• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Even the BTV NWS is sick of this pattern:

Of bigger concern is the next system which will be on our
doorstep by 12z Sunday. Ignoring the 00z GFS which went a little
rogue, the GEM and ECMWF remain consistent highlighting the
potential for yet another mixed precipitation event (sigh)

Yea, I was just looking at that event....ugh.  At this point looks like another mix to rain. Still time I guess.

Not a ton of cold air around on the Euro.  Its like 75F in DC too while were in the mid 30's with rain.

49 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Even the BTV NWS is sick of this pattern:

Of bigger concern is the next system which will be on our
doorstep by 12z Sunday. Ignoring the 00z GFS which went a little
rogue, the GEM and ECMWF remain consistent highlighting the
potential for yet another mixed precipitation event (sigh)

I wish I could but the past two weeks have just been a mountain orgasm, lol.

For someone who gets joy out of measuring fresh snow and skiing it daily, here's our daily snowfall starting on January 27th:

8"/6"/1"/4"/Dusting/1"/3"/9"/10"/1"/5"/8"/3" 

Its hilarious as locals in Stowe think this is the greatest winter since sliced bread right now....I think last winter really re-set everyone's expectations in a new way (like getting pumped for 3" of WAA snow before rain).  You go into Piecasso for a beer and its all high fives haha.  Might be different after today though. 

Now we have like 3-7 feet of natural snow on the ground that is going to be rock solid.

The 12" in my yard though should solidify nicely, lol.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I wish I could but the past two weeks have just been a mountain orgasm, lol.

For someone who gets joy out of measuring fresh snow and skiing it daily, here's our daily snowfall starting on January 27th:

8"/6"/1"/4"/Dusting/1"/3"/9"/10"/1"/5"/8"/3" 

Its hilarious as locals in Stowe think this is the greatest winter since sliced bread right now....I think last winter really re-set everyone's expectations in a new way.  You go into Piecasso for a beer and its all high fives haha.  Might be different after today though. 

Now we have like 3-7 feet of natural snow on the ground that is going to be rock solid.

The 12" in my yard though should solidify nicely, lol.

15-20 miles as the crow flies separates full ratter from pure bliss this year. Since last year is the F standard as far as grading for my backyard it is D- lol.

1 minute ago, eyewall said:

15-20 miles as the crow flies separates full ratter from pure bliss this year. Since last year is the F standard as far as grading for my backyard it is D- lol.

:lol:

I should do some historical context look at the BTV snowfall.

At this pace we will both look back on this winter in 180 degree ways. 

Looks like BTV is almost double the snowfall from last winter though...I'm surprised you're only a foot below normal.  I thought it was more than that (36" vs. 48").

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol:

I should do some historical context look at the BTV snowfall.

At this pace we will both look back on this winter in 180 degree ways. 

Looks like BTV is almost double the snowfall from last winter though...I'm surprised you're only a foot below normal.  I thought it was more than that (36" vs. 48").

Is it all really that abnormal? You posted the other day that BTV mean depth is like 6" in Jan. They have a few right now, so not far off and also the normal season to datel snowfall isn't that far off like you just posted.  I haven't see the Mansfield graph, but guessing you are above normal, but not off the charts?

I guess since last year was SOOOO bad everywhere including at 4K, that this year makes the discrepancies seem larger.  I guess the 2 years without a 6" storm also hurts.

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Is it all really that abnormal? You posted the other day that BTV mean depth is like 6" in Jan. They have a few right now, so not far off and also the normal season to datel snowfall isn't that far off like you just posted.  I haven't see the Mansfield graph, but guessing you are above normal, but not off the charts?

I guess since last year was SOOOO bad everywhere including at 4K, that this year makes the discrepancies seem larger.  I guess the 2 years without a 6" storm also hurts.

solidly above normal actually

http://www.uvm.edu/~empact/data/gendateplot.php3?table=SummitStation&title=Mount+Mansfield+Summit+Station&xskip=7&xparam=Date&yparam=Depth&year[]=2016&width=600&height=400&smooth=0

8 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Wow, I was just quickly refreshing myself on the BTV monthly snowfall numbers using your link.  Did you guys ever notice how little difference there is between the February and March snowfall averages? – it’s basically just a couple of inches.  That’s really interesting – in the data for my site going from February to March basically cuts monthly snowfall in half.  I wonder if orographic events in the lower elevations of the mountains wane or something in March.  That’s pretty cool from a BTV perspective though – things are definitely not over in March with respect to the averages and the rest of the season.

12 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

No Mansfield is running top tier right now.  

Its not common to hit near 80" in early February.  

