Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoolMike said:

Anyone have a good summary of what the Euro shows for next week in the MWV / Ski Areas?

I'm heading up there for a long weekend next weekend and starting to get stoked.  GFS looks OK to me - ends up on the warm side of the low pressure but not before a decent snowfall.  Weenie snow maps seem out of whack with the depicted solution - but that's why they are weenie maps.

Euro was mostly snow up in that area. Does eventually warm aloft but probably never above freezing at the surface...maybe briefly when it mixes out at fropa. 

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Nuking at Smuggs too! What a day! Best I have ever skied here! Probably 10" new at the Madonna Summit

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

This is getting out of hand.

Untitled.jpg

Is this one of those sneaky 12"+ events for the summits? I have been following closely to see if this was forecasted?

44 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Is this one of those sneaky 12"+ events for the summits? I have been following closely to see if this was forecated?

We've hit warning criteria in the parking lots...easy 8" at the base.  Going to check the stake again, I'd bet 14" or so at 3,000ft.

Like eyewall said just crushing... 2"/hr right now.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wish we lived there.

#notmansnow

This is the classic "foo foo fluff"....but it pounded.  Feels like being in a low-grade lake effect band with consistent 1-2"/hr through 1-2pm. 

After all the denser snow we saw last week from upslope, this was the real deal Champlain Powder as people call it.  I'd bet this 17" will settle out to 12" or so in undisturbed areas by like tomorrow afternoon.  Perfect for skiing though when you already have a great base.

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

#notmansnow

This is the classic "foo foo fluff"....but it pounded.  Feels like being in a low-grade lake effect band with consistent 1-2"/hr through 1-2pm. 

After all the denser snow we saw last week from upslope, this was the real deal Champlain Powder as people call it.  I'd bet this 17" will settle out to 12" or so in undisturbed areas by like tomorrow afternoon.  Perfect for skiing though when you already have a great base.

Yeah looks great. That's good stuff right there.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah looks great. That's good stuff right there.

Some of the biggest dendrites I've ever seen.

Not aggregates but just cold massive snow growth at like 15 degrees.

It has to be so hard to get flakes this size without being aggregates at like 32F.

This was during one of the 3"/hr bursts.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It has to be so hard to get flakes this size without being aggregates at like 32F.

It's like someone tore up a bunch of toilet paper and is just dropping it from the skies.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Whoa..great little vid.  Mreaves nailed that description :lol:

Archived