Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from 90+ miles of snowmobiling in the Orange, Groton Peacham, Marshfield area. Snow started around 11:00 and soon visibility dropped to a mile or less. Tons of snow in the woods in this area. The best though was before it started snowing. As we were going over Butterfield Mountain, between Orange and Groton, we got into the clouds. Trees were covered with rime ice and it was misty. It was a really surreal feeling. One in our group had a go-pro set to take pictures every 60 seconds but when we stopped when she checked and the battery was dead. Hopefully she got some pics before it died. Eyeballed around 6" on the porch when we got back. 

Just now, mreaves said:

Nice pics. You haven't lost your touch with snow pics despite the recent lack of oppurtunities. Should have sent up the drone. I would love to see a heavy snowfall from the perspective. 

The winds were getting nasty and I was worried it might have been too much moisture for it but yeah that would have been awesome. Thank you by the way! 

Event totals: 5.9” Snow/0.47” L.E.

Snow started up around midday, so the snowfall rate has been running around 1”/hr. right in line with what the Winter Storm Warning from the BTV NWS suggested.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.47 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.6

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 25.3 F

Sky: Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nice pics eyewall, looks like some good snow growth during thay +SN.

There definitely was. The winds have kicked in now and it looks like Debbie Downslope has arrived for now. It is evident on the Wunderground radar as well. Hopefully we will pick up a little more on the back end when winds go NNW. 

1 minute ago, eyewall said:

There definitely was. The winds have kicked in now and it looks like Debbie Downslope has arrived for now. It is evident on the Wunderground radar as well. Hopefully we will pick up a little more on the back end when winds go NNW. 

Yea, I can see that. I have had gusty SE winds all day, so annoying. Terrible snow growth, but pounded for a few hours during that fronto band anyway.  Winds have calmed a bit and DDH asos winds are now North, so hope to make up some ground to get to double figures.

I'm at about 6"

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, I can see that. I have had gusty SE winds all day, so annoying. Terrible snow growth, but pounded for a few hours during that fronto band anyway.  Winds have calmed a bit and DDH asos winds are now North, so hope to make up some ground to get to double figures.

I'm at about 6"

Yeah I am just glad we got what we did before it kicked in. It is almost down to flurries here now. Hopefully as I said we can still add some on the back end.

You guys will do well (relative to east side) once winds go more NNW.  This has a Champlain Valley convergence look but the amount of moisture remains to be seen.  Snow growth is usually great in that stuff too with the low level CAA and normal winter temps.  

I don't like when coastal take off E or even SSE as the low level wind profile is often blocked.  Not enough westerly orientation to push it over the mountain on this side, and the flow sort of splits the Spine when it gets northerly...but the momentum and convergence is usually felt down near MRG/Sugarbush in these situations.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You guys will do well (relative to east side) once winds go more NNW.  This has a Champlain Valley convergence look but the amount of moisture remains to be seen.  Snow growth is usually great in that stuff too with the low level CAA and normal winter temps.  

I don't like when coastal take off E or even SSE as the low level wind profile is often blocked.  Not enough westerly orientation to push it over the mountain on this side, and the flow sort of splits the Spine when it gets northerly...but the momentum and convergence is usually felt down near MRG/Sugarbush in these situations.  

Yeah NWS seems to think it will pick back up later tonight here.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Check out the snow cam for the last 2 hours.  Crazy snow and wind.  Can't even make out the stake.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

RT 108 stopped or closed... state plow just turned around and went up the wrong travel lane.

6.5" at 6pm for base of Mansfield total.

FullSizeRender_zpsdwyhchxg.jpg

Great day at Stowe today.

I must have been right behind you heading down from the Mtn. Made it home safe but took 5x longer.

I'm  starting to think your 8-12" is to conservative, ha ha

Archived