Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.85” L.E.

So this latest storm that passed to our northwest of our area and brought the rain snow was named Winter Storm Quid, although the focus for most or the winter weather with this event was much father to the west.  We actually got just a couple transient tenths of an inch of slushy accumulation last night when the rain changed over to big flakes of snow, but it was still too warm for anything lasting.  This morning’s snow accumulation (reported below) is from the snow/graupel we’ve been getting from the cold side of the storm.

As for snowpack, I cored it once this morning and got 1.97” of liquid, and felt it had to be in error because of how close it was to yesterday’s reading, so I cored it again being as conservative as possible to not get any extra amounts of the crumbly frozen granular into the cylinder… and got 1.81”.  After seeing that, I really don’t think there were any major issues with the first core, so I just averaged the two for my report to CoCoRaHS.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.8 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Last night has the prize for oddest day ever since I moved here.  63F in St. J when we left the planetarium at 3:30, the front came through around 8, heavy rain, a few bolts of lightning with the thunderstorm and within 10 minutes heavy snow. WTH?

In any event, our southwest facing yard is back to grass, the garden is exposed again after having 20'+ snow cover last week, almost all the snow piles are gone. Impressive melt for Feb. At least everything flash froze again so the driveway is once again treacherous :)

Cool shots eyewall, it reminds me of watching the aftermath of Irene from that spot in the early morning hours after hearing the roar from my apartment downstream 1/8 mile or so from there. Anyone manning the debris clearing machine?

Yes someone was in it as I just went back. I watched huge logs get thrown over the falls like toothpicks as well. I took more shots and will see if I caught that.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Awesome power and carnage captured in your shots. Shards of wood, whole logs, a torn-asunder Wallingford sign- all on the backdrop of a deluge- neat. All the different textures and structures the water takes on in those shots is really cool, also.

One of my favorite spots during flooding was going to the river walk next to the Cascades and looking across towards the Chase Mill. The tier-like descent of the river there made for some turbid and tumultuous waters, too.

Awesome power and carnage captured in your shots. Shards of wood, whole logs, a torn-asunder Wallingford sign- all on the backdrop of a deluge- neat. All the different textures and structures the water takes on in those shots is really cool, also.

One of my favorite spots during flooding was going to the river walk next to the Cascades and looking across towards the Chase Mill. The tier-like descent of the river there made for some turbid and tumultuous waters, too.

Yes that is a good spot also.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I saw earlier that Plymouth State College flooded because of an icejam...sucks big time 

Worst possible timing...early on a Sunday and virtually without warning. People were probably still sleeping and hungover after being out late on a Saturday night partying, so many probably never woke up and got the message until it was too late. Hopefully their insurance will cover it because flood inundation often totals a car. The university puts it in the parking contract that they're not responsible for car flood damage. Tough luck.

Any bird experts?   Bluebirds arrived today in the apple orchards.  I have never seen them this early. .  Looking at this cold wave late week temperatures could get down below 10-15F.  I don't even have the nest boxes up.   I  read that early spring cold waves can be deadly for them.   I wish they had not arrived so early.   Anyone have any input?  Thanks!

Ice on the Sandy River still looked tight yesterday afternoon, though the rapids under the New Sharon bridge are open.  I think much of its drainage got what I had Saturday - cool and foggy (my max was 39) followed by 1/2-3/4" RA in a few hours.  Given the still-substantial pack, runoff was somewhat limited.  I expected the Kennebec to have opened in Augusta, and maybe it will soon as the current is strong.  Part of the west side parking lot has been blocked off, in case the ice jams.  The channel is narrow in town, and a jam could flood that lot in a couple minutes.

Archived