• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

What are unbelievable storm. Being at my high open exposure the winds were just crazy all afternoon. With the heavy snow and blowing snow I've never seen the visibility so low for so many hours. Just true blizzard conditions whether we officially hit it or not I don't know but it was epic. Do not have an official snow total just too much blowing. This morning we don't have landline telephone internet or television. 4G service is great with a smartphone at least I'm connected to the world.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18.2" with 1.96" LE at this mornings Ob. Maybe can tack on a little bit today, we'll see. Some light stuff continues now

Looking at the ALY PNS, I see a 26.5" report in Manchester, that's slant sticking on a whole other level.  8.5" more than me. I know where that is, and its just 2 miles from me.  I know it was windy, but I cant find a 27" drift if I tried. Its not some unique JSpin location either.

...BENNINGTON COUNTY...
   WOODFORD              34.0            712 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6
   MANCHESTER            26.5            507 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6
   LANDGROVE             23.5             636 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6
   1 WNW SOUTH DORSET    17.0     700 AM  3/15  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WEST ARLINGTON        15.0         614 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6

...WINDHAM COUNTY...
   WILMINGTON            16.0   622 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6

20 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just shovel a small area, Im guessing its coming straight down with some nice dendrites.  Should be easy to measure if you have a some space cleared

Good point and we may get there. 

I'm also going to put this out there....I think we could see an a run to challenge the all-time stake depth. Over the next 2-3 weeks I'm not seeing any events that will reduce depths a great deal and a lot that are going to raise them. I thought it was insane when the NWS said that after this even the stake could be back at 100". Well that's pretty much a lock and I bet we're at 110"+ by Friday AM.  There are several more storms on the models in the next 10 days that should add depth.  My sense is we are going to get to 130" easily and 140" is within range. 

Also, tonight looks $$$$

Wed 03/15 20Z 1.42 2923  95  90 -16 0.02
Wed 03/15 21Z 1.31 2924  95  90 -15 0.02
Wed 03/15 22Z 1.23 2925  95  90 -15 0.03
Wed 03/15 23Z 1.19 2927  96  87 -15 0.03
Thu 03/16 00Z 1.16 3029  96  86 -15 0.03
Thu 03/16 01Z 1.17 3029  96  87 -15 0.03
Thu 03/16 02Z 1.27 3030  96  85 -15 0.03
Thu 03/16 03Z 1.34 3030  96  82 -15 0.03
Thu 03/16 04Z 1.40 3030  96  78 -16 0.03
Thu 03/16 05Z 1.48 3030  96  75 -16 0.02
Thu 03/16 06Z 1.60 3031  96  74 -17 0.02
Thu 03/16 07Z 1.64 3031  96  74 -17 0.02
Thu 03/16 08Z 1.62 3031  96  70 -18 0.02
Thu 03/16 09Z 1.55 3031  97  68 -18 0.02
Thu 03/16 10Z 1.44 3030  96  69 -19 0.02
Thu 03/16 11Z 1.35 3029  96  69 -19 0.01
Thu 03/16 12Z 1.31 3028  96  68 -19 0.01

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

18.2" with 1.96" LE at this mornings Ob. Maybe can tack on a little bit today, we'll see. Some light stuff continues now

Looking at the ALY PNS, I see a 26.5" report in Manchester, that's slant sticking on a whole other level.  8.5" more than me. I know where that is, and its just 2 miles from me.  I know it was windy, but I cant find a 27" drift if I tried. Its not some unique JSpin location either.

...BENNINGTON COUNTY...
   WOODFORD              34.0            712 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6
   MANCHESTER            26.5            507 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6
   LANDGROVE             23.5             636 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6
   1 WNW SOUTH DORSET    17.0     700 AM  3/15  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WEST ARLINGTON        15.0         614 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6

...WINDHAM COUNTY...
   WILMINGTON            16.0   622 AM  3/15  WEATHERNET6

Just a bit surprised at the bolded, as my 7:1 windpack was close to 30" in spots (and <10" in others.)   The 14" recorded at 9 last night was an average, and if I'd done standard deviation on the measurements around the yard it would have come out close to 100% of that total.  Then the wind backed off and the 1.5" on the board this morning was pretty even.  1.90" LE last night and 0.22" this morning, for 2.12" total and 7.3 ratio, with no mixing, just little flakes and big wind.  From 4 to 9 last night we picked up 10" under full blizzard criteria.

Possibly mentioned here or the obs thread (I haven't tried reading all the back pages), but Maine DOT pulled all their plows off about 15 miles of I-295 due to zero visibility.  Conflicting reports - newsies saying people were "trapped" in their cars - but apparently a plow went off the road, along with some cars.  However, it appearas that most of the "trapped" folks were actually parked on the shoulder waiting for visibility to improve.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Just a bit surprised at the bolded, as my 7:1 windpack was close to 30" in spots (and <10" in others.)   The 14" recorded at 9 last night was an average, and if I'd done standard deviation on the measurements around the yard it would have come out close to 100% of that total.  Then the wind backed off and the 1.5" on the board this morning was pretty even.  1.90" LE last night and 0.22" this morning, for 2.12" total and 7.3 ratio, with no mixing, just little flakes and big wind.  From 4 to 9 last night we picked up 10" under full blizzard criteria.

