Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ApacheTrout said:

Wednesday's high for BTV is forecasted to be 62F.  If achieved, that would be the third time this month that the all-time high Feb temp was met or exceeded.  That is insane.

Yeah that is crazy. 72F is the new record set on Sat. Well at least we nearly doubled last year's snowfall. 

20 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Either way this is a horrific stretch and this winter's best possible grade is a C- unless some major event not in the cards now occurs. The clock is ticking.

I'm still stuck with an F. The snowfall is just north of half the average, the temps have been consistently above normal to ridiculously above normal for the entire winter, and we've had an abundance of rain events that have kept the pond in lousy ice-skating condition.  I don't expect any more snow in March and April other than insignificant dustings that melt by the afternoon.

State of snowpack NW Lakes Region of NH

Took up the drone to look at the snowpack.  From looking out my window it looks almost snow free in the SW fields.  In reality about 75% of the landscape is still snow covered and it is substantial in the woods probably over a foot remaining in most places.   Here are 2 shots from the drone.  The one from above shows the drone position looking NE ward.  Yellow arrow shows direction.  I am in my little snow less patch up here.  That's why I have 20 deer in the fields every night.  Unfortunately we had 3 kills in the last 10 days from coyotes.   

snow 1.jpg

snow.jpg

15 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Anyone think they'll still be snow machine riding this weekend?  I want to head back up to Stinson Lake Area.  we're up around 1,300 feet so hopefully it'll hold? Don't want to make the trip if I'll just be grinding around. 

Hi Whineminster.   I'm 10 miles south of Stinson Lake and almost at the same elevation.  Perhaps they have a bit more snow up there but bare areas are now showing in open fields.  The next 48 hours will have continued melting so I'm guessing that riding would be pretty sketchy.  Maybe the trails up in the Whites might be a better bet.  Here is a drone flight I just took to my neighbors land.  You can get a good idea of current snowcover. 

35 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

State of snowpack NW Lakes Region of NH

Took up the drone to look at the snowpack.  From looking out my window it looks almost snow free in the SW fields.  In reality about 75% of the landscape is still snow covered and it is substantial in the woods probably over a foot remaining in most places.   Here are 2 shots from the drone.  The one from above shows the drone position looking NE ward.  Yellow arrow shows direction.  I am in my little snow less patch up here.  That's why I have 20 deer in the fields every night.  Unfortunately we had 3 kills in the last 10 days from coyotes.   

snow 1.jpg

snow.jpg

Wow that is sad to see that it has even been that decimated in your neck of the woods.

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Anyone think they'll still be snow machine riding this weekend?  I want to head back up to Stinson Lake Area.  we're up around 1,300 feet so hopefully it'll hold? Don't want to make the trip if I'll just be grinding around. 

I thought that I read somewhere, maybe on facebook, that the baker river valley club has closed their trails.

6 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

I thought that I read somewhere, maybe on facebook, that the baker river valley club has closed their trails.

Yeah but up near me it's the bruhawatchet sno-trackers....Often time it's bad in the valley but decent at elevation.

Judging by wxeyes pic tho it's probably pretty much all done....:-(

28 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Yeah but up near me it's the bruhawatchet sno-trackers....Often time it's bad in the valley but decent at elevation.

Judging by wxeyes pic tho it's probably pretty much all done....:-(

Check out Hardcoresledder.com.   I'm on there as is dryslot and Lava Rock, though they use different names. 

February totals: 50.3” Snow/3.81” L.E.

Snowfall in February was right on the edge of that ±1 S.D. range according to my data set, so not especially unusual.  However, what did stand out when I looked back at my data, was that this was the first 50” snowfall month in six seasons.  Coincidentally, or more likely not so coincidentally, finding that last 50” month meant going back to 2010-2011, the last time we had an above average snowfall season.

Another interesting thing to note was that virtually all (99.2%) of the snowfall this February fell in that wintry period during the first half of the month.  The month started off at a blistering pace for winter events, with 7 storms in the first 7 days.  There were 10 events in the first 11 days of the month – Feb 8th was the only day that didn’t have a distinct system during that period.  Obviously, continuing at that pace would have obliterated any February in my data set for snowfall, but the second half of the month presented such a dearth of snow that Feb 2017 didn’t even catch Feb 2008.

