Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

#notmansnow

This is the classic "foo foo fluff"....but it pounded.  Feels like being in a low-grade lake effect band with consistent 1-2"/hr through 1-2pm. 

After all the denser snow we saw last week from upslope, this was the real deal Champlain Powder as people call it.  I'd bet this 17" will settle out to 12" or so in undisturbed areas by like tomorrow afternoon.  Perfect for skiing though when you already have a great base.

It was a low grade lake effect band. This moisture came from the lakes and with pretty intense lapse rates and orographic lift - it nuked. 

Also, not "champagne" but "champlain"

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, adk said:

It was a low grade lake effect band. This moisture came from the lakes and with pretty intense lapse rates and orographic lift - it nuked. 

Also, not "champagne" but "champlain"

Seems to be a year of it snows where it wants to snow and always underforecasted. Local lingo snobbery 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah pretty rare. That's just perfect SG to have that. You won't get that with -30 at850 LOL.

lol that's for sure.  I honestly think it was probably the largest straight flakes I've ever seen today.  Even aggregates will struggle to get to that size.

Maybe in a 35dbz deform band you can get that but it's almost like the flakes are still growing right to the surface.  I was wondering if there was some sort of static cling that was bunching them together or convective process...but it was literally feathers falling.  Like the stuff when it lightens up you still get 1"/hr from 1sm vis snow.  3"/hr when vis is 1/4sm or lower.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Those aren't aggregates? They look like dry dendritic aggs in the vid based on the "clumpiness". Get any upclose shots of them landing on anything?

No maybe they are and they did look like it based on the feather sized particles falling.  I just didn't know you'd get that with a full well-below freezing layer.  They were extra huge but they did seem to cling together.  I just thought that was mostly from wet snows sticking together.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.05” L.E.

According to the BTV NWS, today’s snow was from its own unique upper-level disturbance (still with Great Lakes moisture), so I’m putting that snow into its own event.  Today’s snow wasn’t quite as ridiculously fluffy as last night’s, but it was still way up there at sub-4% H2O.  I suspect it would ski ridiculously well and be simply sublime when fresh as PF’s pictures suggest.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.0

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 20.5 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You can get dry aggs too. I saw those a few times. It's definitely in ideal SG conditions with the dendrites locking and clinging as they fall.

Yup...I tend to get them in those cold inv trough deals. Light winds, cold temps, and huge aggregates full of like 5-10 dendrites each.

btw Freak...did any of the mesos nail this? I saw the NAM yesterday was hitting the spine with 0.30-0.40". I'm wondering what your ratios were. 0.40" at 30:1 would still give you your foot. I see jspin had 26:1 so the summit could've been pulling slightly better ratios.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

btw Freak...did any of the mesos nail this? I saw the NAM yesterday was hitting the spine with 0.30-0.40". I'm wondering what your ratios were. 0.40" at 30:1 would still give you your foot. I see jspin had 26:1 so the summit could've been pulling slightly better ratios.

YoIMG_20170203_212807.jpg

Below is the north to south listing of 48-hour snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 17”

Smuggler’s Notch: 15”

Stowe: 17”

Bolton Valley: 15”

Mad River Glen: 9”

Sugarbush: 12”

Middlebury: 4”

Suicide Six: 2”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 6”

Bromley: 5”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 5”

Mount Snow: 6”

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Not really. PF and I along with our skier friend have a very long running FB message chat that pretty much discuses every model. We thought based on the mesos that Thursday night and Friday would do something based on the mesos - but not the 8-10" that happened overnight. 4-6" was my call and that I was the believer of the group. Honestly the ratios thursday night were in that 25-1 range which is just absurd. This was real 4% or less blower

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Well the recent trend continued last night with a visit from an overnight shortwave and some LES assistance.  I grabbed a radar image of some of the streamers hitting the area in the wee hours:

04FEB17A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.5

Snow Density: 4.4% H2O

Temperature: 14.9 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

3 hours ago, adk said:

Not really. PF and I along with our skier friend have a very long running FB message chat that pretty much discuses every model. We thought based on the mesos that Thursday night and Friday would do something based on the mesos - but not the 8-10" that happened overnight. 4-6" was my call and that I was the believer of the group. Honestly the ratios thursday night were in that 25-1 range which is just absurd. This was real 4% or less blower

Surprised you guys missed this setup

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Surprised you guys missed this setup

Yeah there really was no smoking gun that was like hey it's going to snow 17".  

There was really no reason for that to necessarily go big than any other set up in the past 2 weeks of orographics.  

I honestly didn't even have time to look at the radar yesterday but the couple times I looked you wouldn't have thought 2"/hr.  

Here's a cell phone shot of yours truly in the storm yesterday.

IMG_4774.JPG

18 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Well the recent trend continued last night with a visit from an overnight shortwave and some LES assistance.  I grabbed a radar image of some of the streamers hitting the area in the wee hours:

04FEB17A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.5

Snow Density: 4.4% H2O

Temperature: 14.9 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

So that's where it came from.  There's another couple inches on the mountain this morning.  

Sun is coming out now so 19" at 3,000ft and 11" at 1,500ft is the cumulative total.  Big elevation dependency and you can tell...go into the woods above mid mountain and it's like holy f'in sh*t.  Down low it's like hey nice pow but it's not the choking pow that the high elevation woods have.

76" at the fabled Stake now.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There was really no reason for that to necessarily go big than any other set up in the past 2 weeks of orographics.  

I honestly didn't even have time to look at the radar yesterday but the couple times I looked you wouldn't have thought 2"/hr.  

IMG_4774.JPG

Looks like 2 yrs ago here. :lol:.  Definitely salivating look there.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

IMG_4774.JPG

Incredible, perfect combo of lift and air temps , magical stuff. Seems you get one of these a year where its just unloads out of no where. I would say though 4 K nam was indicating 2 days prior for .4 qpf, just the ratios were off the hook, wish Mansfield had a Bufkit output because even MPV had  output ratios like this.

SNOW   24:1| 0.1|  24:1

Archived