Possibly mentioned here or the obs thread (I haven't tried reading all the back pages), but Maine DOT pulled all their plows off about 15 miles of I-295 due to zero visibility.  Conflicting reports - newsies saying people were "trapped" in their cars - but apparently a plow went off the road, along with some cars.  However, it appearas that most of the "trapped" folks were actually parked on the shoulder waiting for visibility to improve.

Yea, I was surprised too, and that's why I also questioned the report. As windy as it was, its pretty uniform around my yard depth wise.  Might just be a micro-climate thing in my yard and more drastic in different areas of town. Maybe that extra 8.5" just blew into the woods and I really had 26.5"...lol.

My snowblower was pretty much useless in this.  I spent 4 plus hours trying to use it and shoveling last night and another 5 hours this morning.  I am so sore.  16.8 inches was my reported total.  I think i lost some to compaction and wind last evening but this is what I had with 6 hour measurements.

Event totals: 30.4” Snow/1.72” L.E.

We headed to Stowe for some turns this morning, and it was still snowing nicely at the house when we left.  I could tell that it continued to snow at home because I’d check on our web cam while riding the Gondola, and watched it as the snow got so deep that all the camera could see was white.  The settled snow on the deck is now deeper than the level of my web cam, but I pulled away some snow and adjusted the angle so the settled height of the snow is once again visible.

In terms of snow accumulations and snowfall rates around the area, they tapered off somewhat as we headed from the house to Waterbury and Waterbury Center, and surprisingly, snowfall rates dropped to just flurries along the Stowe/Waterbury line.  That was the nadir in terms of snowfall intensity, and then it gradually ramped back up as we headed through Stowe Village and up to the mountain.  We saw exactly the same thing on the way home, so that’s presumably in association with the level of blocking with the flow/Froude Numbers.

When I spoke with my wife around mid-morning she said that there was another 4 or 5 inches on the snowboards since I cleared them this morning.  That had me thinking that this system might get into the league of the 2007 Valentine’s Day Storm here.  Well, this storm really isn’t in competition with that one anymore… it’s in a league of its own.  There was an additional 8.1” of snow on the board as of 1:00 P.M., which has pushed Winter Storm Stella past the 2007 Valentine’s Day Storm – at least in terms of total snow accumulation at this point, although perhaps not in liquid equivalent.  That leads me right into my next point, which is the ridiculous fluff we’re getting right now.  The 8.1” of snow we just picked up had a snow to liquid ratio of roughly 40 to 1.  That’s impressively high for a stack of that depth, and it speaks to the loft we’re getting.  My wife did some additional shoveling on the driveway while we were gone, and she said it was a piece of cake – you can just push it along and it essentially disintegrates.  As you can imagine, snow like that skis like a dream.

We’re still getting snow, so we’ll see what the next collection interval brings for accumulation.  

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 8.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.5

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 24.5 inches

Oh, and the skiing was pretty OK too.  The incessant flirting with the white room was tough, but we suffered through:

15MAR17A.jpg

27 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 30.4” Snow/1.72” L.E.

We headed to Stowe for some turns this morning, and it was still snowing nicely at the house when we left.  I could tell that it continued to snow at home because I’d check on our web cam while riding the Gondola, and watched it as the snow got so deep that all the camera could see was white.  The settled snow on the deck is now deeper than the level of my web cam, but I pulled away some snow and adjusted the angle so the settled height of the snow is once again visible.

In terms of snow accumulations and snowfall rates around the area, they tapered off somewhat as we headed from the house to Waterbury and Waterbury Center, and surprisingly, snowfall rates dropped to just flurries along the Stowe/Waterbury line.  That was the nadir in terms of snowfall intensity, and then it gradually ramped back up as we headed through Stowe Village and up to the mountain.  We saw exactly the same thing on the way home, so that’s presumably in association with the level of blocking with the flow/Froude Numbers.

When I spoke with my wife around mid-morning she said that there was another 4 or 5 inches on the snowboards since I cleared them this morning.  That had me thinking that this system might get into the league of the 2007 Valentine’s Day Storm here.  Well, this storm really isn’t in competition with that one anymore… it’s in a league of its own.  There was an additional 8.1” of snow on the board as of 1:00 P.M., which has pushed Winter Storm Stella past the 2007 Valentine’s Day Storm – at least in terms of total snow accumulation at this point, although perhaps not in liquid equivalent.  That leads me right into my next point, which is the ridiculous fluff we’re getting right now.  The 8.1” of snow we just picked up had a snow to liquid ratio of roughly 40 to 1.  That’s impressively high for a stack of that depth, and it speaks to the loft we’re getting.  My wife did some additional shoveling on the driveway while we were gone, and she said it was a piece of cake – you can just push it along and it essentially disintegrates.  As you can imagine, snow like that skis like a dream.

We’re still getting snow, so we’ll see what the next collection interval brings for accumulation.  

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 8.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.5

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 24.5 inches

Oh, and the skiing was pretty OK too.  The incessant flirting with the white room was tough, but we suffered through:

15MAR17A.jpg

Ain't done yet. Radar still lighting up the spine.  Blocked up a little still but it's nuking somewhere that way. 

Archived