Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, griteater said:

Nice eyewall.  What a photo!  Getting nuked right there.  May not be 2 feet so far, but I thought you'd get a good one with that 700mb tracking so far west.

Yeah we have to see if we can push 20 as the wrap around comes through.

Looks like a new band may be trying to push this way. Reports are all over the place on the NWS PNS. Someone else reported 14 in Winooski which I know is low. Someone reported 17.5 in South Burlington yet the airport came in with 14.7. The drifting is not making it easy.

14 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Looks like a new band may be trying to push this way. Reports are all over the place on the NWS PNS. Someone else reported 14 in Winooski which I know is low. Someone reported 17.5 in South Burlington yet the airport came in with 14.7. The drifting is not making it easy.

Yea, have to agree. There was a 16.5" report in Manchester on ALY PNS at 540pm and I had only 13.5" as of 6 pm.

59 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, have to agree. There was a 16.5" report in Manchester on ALY PNS at 540pm and I had only 13.5" as of 6 pm.

They corrected and used my report in the latest one which is more consistent with surrounding totals. 

11 minutes ago, klw said:

13.1 for us as of 11pm, things have restarted after about a two hour break.

Reports are being posted of 32" in Lake Placid and other spots in NNY are topping 30.

Yeah they got lucky and ended up where the deathband stalled. It is now rolling back through here in a weakened state. 

Event totals: 15.8” Snow/1.23” L.E.

We had some smaller flakes during the earlier lull in snowfall, but we’re back to larger flakes now producing a much more champagne-like consistency of the fallen snow.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.1

Snow Density: 7.6% H2O

Temperature: 18.7 F

Sky: Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

NWS measuring 17.8 for BTV just yesterday. I measure about that down here in the south end. But being so close to the lake, I can't say what is what. The winds moved so much snow around last night.  The have slackened now. I'm wondering if I'm even going to be able to get to stowe. There is a LOT of snow piled up around here. 

Reports have the ADK as the big winners so far. 32" in Lake Placid as of 11pm and radar says it is still snowing over there. They were under that death band for a few hours it seemed last night and it really shows in the totals. 

WRF showing another .75" for the mountains on the upslope flow over the next 24 hrs.  PF could pick up another foot easy by tomorrow AM.  

Event totals: 22.3” Snow/1.52” L.E.

With the overnight accumulation, Winter Storm Stella surpassed Winter Storm Orson as the largest of the season here.  Also of note is that this morning’s stack of accumulated snow was very dry (snow to water ratio was greater than 20 to 1), so we’re presumably getting into the upslope portion of the storm.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 6.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.4

Snow Density: 4.5% H2O

Temperature: 17.4 F

Sky: Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.5 inches

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

17" at 1,500ft and 22" at 3,000ft via 5am stake checks by myself and grooming department.  

I honestly didn't measure when I left home in a rush but guess would probably be about 16".

40 inches so far at Whiteface, Gore hasn't updated yet and still going.  That's historic for a synoptic storm

Archived