Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

47F, clear skies and calm winds feels like 70F.  Outside without a jacket in a Tee shirt doing some snow cleanup.  Totally comfortable.  Neighbors just spend a couple hundred bucks having their entire roof shoveled today as well as patios etc.   Crew came over to see if I needed ours done.  Nope,  I think mother nature is going to take care of things all her own.  Here's a 3 minute drone clip of the hood, as you can see in this clip, Newfound Lake is finally frozen over but ice is very thin out in the main body.  Hope all is okay with so many people out on the big NH  lakes today

My world   2 18 2017

First half of this video was strangely stressful, lol.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice Gene!  Yeah feels like June out there right now lol. I'm walking the dog with just a long sleeve shirt.  Funny how 45F feels so warm but in October we are huddled around the wood stove.

Hi 49.7F!  PF,  Every time you mention your dog I think of that puppy picture you posted a couple of years back.  The one of him bounding over  the snow with his ears flapping around.  That picture brought a smile to my face.

Wonder by this time next weekend how much of a pack remains in NNE.  Solid pack will remain in the mountains of VT NH and most all of Maine but I bet the valleys will be showing some bare spots from at least my area south.   Lost about  8" today with compression and melting.  Now once it drops below freezing and glaciates the melting will be slower.  

15 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

First half of this video was strangely stressful, lol.  

Well eek,  maybe with a week of above normal temps and a deep snowpack melting  my pond will finally fill up.  It relies on runoff, 100%.   You sure don't need another season of me moaning about it and telling you (inaccurately) the last time it was dry!

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Well eek,  maybe with a week of above normal temps and a deep snowpack melting  my pond will finally fill up.  It relies on runoff, 100%.   You sure don't need another season of me moaning about it and telling you (inaccurately) the last time it was dry!

:P

Have you ever thought about putting a liner in?  A 30x30' pond liner is around $500.  I've always wanted a pond but my land is one big rock slope.

I finally found a spot I don't think had been trampled and measured 27" in the backyard.  Not too shabby.  I then went up on the garage roof and shoveled that and used the roof rake to get what little I could off the top of the house.  it was an absolutely beautiful day up here today.  

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

:P

Have you ever thought about putting a liner in?  A 30x30' pond liner is around $500.  I've always wanted a pond but my land is one big rock slope.

eek,  I have thought about it.  I guess we would have to do it when the pond is dry again.  As you know that has only happened a couple of times  since we excavated the hole and created it perhaps 15 years ago now.  Sediment slowly does flow in so don't know how that would work with a liner. Also kind of a funky shape too.   I spend enough $$ on this 15 acre property and 223 year old house.  I think we will just watch it ebb and flow so to speak each year depending on rainfall or lack there of......

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it was like a 22 day storm lol.  

Its really hard to seperate it out into "storms" as the climo is a bit different than other areas where there's usually a very distinct storm every time it snows (i.e. Increasing clouds, then it snows, then decreasing clouds).  Like where I grew up in Albany you had very specific storms that makes it easy to remember dates and stuff.  Like snow was almost always associated with a specific low pressure system.  

This up here is more like upper level trough moving across that triggers some snow for 8 hours then it stops after 4-6".  Then a return flow warm FROPA drops 4" like 12 hours later. Then a break fora few hours followed by a weak shortwave that leaves a few more inches before tapering off.  Then a few hours later the wind shifts to WNW and it rips out another several inches.  

Like the last "storm" left 4" of WAA snows overnight putting 4" in one day's total, then nothing happened for 8 hours.  The inverted trough organized and dropped 9" prior to the next 6am reading.  Then the NW flow dropped 5" that day and it stopped.  Some other disturbance 6-hours later rotating around the cyclonic flow (still associated with the upper level low that crushed Maine) came through and dropped another 6".  

So the upper level trough associated with that inverted trough and developing maritime low left the following:

Day 1...4"...12am-6am (overnight SW flow and WAA). 

Day 2...9"....4pm-6am (inverted trough and instability squalls). 

Day 3...11"....6am-2pm saw 5"...break for five hours...7pm-6am another 6" fell on NW flow.  

So that "storm total" is 24 inches but not in the way a lot of people think of it.  Like it didn't start snowing and drop 24" before ending...it was a combination of SW flow ahead of the trough, then break, then inverted trough, then break, then NW flow.  

And it did that off and on for 22 days, timed right so every 6am reading had measurable snow in the previous 24 hours.  

Lots of times it's just some vorticity or trough passing overhead fires up the snow for 6-8 hours then it shuts off...then SW flow brings a Lake Ontario snow band into the area that sprays a few more inches, etc.  As long as there's wind and moisture, there doesn't really need to be a specific storm.  

Yeah I gotcha. Impressive stuff. Although I guess my only gripe would be that I would like to see the sun once in awhile lol.

20 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Took a trip up into the weenie belt of S VT today and I found 41-42" at the 2.2K level. The snow stick in the photo is 40.5" long. While not very official, it's the best I could do with what I've got. I need to get some better snow measuring equipment. Any suggestions? Anyway, the top 24" or so is soft, but everything underneath is a glacier. Pretty impressive, but probably not epic for that location. I'd probably reserve using "epic" for depths of >= 50" there. I wonder when they last had that amount. 2011? 2010? 2008? I'm not sure, modeled NOHRSC depth isn't always that accurate sometimes. 30" would meet epic criteria in Lenox, something we've not done in 6 years now.

Depth here in Lenox is around 12-14", depending on where you measure, down from 15-16" a few days ago. The snow pack depth is pretty uniform around here until you get a little north of North Adams where it increases to around 20". Once you start climbing in S VT it goes from 20" to 40" in a matter of 2-3 miles. Elevation is hugely important around there and the mesoscale differences are nothing short of amazing to observe as you drive around. 

