Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It'll be hit or miss but doesn't look to developinto a Spine-wide snow event as modeled.  Flow looks too fast to really develop a solid upslope band.  However the East side spotslike Stowe and Sugarbush probably have the best chance at a few inches with fast westerly flow pushing the squalls over the mountain and downwind.  

Im sure Jay will see/report 6-8" so there's that.  For Stowe I'd say 1-4" with a low probability of 5-6".  

It doesn't have the best signature. Now a month ago, that wouldn't have mattered. We'd be looking at 5-6" EASY. But now...not so much. I'm in the 2-3" windblasted snow range. For real good upslope snow the large parent low needs to be north to northeast of VT. Not west. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely puking snow for a bit in St. J though it looks to be just about done now.  Had some snow at the house as I left around 6:40 and then ran into another batch in Well River before hitting this last batch in St. J.

Wind is really ramping up in BTV right now. One just just cleared all the trees outside my condo. Had about an inch on them. Bare now. I'd say had to be 50+ 

Yeah it is blowing hard with ground blizzards

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

:o

Hit a wicked gust of 54mph at 9:06am, my second highest since 2005. Air was briefly filled with white pine twigs and blowing snow.

Scored an impressive 10-min average of 31mph.  Constant gusts in the low 40's.

What a great early Christmas present.

Very iffy not having a wind advisory out until around 8 this morning.

Just now, eyewall said:

Apparently I-89 was a mess between Williston and Richmond with several cars off the road. We are just not used to snow in the Banana Belt ;) 

It was TERRIBLE.  When I went to Stowe this am the road was damp and it was 34-36F.  It then snowed 1-2" and the temp fell to 27/28F.  You could feel your car not gripping super well.  When a big gust of wind came and the car wiggled it was def. sketchy. Glad I've got great snow tires and a lot of experience on that road.  Southbound lanes were all closed after the williston exit as at least 4 cars were off the road. 

6 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Gunstock Acres: 59 mph
Kona Point: 55mph
Me: 54 mph
Mohawk Island: 53 mph
Downtown Laconia: 45 mph
LCI: 44

Northfield:  29mph

Black Cat Island - 93 mph :whistle:  

JK, looks like 34 mph but I know there have been questions about their wind readings in the past.

1 hour ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insights regarding Monday - Wed upcoming? SingleChair report guy seems to be fairly optimistic. I know it is a way off, but anyone here see information worth sharing in your models/research?

Thank you :)

What does optimistic mean? Not terrible or Faceshots? What are you options? Sit home and do nothing or go to job? I mean the GFS hasn't given any real reason to get excited for that time frame. Nor does the NWS Local disco seem particularly stoked. Euro is even more south/east.  

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Gunstock Acres: 59 mph
Kona Point: 55mph
Me: 54 mph
Mohawk Island: 53 mph
Downtown Laconia: 45 mph
LCI: 44

Northfield:  29mph 30mph

250-290 is a crappy direction for me with those tall pines just to my west. SSE-SSW and NNW-NNE is more better.

2 hours ago, adk said:

What does optimistic mean? Not terrible or Faceshots? What are you options? Sit home and do nothing or go to job? I mean the GFS hasn't given any real reason to get excited for that time frame. Nor does the NWS Local disco seem particularly stoked. Euro is even more south/east.  

When I said optimistic --I meant that the Single Chair Report mentioned there would be a significant snow event. Hope that helps clarify! :)

As Brian noted very impressive winds today in our hood.

47mph for me.

My Davis station is at least 10 years old and seems to measure low.  Wouldn't old anemometers slowly measure lower and lower?  

I have a totally open view from SE through about 250.  Forest from 250ish northward.  So a very impressive gust. Interestingly the gust showed from a south direction.  Highest gust I have ever measured is 61mph many years ago.

Archived