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Wow, I was just quickly refreshing myself on the BTV monthly snowfall numbers using your link.  Did you guys ever notice how little difference there is between the February and March snowfall averages? – it’s basically just a couple of inches.  That’s really interesting – in the data for my site going from February to March basically cuts monthly snowfall in half.  I wonder if orographic events in the lower elevations of the mountains wane or something in March.  That’s pretty cool from a BTV perspective though – things are definitely not over in March with respect to the averages and the rest of the season.

7 of the top 20 snowstorms where in March, more than any other month. Im guessing that factors into it, and probably some other relatively big ones not on the top 20 list.

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yes, I saw the graph when qgomega posted it, so the discrepancy is pretty big. But BTV isn't in full ratter territory.

Yeah I get why there's talk of ratter but 36" is 36".

It would be different mentally I think if it was 3 warning events that made up that snow though.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I get why there's talk of ratter but 36" is 36".

It would be different mentally I think if it was 3 warning events that made up that snow though.

24.1 inches of snow on 7.56 liquid equivalent from 11/01 to 2/08 at my house.   BTV January +11.5 departure, February +5.4 departure to date.   There's no other way to describe winter here in the CPV but full ratter. 

1 minute ago, ApacheTrout said:

24.1 inches of snow on 7.56 liquid equivalent from 11/01 to 2/08 at my house.   BTV January +11.5 departure, February +5.4 departure to date.   There's no other way to describe winter here in the CPV but full ratter. 

Apahce, what is your average there?

I didn't realize how far down the CPV you are..you aren't THAT far form me really.

Ended yesterday's storm with about 4".  3ish of snow and then a ton of sleet last night. 

Wow on tomorrow's storm for SNE.  It seems so long since NNE has had a true bomb of a storm with really near blizzard conditions and a wide spread 1-2 foot snow?  Maine got one on 12/31/16 but other areas have missed.

40 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

Fair enough, I'm in no position to argue as you are there and I am not, ha ha.

I hope the drought ends with like some four footer jackpot only in the Champlain Valley that puts BTV above normal for the season in March.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I hope the drought ends with like some four footer jackpot only in the Champlain Valley that puts BTV above normal for the season in March.

Hey PF, I know its not us but do you know the projected start and stop times for tomorrow's shindig in SNE?  A colleague has to drive down to New Haven for his father's funeral.  I told him that he should leave today if possible.

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Hey PF, I know its not us but do you know the projected start and stop times for tomorrow's shindig in SNE?  A colleague has to drive down to New Haven for his father's funeral.  I told him that he should leave today if possible.

No idea but it looks daytime tomorrow and given the duration and intensity you won't want to be in it.  Today definitely.

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Me, too!  And regardless of what happens here on the ground, I hope you continue to see great stretches like the one you just experienced.  Snow in the mountains is a win for Vermont.

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Torch fest. 46F.

Side question. I know the use of snow cores to measure ratios is preferred, but can I use the melted snow that has fallen into my rain gauge? We had 5" SN and it melted down to 0.34" liquid, therefore 14.7:1.

If there was no wind and it fell straight into it, probably be pretty accurate. Taking a core off a board is more full proof in my opinion.

Your not talking about your Davis are you?

You have one of these too right?

rain-gauge-fig3.jpg

27 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Torch fest. 46F.

Side question. I know the use of snow cores to measure ratios is preferred, but can I use the melted snow that has fallen into my rain gauge? We had 5" SN and it melted down to 0.34" liquid, therefore 14.7:1.

Looking quickly at cocorahs in Maine, there weren't many places, if any that had ratios that high. So I would say its probably not accurate.

Okay OceanWx....   Living right in the SE part of Grafton County  (where much of the population of our county is)  I would say looking at everything at 345pm that some kind of advisory/watch/warning should be issued for tomorrows storm. .  From what I see everything shows at least 6" but nothing issued at all.   I know its hard with these big counties.  Wish they could be broken up into smaller zones as our weather is so different than just 25 miles NW.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ended yesterday's storm with about 4".  3ish of snow and then a ton of sleet last night. 

Wow on tomorrow's storm for SNE.  It seems so long since NNE has had a true bomb of a storm with really near blizzard conditions and a wide spread 1-2 foot snow?  Maine got one on 12/31/16 but other areas have missed.

Great storm in late Dec, with inland areas in south & central Maine getting 18-27" of solid snow.  Winds were meh, however - can't have everything, and my snowpack hasn't dipped below 17" since that event.

Did not see many stations with LE that low - most ran 1/2" to 1".  I'm about 50 miles NNE from your location and over 300' lower, so not necessarily an apt comparable, and the ratio for my 5.2" was 7:1 (0.75" LE.)    I'm guessing your gauge missed some.

Archived