Woodford had a nice upslope event on Wednesday and Thursday with 17" of fluff per the ALY PNS. The webcam on Route 9 at 2K just west of the crest looked like a full blown snowstorm while Dover just east of Mt. Snow looked partly cloudy . Yesterday's event was definitely a bit blocked.

IMG_1938-min.JPG

IMG_1937-min.JPG

I was thinking the other day after that upslope barage that Woddford was probably around 50" depth(not sure how different it is from your location though?)

Flow was so blocked that nothing made it over the Taconics to my west into the valley here, so only got like an inch in Manchester.

I was up at Stratton on Friday and depths aren't as impressive as down in your spot in the 1800-2200ft range. Seemed like 30ish maybe in that elevation where people actually live.

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I was thinking the other day after that upslope barage that Woddford was probably around 50" depth(not sure how different it is from your location though?)

Flow was so blocked that nothing made it over the Taconics to my west into the valley here, so only got like an inch in Manchester.

I was up at Stratton on Friday and depths aren't as impressive as down in your spot in the 1800-2200ft range. Seemed like 30ish maybe in that elevation where people actually live.

Per the radar, there was some spillover there, but not as much upslope as Woodford had. There was a road that hadn't been plowed in about 2 days and it had 6-7" of snow on it, which I assumed was mostly from Thursday. I've gone up there after other W to NW upslope events and found a similar tale; some snow, not as much spots just to the NW, but more than places to the E. I didn't venture up to Woodford, but they may have had 45-50" before the warm up.

I believe my spot had around 12-15" in the November 21st upslope event. Woodford had a bit over 2', but just to the E by Wilmington and Whitingham, much less. There doesn't seem to be as much variation between my spot and Woodford easterly flow events, although sometimes Mt. Snow and over toward Dover and West Wardsboro can jackpot during easterly flows.

9 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

What a torch this evening.  Almost 10pm.   50.5F.  Yet 10 miles to my north and down in the valley Plymouth airport  is 27F

I noticed that Alex's station up at Bretton Woods had an amazing temp swing today.  -5.1F to 47.7F in about 12 hours.  Pretty impressive!

Yeah MVL ASOS had a 47F rise in 12 hours too.

52.3F  after a low of 37F.   That's two 50F plus days in a row.  Quick melt/compression of about a foot of snow.  Now the melt will become much slower.  We have about 10-12" remaining but just under the top 2 or 3" marshmallow stuff is a solid hard sleet layer of about 2" from an earlier winter storm.  It's still rock hard.  So once we glaciate teh marshmallow layer tonight it should become the durable stuff that takes a huge amount of energy to melt.  No quick lawn patches for my deer.

Today began with bright sun and sunrise temps mid 30s plus calm winds - felt like May.  Clouds rolled in mid-morning, capping temps in the high 40s, with a few sprinkles while I shoveled the porch roof detritus (2nd shoveling in 5 days) that had tumbled onto the path to my max-min instrument - also to the oil filler pipe.   Friday we paid a payloader operator to clear the road next to the house so we could get mail delivery - our regular mail carrier said that over 100 mailboxes were snowed in, so perhaps 1/4 of our town's 1,400 people. 

Tried to sample a core yesterday, in the 42" pack (it's settled a couple inches since.)  SWE came to 9.71" though I'm not sure I got it all due to 3 different crusts that needed to be cut through (which I did crudely)  so they wouldn't break into pieces and compromise the core.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Today began with bright sun and sunrise temps mid 30s plus calm winds - felt like May.  Clouds rolled in mid-morning, capping temps in the high 40s, with a few sprinkles while I shoveled the porch roof detritus (2nd shoveling in 5 days) that had tumbled onto the path to my max-min instrument - also to the oil filler pipe.   Friday we paid a payloader operator to clear the road next to the house so we could get mail delivery - our regular mail carrier said that over 100 mailboxes were snowed in, so perhaps 1/4 of our town's 1,400 people. 

Tried to sample a core yesterday, in the 42" pack (it's settled a couple inches since.)  SWE came to 9.71" though I'm not sure I got it all due to 3 different crusts that needed to be cut through (which I did crudely)  so they wouldn't break into pieces and compromise the core.

Impressive 

We headed up to Lincoln Gap for a ski tour yesterday, and while heading through the Mad River Valley, the snowpack seemed a bit lower than I would have expected.  Using driveways that had been cleanly cut with snow throwers as a reference, I’d say the depth was about half of what I’m seeing at our place.  That was in the valley bottom of course, so it’s possible that those areas didn’t quite make out as well as areas farther north at similar elevations.

Snow was certainly plentiful with a bit of elevation though – we toured from where Lincoln Gap Road is closed (~1,500’) on up to ~2,200’, and even at those relatively low mountain elevations there’s feet of base.  Steep slopes and creeks are all filled in and ready to ride.  Powder depth in the area was consistently around 18” from our measurements.  The powder was starting to get a bit wet by the end of the tour, but it held up pretty nicely for most of it.  I’ve added a few pictures from the tour below, and there are lots of additional shots in the full report on our website.

18FEB17P.jpg

18FEB17U.jpg

18FEB17C.jpg

18FEB17D.jpg

Nice day with my boys on Kearsarge North today; it was warm.  Saw some hiking in shorts. We were a little more bundled in this pic because after hiking up we were sledding down. Looking forward to skiing Wildcat and hearing about how we should have been here last week.  2008 was more snow in the MWV, but this isn't bad (aside from today's torch).

20170219_154915s1000.jpg

Archived