Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

35 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Don't think we'll get more than another 1". Pretty lame when 18-24" was on the map. I get the storm developed a bit farther east, but it really reduced totals.

You know things are going good when a foot-plus snowfall draws a "pretty lame" comment.    ;) 

14.0" by 7 AM, about 1"/hr since 5P yesterday, though lighter now.  Depth up to 43".

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

We're spoiled lately, but I thought the Thurs storm was more intense.

Spoiled for sure.  Got only 4.5" Thurs but 3 days before that one was a whiff.  Then 8" Sat from a 2-4" forecast, thanks to ratios 30+, prettiest snow event in a long time with all-day feathers.  Should the midweek storm be serious, might crack 50" at the stake.  Worst part of the current storm was the media mega-hype.

This might be my favorite synoptic event since moving here. We had an 18 inch event in my first winter but this one had better rates/snow growth and intensity. It also didn't get blasted out of the trees until now so it was much more picturesque (I will post some shots later as I had to sneak out around the neighborhood before work).

41 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Official NWS total at BTV is 10.6" right now. My total as of now is 10.5" so no slant stick here :)

I'm in a snowier spot. I took 4 measurements when I got back from the mtn this am (tooooo many people for a monday). I have 14" on a fence, 13.5 on a grill top, 15" on a driveway and 14 on a table. So I'm calling it 14 in my southend BTV home. 

2 minutes ago, adk said:

I'm in a snowier spot. I took 4 measurements when I got back from the mtn this am (tooooo many people for a monday). I have 14" on a fence, 13.5 on a grill top, 15" on a driveway and 14 on a table. So I'm calling it 14 in my southend BTV home. 

Very cool. That is our depth with some snow on the ground going into this one.

Under 5 dBZ bands and have nice big dendrites right now.  Yesterday morning was under 30-35dBZ and it was spitting snow grains on SE winds.:lol:

Oh well, as others have said, just some deep, deep winter out there right now.  Banks and piles are pretty impressive.  Even for here, there haven't been too many pure fluff events.

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 13.1” Snow/0.83” L.E.

Snowfall at the house is currently light, but the flakes are quite large with diameters up to 15 mm, so it’s accumulating fairly efficiently.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.1

Snow Density: 5.8% H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.5 inches

Nice. Its impossible for you not to do well in any setup it seems. Underhill reported just 3.8" on the west slopes.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Very cool. That is our depth with some snow on the ground going into this one.

My readings were from spots that had been previously bare. My depths are about 16" otherwise. 

Also, BTV seems to have lost the collective sense of how to shovel.  Been a long time since a shovel worth snow and people are doing a lot of flailing and back jerking. 

6 minutes ago, adk said:

My readings were from spots that had been previously bare. My depths are about 16" otherwise. 

Also, BTV seems to have lost the collective sense of how to shovel.  Been a long time since a shovel worth snow and people are doing a lot of flailing and back jerking. 

No worries I am not questioning you. There were alot of small scale things going on.

Archived