 more weeks to go in BTV's accumulating snow season. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I have my doubts. 

Who knows. I can't rule anything out the way this winter has gone. It has been truly wild. I thought we were done during the epic meltdown. Nobody saw a 30 incher coming. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Obscene.  There are turns that are unnervingly deep as you can't find a bottom and its over your head. 

This is now the deepest snow I've ever seen on the mountain.  Beating the deep snow run earlier in the season.

With-up-to-50-inches-of-snowfall-in-48-h

The-Nosedive-Glades-after-another-14-inc

Tomorrow should be a blast when I use my freebie! 

18 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You guys couldn't convince him to live on the west slopes of the greens or East of the spine??:)

Yea, 2010 was the fluff bomb upslope that actually crushed down here as well.  Not sure about 2011, im sure someone will come along to reminisce.

The 3/6-7/2011 event was a crashing CF that took TV temps from 48 to the low teens while that 2-foot-plus dump occurred.  LE suggests 3-4 tenths RA before the changeover.  The same thing happened in parts of Maine, unfortunately not my part.  I had 2" IP/ZR on 1.5" LE, while Eustis got 19" after their changeover.  I'd hoped for days that the GYX forecast and snowfall maps were wrong, but they got it about as exactly right as possible.  For several reasons, that ranks as one of my most unpleasant wx events ever.  My spinal stenosis (which became symptomatic in late Feb and would be addressed 7 weeks late thru successful fusion surgery on my neck) was robbing me of strength and coordination, and also reversing my usual tolerance of cold.  I got home from a forestry conference about 8 PM on 3/7 and found the house dark (wife was house-sitting near BGR) and interior temp in the 40s - the ice had probably cut off power not long past noon and the temp had fallen into the teens.  Between shivering while the woodstove struggled to warm the house, and my only restless-leg episode ever (undoubtedly caused by the same nerve damage that affected the things noted above), I had a very uncomfortable night.

And eyewall, we know that's all fake snowpack.  :lol::lol:
(and mega-impressive!)

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Obscene.  There are turns that are unnervingly deep as you can't find a bottom and its over your head. 

This is now the deepest snow I've ever seen on the mountain.  Beating the deep snow run earlier in the season.

With-up-to-50-inches-of-snowfall-in-48-h

Can we see the pics from the head camera?

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Insane

4 hours ago, eyewall said:

BTV is at 91.0 inches on the season after the 30 incher. That guarantees an above normal season even if not another flake falls. 9 more to go to hit 100. Normal is 83 or so. 

We’ve been paralleling BTV’s departures pretty well at our site this season, and the indeed the results of this storm seemed to continue that trend.  Winter Storm Stella brought us from below average to ~20% above average.  Like BTV, we’ve surpassed total season average snowfall now, so this guarantees the first above average snowfall in six seasons.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

We’ve been paralleling BTV’s departures pretty well at our site this season, and the indeed the results of this storm seemed to continue that trend.  Winter Storm Stella brought us from below average to ~20% above average.  Like BTV, we’ve surpassed total season average snowfall now, so this guarantees the first above average snowfall in six seasons.

Awesome and love seeing that 41 on your list. I assume that is an all time #1 for you. Anyway here are some shots not far down the road from Smuggs I took today:

17218498_10104148323273819_7913315213038

17349867_10104148323243879_4839089322053

17349843_10104148322909549_8255050675409

17359065_10104148322854659_4586665758395

The old mill at Jericho:

17359232_10104148322784799_8907523513909

A friend of mine just called me and said they just got electricity back.  Was out for 50 hours.  She lives in Moultonbourgh NH.  Major tree damage in her hood.  Many big white pines down on her road bringing down major lines and telephone poles.  She has never seen damage like this.  It got very scary for awhile. They thought the windows were going to blow in as they could see them bowing in and out.  Even lots of snow through cracks and around house doors.  Luckily this was a dry snow up here.  To do the damage she described it had to be gusting to over 70mph.  Seems like there was localized severe wind damage areas in the Lakes Region of NH. I had to drive over to Laconia today.  Seemed like they got alot more snow than I did.

31 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

A friend of mine just called me and said they just got electricity back.  Was out for 50 hours.  She lives in Moultonbourgh NH.  Major tree damage in her hood.  Many big white pines down on her road bringing down major lines and telephone poles.  She has never seen damage like this.  It got very scary for awhile. They thought the windows were going to blow in as they could see them bowing in and out.  Even lots of snow through cracks and around house doors.  Luckily this was a dry snow up here.  To do the damage she described it had to be gusting to over 70mph.  Seems like there was localized severe wind damage areas in the Lakes Region of NH. I had to drive over to Laconia today.  Seemed like they got alot more snow than I did.

Where in Moultonboro? I honestly would love to know what happened there. It almost seems like some sort

of downslope wind there off the Ossipees, but I don't know.

Archived