Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We picked up 0.3” of snow this evening – the BTV NWS forecast discussion says it’s from the incoming arctic air mass with Lake Champlain enhancement.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 12.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We picked up 0.3” of snow this evening – the BTV NWS forecast discussion says it’s from the incoming arctic air mass with Lake Champlain enhancement.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 12.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Wow that is amazing to only see 0.5 at the stake there.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

I thought the snow out there today was simply a continuation of yesterday’s arctic air mass/Lake Champlain enhancement event, but the BTV NWS forecast discussion indicates that it’s from a specific shortwave trough, so I’m putting the accumulation into that event.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 8.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

56 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Wow that is amazing to only see 0.5 at the stake there.

There are actually a number of deeper areas of snowpack in the yard, but I try to have the stake in an “average” type of spot that doesn’t hold snow the longest, nor does it melt out first, so that’s what we’ve got at the moment (well, actually an inch as of this morning).  Everything is actually nicely covered now with the recent snows, but as I mentioned before, it’s much more like an early to mid-November type of snow covering vs. early March.  Checking my data, the mean snowpack depth for this date here is 17.0” ± 9.6” with a median depth of 16.5”, so we’re well below that.

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

There are actually a number of deeper areas of snowpack in the yard, but I try to have the stake in an “average” type of spot that doesn’t hold snow the longest, nor does it melt out first, so that’s what we’ve got at the moment (well, actually an inch as of this morning).  Everything is actually nicely covered now with the recent snows, but as I mentioned before, it’s much more like an early to mid-November type of snow covering vs. early March.  Checking my data, the mean snowpack depth for this date here is 17.0” ± 9.6” with a median depth of 16.5”, so we’re well below that.

Yeah looks like November in Stowe, too, after a few squalls.  The only difference is still some large crusty snowbanks in places and shaded spots...looks maybe more like an April cold shot in that regard.

Everything covered white but only 1" where the grass was showing, which was probably about half of the ground at least locally around me.  There are a decent amount of spots that still hold 6" in the woods and along my Rec Path route, but for the most part it was 50/50 coverage.  The problem with depths this time of year is that its either like 6" or zero.  Its tough to put a true value on it sometimes.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

There was an additional 0.3” of snow on the board as of 2:00 P.M. with the continuation of today’s snowfall event.

Details from the 2:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 13.6 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Saw -8 this AM for IZG and BML, and I'm guessing I'll find my temp was in that range when I check this evening - well below Sat/Sun mins (-3 and zero) but much easier to take in the calm.  Farmington's record low max for 3/4 is 12, and "is" probably gets revised to "was", as my afternoon high that day was 6.  Max for the day was 9, at my 9 PM obs on 3/3; Farmington obs is midnight, so they were undoubtedly well below that old record then.

Day 18 with no measurable snowfall.  Might end that with a tenth or two tomorrow before the changeover.

35 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Can we lock in the Euro for around the 14th/15th? LOL If that verified BTV would get to normal for a season after that event (20 incher).

Isn't BTV already at normal snowfall, last I saw they were only a few inches below where they should be.

Isn't BTV already at normal snowfall, last I saw they were only a few inches below where they should be.

What I meant is we would hit normal for an entire season not just to date.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

A scalping has commenced. For whatever reason I was hoping there would at least be a little snow at the start of this crap. 

Just what fell around here - a little snow.  Almost an inch in Augusta, 0.3" at home, first measurable since 2/16, might be the last until 3/14 or so.

29.7F  Very light freezing rain.  

Didn't expect it to be quite this cold, this late in the morning.  Temperature seems stuck but I should have figured this in my CAD location.

On an off topic note I was just looking at the DC Cherry Tree website.  Trees are getting close to a super early opening bloom. Three more days of 60's down there and then ouch....super cold with snow chances.  Wonder what a  couple nights in the low 20's will do.  Spoke to the folks in Baltimore.  Forsythia are opening.  Crazy early!

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.09” L.E.

We picked up a couple tenths of an inch of sleet last night as this current system was coming into the area.  After that there was an additional 0.01” of freezing rain.

Although we are behind average pace on snowfall for this point in the season, this storm marks the 47th accumulating snow/winter event of the winter, which hits the average mark for an entire winter season.  So whatever happens with snowfall from this point out, this season will have at least an average number of accumulating storms.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Sleet

Snow at the stake: Trace

31F  Miserable cold day.  Never got to freezing.  Very light off and on freezing drizzle and rain all day.  March insolution keeping pavement just wet except in shaded areas.

I'll edit my last post since it is now 645pm.  31.6F  (high of the day)  freezing drizzle and the side roads are a sheet of black ice.  I tried to drive to the other side of town and had to turn right around.  Worst conditions this season.  Town has not applied any sand or salt.  It was fine during the day with insolation but the ground has refrozen and made conditions treacherous at least on the side roads.    

Walking the dog in 4:30 darkness was an adventure.  The only safe footing on our road was where some of yesterday's 0.3" remained - wheel tracks were wet ice.  

Just began moderate rain in Augusta after a period of light/dz.  It's raised visibility to 1/4 mile from about 1/16 five minutes ago.

Models are not really showing it but what do you guys think about the upslope signal for Stowe / Green Mountains over the next three days?  3km NAM shows some streamers around mid Vermont on Thursday that sorta highlight what I'm thinking about.  A band ends up north of where it is modeled.

41 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

Models are not really showing it but what do you guys think about the upslope signal for Stowe / Green Mountains over the next three days?  3km NAM shows some streamers around mid Vermont on Thursday that sorta highlight what I'm thinking about.  A band ends up north of where it is modeled.

It'll be hit or miss but doesn't look to developinto a Spine-wide snow event as modeled.  Flow looks too fast to really develop a solid upslope band.  However the East side spotslike Stowe and Sugarbush probably have the best chance at a few inches with fast westerly flow pushing the squalls over the mountain and downwind.  

Im sure Jay will see/report 6-8" so there's that.  For Stowe I'd say 1-4" with a low probability of 5-6".  

Archived