Regarding the recent slow period for snow, despite getting ahead of average snowfall for the season thanks to that first half of February, snowfall has actually fallen back behind average pace now.  There are some chances for snow in the forecast tomorrow and Monday though.  Average snowfall pace from here on out would still mean another 30 to 40 inches of snow, but we’ll have to see what Mother Nature has in store.

Very dense fog here in Augusta, can't see much beyond 100 yards.  A few bare patches on the lawns, mainly just south of buildings, where reflected warmth aids the melting.  Now showering here, recorded 0.11" at home for cocorahs with just a tiny bit of ice.

February numbers:

Avg high: 31.6  +2.6  
Highest was 54, on the 24th, mildest Feb temp in my 19 yr here, by 2F over 2/24/00 (and 23rd this yr)  10-11 highs were 9F. 

Avg low:  10.0   +4.2 
Lowest a modest -7 on the 3rd.  Low on 2/25 was 32, in the fog.

Avg mean:  20.8  +3.4 
Mildest mean was 41.5 on 2/24, also tops for 19 Febs.  Low mean was 2F on the 11th, as 7" of 35-to-1 feathers floated down.

Precip was 4.77"  +1.70" 
After 7 cons BN months Mar-Sep, 4 of 5 have been AN.  Biggest day was 1.47" on 13th, 4th greatest in Feb.  Top 5 all had snow (if the mush on 2/25/10 qualifies.)

Snowfall:  46.9"  +13.6" and my 2nd biggest for any month though Dec 07 and Feb 08 were less than 1" behind. 
The 5 storms 7th-16th dumped 45.0", but the month's final 12 days had only the handful of flakes on 2/26.  17" on 2/13 was the greatest day, part of the 21" total for that event.

Snow depth ranged from 19" early to 47" after the big dump, and averaged 30.6", easily reaching 2nd place for Feb though 5.5" lower than 2008.

Disappointing end for an otherwise great month.  This is my first winter here in which December was the coldest month.  In fact, 89-90 (in Gardiner) is my only other time in my 44 years in Maine when that occurred.  That winter, Dec was 16F colder than Jan and 12F colder than Feb.  This season the margin was a bit over 2F.

1230pm.   Miserable day.  39F  dark, thick fog.  Expecting a huge change very soon.  Warm air 20 miles SW!  Neighbor who has a big plow route called and asked me if he can take his sander rig off his truck today.  I said don't be fooled.  It's March 1 and ground is going to refreeze this weekend.  Easily could still be more frozen upcoming!

51 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Ho-hum, just another winter day near 70F. 

67F currently. 

50 miles to your ENE still socked in. Basically calm winds.    Up to 48F.   Took up the drone and hit the ceiling top about 600 feet overhead.  Partly cloudy.  Looked up and the clouds above were racing NE bound.  Got hit with strong winds.  Bet the temperature changes 10-20F?  within a few hundred feet....  Love this toy!

15 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

50 miles to your ENE still socked in. Basically calm winds.    Up to 48F.   Took up the drone and hit the ceiling top about 600 feet overhead.  Partly cloudy.  Looked up and the clouds above were racing NE bound.  Got hit with strong winds.  Bet the temperature changes 10-20F?  within a few hundred feet....  Love this toy!

Still dense fog over this way.  Temps holding steady around 42-43 degrees.  I do see a little movement in the trees, so maybe it's about to clear out.

What an interesting weather afternoon.  Dense fog and in the low 40's till early afternoon.   Then we sat (and still are) right on the edge of cold and warm air.  I was outside and the changes of temperature were amazing as the fog down below would  come in and out.  Down below it is still fogged in while I can see 40 miles.  

Video from mid afternoon till about 530pm.  Deer are loving the grass!

https://video.nest.com/clip/e89f28bf0cae46bbb5aecdd69d6ef47d.mp4

Archived