Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun day with wind taking down a huge 60-foot evergreen onto transmission lines in Stowe, knocking out power to town and the ski resort for a couple hours.  

I saw pictures of the tree from Stowe Electric and they busted ass to get it cleared.  It was sort of in the middle of no where too. 

Also this morning I thought I witnessed the highest gust I've seen in a long time at the top of Nosedive.  No idea on speed but it doubled me over.  I see a lot of wind but that one gust was another level.  One of those where you're like wow this is windy and then it gets some extra juice from somewhere and just goes nuts for 5 seconds.  I'd have to estimate 70-80mph range but I know wind estimates are total crapshoots.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.02” L.E.

We picked up a tenth of an inch of snow this morning before observations time, and then and additional 0.6” fell when stronger squalls came through.  According to the BTV NWS, today’s snow was from an upper level shortwave passing through the area.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

GYX has 1" for us at Bretton Woods today.  Is that more squalls?

Yeah, mid to late afternoon or so. Then it sort of morphs into that inverted trof feature if the HRRR is right, but that will be too fast east to really impact the mountains.

Gonna put this here as to not mess up the main model thread.  Call me crazy but at this point in the season either give me an epic, VDay 07 type of storm or nothing.  Don't get me wrong, if this was 2 weeks ago before we lost all the snow I would be giddy at the prospect of even a couple of inches of snow but at this point its nothing but garbage time buckets when your down by 20.  So we hit a few quick three's at the end to make the score look closer than it actually was, big deal.  Now, if we were progged to get some of the totals shown in SEMA, that would be a different story.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Gonna put this here as to not mess up the main model thread.  Call me crazy but at this point in the season either give me an epic, VDay 07 type of storm or nothing.  Don't get me wrong, if this was 2 weeks ago before we lost all the snow I would be giddy at the prospect of even a couple of inches of snow but at this point its nothing but garbage time buckets when your down by 20.  So we hit a few quick three's at the end to make the score look closer than it actually was, big deal.  Now, if we were progged to get some of the totals shown in SEMA, that would be a different story.

Im riding the GFS and going down with the ship :snowman:

But yea, 7" of 18:1 fluff is going to seem like piddly poo compared the feet upon feet near the coast if the Euro keeps holding steadfast.  Well at least its not like 24 hours out and we arent locked in, still time.......I hope.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Im riding the GFS and going down with the ship :snowman:

But yea, 7" of 18:1 fluff is going to seem like piddly poo compared the feet upon feet near the coast if the Euro keeps holding steadfast.  Well at least its not like 24 hours out and we arent locked in, still time.......I hope.

For me, It comes down to usefulness.  I won't' be able to snowmobile around my house, what would otherwise be a nice treat so it will just be window dressing at this point.  If we got huge numbers, I would be fine with others getting even bigger numbers.

55 minutes ago, adk said:

Let's see what the models look like Monday AM.  Then I'll feel like there is a reasonable chance what they show might happen. When there are hundreds of miles of divergence, I await more data. 

I'll take the 50% chance of something big, over 100% of nothing.  We wait.

22 minutes ago, Hitman said:

That's all I need to know.

BTV's AFD is terrific in its analysis of the solutions provided by the GFS and the EURO.  Here's the bit about the EURO.

However...the 00z/12z GEM/Euro paints a completely different story
across our region with much less impacts...as system stays unphased
with only minor impacts. The GEM/Euro solutions show two distinct
energy centers at 12z Tuesday with one located over the se CONUS
helping to develop low pres near Hatteras and northern stream over
the western Great Lakes. These two energy pieces never really phase
and keep our cwa on western edge of deeper qpf fields...as surface
low pres tracks southeast of the 40/70 benchmark and lies on the
eastern side of the guidance envelope. Taking these two solutions
verbatim would suggests advisory level snow eastern/southern
cwa...with maybe a couple inches here in the CPV.

Just got home after a white knuckler drive back from Dorset, just pure whiteout with these squalls. 

Went out for some dinner and drinks around 5pm and bare ground and came out 3 hours layer to 2 inches and S+. Had no idea it was even snowing.  Almost a carbon copy of last Friday.

Nice! They busted here.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.02” L.E.

They’ve all been on the low side with respect to accumulation, but there certainly hasn’t been a shortage of snow-producing systems thus far this March.  The arctic front that just came through was already the sixth event this month.  There was a tenth of an inch earlier yesterday, and then another 0.3” through midnight.  There was some additional accumulation after midnight, but it was less than a tenth of an inch due to those tiny arctic flakes.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 14.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

I hope anyone attending the Mardi Gras parade in Burlington, VT today will pack a flask of Brandy. It is going to be bitterly cold on Church St.

Still looking at zero from the underside here, though it's close, and winds gusting close to 30.  Morning low (-9) came at least 2 hours after sunrise, as CAA roared in.  WCI at MWN was -85 last hour, -33 with winds 81G92.  That's got to be close to record cold/WCI for March.

Archived