Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

I would say more west / Northwest than SW, I have seen them crushed with a SW flow lake effect event this wasn't that 

This was definitely a SW flow event on the whole.  We had like 4 days of SW/WSW winds on Mansfield transporting moisture....which is why Lake Placid to Jay Peak did so well.  Follow the trajectories.

5 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

I'm just above 2,200' pretty close to the crest of the mountains, which has individual peaks that top out a little above 3,000' a couple miles to the west and northeast of my location. 

Wow, that's epic elevation. I would love to have a place up there up that high. You must do really well in early and late season events. 

Makes total sense why your pack is so solid. 

Event totals: 4.7” Snow/0.38” L.E.

There was 0.7” of very dry snow from today’s snowfall.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 14.2 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Check out page 36 in this thread regarding froude numbers. https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49347-nne-winter-thread/?page=36

I'd assume the BTV values for the Greens is somewhat similar to your area. I think they're running a little under 1.0 today which puts the best upslope right on the upwind side of the crest.

Awesome, thanks! Some great information on the BTV site. 

13 hours ago, eyewall said:

Getting sand grain sized flakes in Winooski. Looks like a Lake Champlain plume. They are small but it is reducing vis.

We had some of those tiny arctic-style flakes coming down last night for a while as well.  There’s a hearty coating on the measurement boards this morning, but with the way those flakes have such little loft it was sub-0.1” so there’s only a trace of additional snow to report at our site.

55 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We had some of those tiny arctic-style flakes coming down last night for a while as well.  There’s a hearty coating on the measurement boards this morning, but with the way those flakes have such little loft it was sub-0.1” so there’s only a trace of additional snow to report at our site.

We did too.  The cars were coated this morning but that was about it.  On the temp side of things, this was the coldest morning in quite a while.  Saw -1° on the car thermo on the way to work.  A shock to the system after all the warmth we have had. 

BTV posted on Facebook that Feb 2, 2015 was the last calendar day with a snowfall of 6" or more.  Down here in Orwell, the last of such snowfalls was December 11, 2014 (13.7 inches).  Since that day, the area has received a total of 64.4 inches of snow.  This breaks down as follows:

# of events 6 inches or more: 0
5 to 5.9 inches: 1
4 to 4.9 inches: 2
3 to 3.9 inches: 3
2 to 2.9inches: 9
1 to 1.9 inches: 13
0 to 0.9 inches: 7

Days with trace snow were not included. 

It didn't snow the entire month of March 2015 and it snowed only 0.2 inches in March 2016.

As we can't seem to shake the pattern of the last two years, I believe that March 2017 will be quite similar.  With the Feb 2015 and Feb 2016 snow totals of 11.6 and 6.0 inches, respectively, as guides, I expect February to produce about 10 inches of snow.  This would give the area a total of 33 inches of snow for the winter.  As this area averages some 60 inches of snow per year, we're soon to be missing two full seasons worth of snow.

1 minute ago, ApacheTrout said:

BTV posted on Facebook that Feb 2, 2015 was the last calendar day with a snowfall of 6" or more.  Down here in Orwell, the last of such snowfalls was December 11, 2014 (13.7 inches).  Since that day, the area has received a total of 64.4 inches of snow.  This breaks down as follows:

It didn't snow the entire month of March 2015 and it snowed only 0.2 inches in March 2016.

As we can't seem to shake the pattern of the last two years, I believe that March 2017 will be quite similar.  With the Feb 2015 and Feb 2016 snow totals of 11.6 and 6.0 inches, respectively, as guides, I expect February to produce about 10 inches of snow.  This would give the area a total of 33 inches of snow for the winter.  As this area averages some 60 inches of snow per year, we're soon to be missing two full seasons worth of snow.

Yeah it isn't looking good. What a horrific stretch.

1 hour ago, ApacheTrout said:

That is pretty crazy snow drought, just 1 event over 5" in 2+ years.

I know Eyewall always talks about the warning snow drought in BTV, I as well am coming up on almost 2 years since Warning snow verified. I don't know the exact date, but it was one of the Feb 2015 events. I did have 3 separate 12"+ events in 2014-15 which seems like a lifetime ago...ha.

2 minutes ago, alex said:

1/3" last night

That is about what we had here from the weenie band. It came down pretty good for a bit but the flake size was too small for efficient accumulation. It was enough to make the evening commute a bit slick.

What a freakin day.  Total stunner.

I haven't seen the mountain this caked and absolutely glowing in the sunshine.  Pics later should be great.

Out for a walk with the dog now along the Rec Path with 5-8" of snowcover and glowing white mountains in all directions around Stowe, no wind, normal winter temps, listening to the mountain stream running along...top 10 day out there.

So nice to see the sun after a week of daily snows.  Looks like a little duff returns tomorrow.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

12z GFS says congrats Wisconsin on next week's system. So now we are at least through mid Feb with nothing. 

Went to Burlington yesterday...feels like a different state than just the next county.  It was like grass showing by the time you got to Bolton.  

I do get the frustration as I can't imagine looking at that all winter long...just the overall feel is so much different once you get back into solid snow in Waterbury.  Though looking back East the Spine was like glowing in the afternoon sun.

What a freakin day.  Total stunner.

I haven't seen the mountain this caked and absolutely glowing in the sunshine.  Pics later should be great.

Out for a walk with the dog now along the Rec Path with 5-8" of snowcover and glowing white mountains in all directions around Stowe, no wind, normal winter temps, listening to the mountain stream running along...top 10 day out there.

So nice to see the sun after a week of daily snows.  Looks like a little duff returns tomorrow.

I wish I was able to get out there today for sure!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived