• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Truly great pics.  What a fantastic setup for a pretty small geographic area.  That's CoC winter weather for you, right there.

Now, back to reality.  BTV is giving the heads up for a dreadful mess on Tuesday/Wednesday.

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...
As of 344 AM EST Saturday...Main concern in the extended is the Tuesday through Wednesday night time period. Everything remains
on track for a widespread precipitation event...especially Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon. With main low
pressure system remaining to our west and little secondary development along the coast to hold colder air in longer...it
looks like snow at the onset before changing over to sleet...freezing rain...and rain. Based on the thermal profiles it
appears we could be seeing a bit more freezing rain from the Green Mountains westward with the warmest air aloft moving in
and sleet holding in a bit longer east of the Greens before going over to freezing rain and eventually rain by Wednesday. No
matter what it definitely looks like messy weather. On Wednesday everyone should see rain for the most part with highs
in the upper 30s to mid 40s. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

You can get dry aggs too. I saw those a few times. It's definitely in ideal SG conditions with the dendrites locking and clinging as they fall.

Maybe those dry ones come together due more to molecular attraction than from moist stickiness, which would be in short supply at dendrite-friendly temps around 5F.  Biggest single dendrites I've seen were about 1/4" wide.  In the snowflake book we gave to our snow-loving granddaughter for b-day #9 (has incredible high-mag pics - Snowflake Bentley updated with 21st century tech), the author/photographer noted that the biggest he'd observed in decades of study were about 10 mm.

My Jan stats. Pretty warm.

Averages\Extremes for the month of January 2017

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Average temperature     = 27.4°F
 Average humidity        = 70%
 Average dewpoint        = 18.2°F
 Average barometer       = 29.533 in.
 Average windspeed       = 1.0 mph
 Average gustspeed       = 2.2 mph
 Average direction       = 309° ( NW)
 Rainfall for month      = 0.020 in.
 Rainfall for year       = 2.960 in.
 Maximum rain per minute = 0.040 in on day 25 at time 13:55
 Maximum temperature     = 51.3°F on day 11 at time 14:36
 Minimum temperature     = -0.6°F on day 09 at time 06:53
 Maximum humidity        = 100% on day 13 at time 06:06
 Minimum humidity        = 27% on day 13 at time 13:32
 Maximum dewpoint        = 47.7°F on day 12 at time 17:52
 Minimum dewpoint        = -11.7°F on day 09 at time 7:21
 Maximum pressure        = 30.24 in. on day 14 at time 03:29
 Minimum pressure        = 28.70 in. on day 26 at time 17:53
 Maximum windspeed       = 9.2 mph from 023°(NNE) on day 24 at time 17:50
 Maximum gust speed      = 31.1 mph from 270°( W ) on day 27 at time 10:57
 Maximum heat index      = 51.3°F on day 11 at time 14:36
 Avg daily max temp :34.8°F
 Avg daily min temp :21.0°F
 Total windrun = 765.1miles
 Frost days= 28
 Ice days= 11
 Very cold days= 9

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That's pretty funny. AN snow on Mansfield and unprecedented streak there at BTV. That's mind boggling.

I can't believe it's essentially the same county.

76" snow depth vs bare ground all winter.  Even with the elevation factored in it's like 15 miles apart.  

Anyway, snowing nicely out at home.  Probably in the 1sm -SN range.  

Ill have to look but these patterns this year have led to some ridiculous like 2 week long stretches of flakes every day.  It doesn't add up to much but there's a psychological effect of it feeling "snowy" when at least once a day there's a couple hours of flakes falling.

WUNIDS_map_zpsba5i9phb.gif

I’m passing along an update from Bolton Valley today.  We spent the morning at Timberline in the 1,500’ to 2,500’ elevation range and even though I’m sure the powder has settled somewhat compared to yesterday, we still found a foot of powder above the subsurface.  I thought the powder skiing would be pretty modest after the settling of such light Champlain Powder™, but it was still going strong – after two runs a swapped out my mid fats for my full fats because that’s what the snow called for.  The sun was often out and we had some great light.  I’ve added a few shots below and the full report is available at our website.

04FEB17A.jpg

04FEB17B.jpg

04FEB17C.jpg

1 hour ago, adk said:

00Z GFS is significantly colder for Tues-Wed event. But not in a good way.  Looks like a freezing rain event now for a large portion of the BTV CWA and esp the mtns.  Would greatly prefer straight rain to a round of heavy ice. 

I'm with you...the freezing rain layer from 10 days ago is that blue ice that shows itself occasionally in the skied off areas.

That's why we leveled and groomed Centerline last night for only like the 3rd time this season.  The stuff between the bumps isn't your normal ice...its aqua in color.

I'm with you, sleet or snow or plain rain.  Freezing rain, well, freezes to the surface of the snow.  Plain rain will drain and at least get further down in the pack before it locks up.  We've got plenty of snowpack (76" at the COOP stake and 30" at the base)...we don't need freezing rain to protect and preserve it.  Much rather have it rain and drain than rain and freeze.

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

fyi to Chris at GYX....that precip for CON on 1/31 in the F6 looks way too high. Not sure if you use the observer's number or the ASOS, but the ASOS has 0.01" IIRC. The F6 has 0.30". I'm pretty confident most of us pulled 0.10"-0.20" in that light fluff event.

Hmm, looks like a fat finger maybe. Our observer had the same 0.01" but here's the key 0.3" snowfall. I'm guessing someone put the snow in for the precip by accident.

15 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I’m passing along an update from Bolton Valley today.  We spent the morning at Timberline in the 1,500’ to 2,500’ elevation range and even though I’m sure the powder has settled somewhat compared to yesterday, we still found a foot of powder above the subsurface.  I thought the powder skiing would be pretty modest after the settling of such light Champlain Powder™, but it was still going strong – after two runs a swapped out my mid fats for my full fats because that’s what the snow called for.  The sun was often out and we had some great light.  I’ve added a few shots below and the full report is available at our website.

04FEB17A.jpg

Pretty sure I saw this guy at Stowe today, haha.  Was loading the Quad and he skied Lower Liftline and for the life of me couldn't figure out why he looked so familiar...then I realized I had just saw this post a couple hours earlier ha.  

The BV sticker gave it away.

This is crazy.  I saw a few flurries falling at home now and looked at the radar.

This same radar signature was bringing like 1-3"/hr snowfall rates on Friday.  Today its looks like its probably snowing decently above 3,000ft but not much is happening below that.

Unless all the sudden it just starts dumping this is one of the stronger virga situations I've seen in a while.  Usually this radar look is pounding snow.

That donut hole around BTV is normal in these events as SW flow downslopes off the Adirondacks and then upslopes into the Greens. 

Feb_5_virga_zpsp46byqdw.gif

While eyewall is bemoaning the lack of winter in BTV, just like my friend who lives in Essex, on this side of the spine, there is winter to be found. This picture is take from a lookout in Stannard, VT. Its is above Cole's Pond at the top of Stannard Mt. I think it's around 2500'. Looking east, you can see that Mt. Washington was socked in a bit but the view was still spectacular. 

IMG_0723.JPG

While eyewall is bemoaning the lack of winter in BTV, just like my friend who lives in Essex, on this side of the spine, there is winter to be found. This picture is take from a lookout in Stannard, VT. Its is above Cole's Pond at the top of Stannard Mt. I think it's around 2500'. Looking east, you can see that Mt. Washington was socked in a bit but the view was still spectacular. 

IMG_0723.JPG

Very cool and I am grateful the mountains have cashed in. I also won't forget the epic day on Friday. I saw warning level snow fall just not imby. I was able to ski it as well.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, eyewall said:

Very cool and I am grateful the mountains have cashed in. I also won't forget the epic day on Friday. I saw warning level snow fall just not imby. I was able to ski it as well.

I'm just kidding with you. It's been frustrating here too, though not nearly to the same level. Check out the drifting in this picture from just down the mountain in Wheelock. Ginxy would approve. 

IMG_0727.JPG

I'm just kidding with you. It's been frustrating here too, though not nearly to the same level. Check out the drifting in this picture from just down the mountain in Wheelock. Ginxy would approve. 

IMG_0727.JPG

Haha no worries. 2-5 on the front end of this next one will feel like 10 lol.

8 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Haha no worries. 2-5 on the front end of this next one will feel like 10 lol.

I'm not sold on 2-5" at BTV... 1-3" would be what I'd expect.  Prepare for a Dusting to 2" and be happy with anything more.

But don't have to tell you, you're a Met and know what the models show, haha.

Archived