Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Magical place. For once we actually had advisory level snow in the forecast up there, and we still only predicted about half his total.

It's painful having to sit on the sidelines and let short term handle it.

Would be cool to get more reports up there. You'd think the snowmobile clubs would report to you guys more often because they are running groomers several nights a week and would have an interest in telling people how much snow they get. 

I read that the swift diamond riders clubhouse at Diamond Pond got 15-16" over the past 36-48 hours

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wx2fish said:

unofficial report came across it on FB but seemed reasonable given Pittsburgs report

He should pop on to the Hardcore Sledder site to see if he could drum up some reporting interest. There are several guys in the VT section who know the weather in the NEK pretty well so I imagine the NH subforum has a few too. Dryslot is a met god in the ME subforum. 

1 hour ago, wx2fish said:

Would be cool to get more reports up there. You'd think the snowmobile clubs would report to you guys more often because they are running groomers several nights a week and would have an interest in telling people how much snow they get. 

I read that the swift diamond riders clubhouse at Diamond Pond got 15-16" over the past 36-48 hours

the pittsburg club "reports" snowfall on their facebook page. but that is a huge area, and i would be the snowfall amounts vary greatly from one end of town to the other. for example, i know that the area south of and around Youngs has way less snow OTG than the areas to the north. I bet part of the problem is that the club is volunteer, and finding people to consistently report would be a challenge.

18 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

If anything changed it's on the airport's end. We have been monitoring closely since the anomaly showed up this summer (and especially since it was CON's warmest year on record). It's weird that snow cover didn't seem to change anything, so we were leaning towards a microclimate change. But it's really hard to prove one way or another. We just know the equipment is working and calibrated.

i have a spy at CON. he told me that aside from removing mulch a few months ago, and painting the equipment, nothing has changed. however, he did say that "the weather service or contractors" have been there recently, but he didn't know what they were doing.

so, you might be right about the microclimate change, but it seems real strange that last year CON seemed to be running 2-3F higher than the surrounding area, and that it now seems to be a lot more in range. 

As expected its been an active couple of days in the mountains.

It has also been exactly what was needed after a couple days of freezing rain, sleet, and omnipresent freezing drizzle/mist from thick low level stratus.  This season has been the season of getting lucky...every time the conditions take a turn for the worse (like the freezing rain), Mother Nature recovers it quickly.  I feel like the snowfall this year doesn't tell the whole story, just the consistent good conditions as any negative weather is followed quickly by a resurfacing snowfall.

Since Thursday afternoon the Mansfield COOP has seen:

Total Liquid: 1.29"

Total Snowfall: 10.5"

Increase in Snow Depth: 12" (52" to 64")

My 3,000ft Board Snowfall: 14" 

Shows the differences in snowfall from the collection method of an 8-inch diameter elevated precip can/bucket on the ridgeline vs. a sheltered surface board.  The snow depth increased more than the snowfall.  Given the densities I saw, this was quite the shot of snow for the mountain in both a resurfacing effort and beefing up the snowpack.  If I used my 14" and the COOP liquid, that gives a ratio of 10.9 to 1.

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Congrats to 3k. Ski groomers rejoice.

Today was a big day...a bigger day of the season, lots of people were stoked on the snow.  It's funny how people have becomed accustomed to the mountain getting a lot of snow when it doesn't snow elsewhere.  They are learning.  All the thousands of people certainly enjoyed the snow.  

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today was a big day...a bigger day of the season, lots of people were stoked on the snow.  It's funny how people have becomed accustomed to the mountain getting a lot of snow when it doesn't snow elsewhere.  They are learning.  All the thousands of people certainly enjoyed the snow.  

Well it's a mtn in VT at 4k. It's supposed to snow. Definitely a stark difference from picnic table to where people live though. 

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest event.  Totals top out near two feet in the north at Jay Peak, but really drop off south of Sugarbush:

Jay Peak: 22”

Burke: 11”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 14”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 11”

Sugarbush: 11”

Middlebury: 2”

Suicide Six: 2”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

7 hours ago, wx2fish said:

Hmm, that's not a terrible idea. As long as they weren't "marketing" the snow it could work.

We used to have Coops at Diamond Pond (a real weenie spot), Errol, Dixville Notch, and Bethlehem. But we had to close them because the budget forced us to reallocate our equipment. I mean CoCoRaHS would be great, but even just a spotter ID and reports when it snows would be worlds more than we currently get.

I can guarantee you my office is completely unaware that we got over a foot of snow up there in the last 24+ hours.

32 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest event.  Totals top out near two feet in the north at Jay Peak, but really drop off south of Sugarbush:

Jay Peak: 22”

Burke: 11”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 14”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 11”

Sugarbush: 11”

Middlebury: 2”

Suicide Six: 2”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

I can attest to today for Jay. Honestly, they should do a "little" better with the truth. Not 22" imo.. Probably closer to Stowe's total but with a touch more (15-16"?).

good stuff either way. 

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Hmm, that's not a terrible idea. As long as they weren't "marketing" the snow it could work.

We used to have Coops at Diamond Pond (a real weenie spot), Errol, Dixville Notch, and Bethlehem. But we had to close them because the budget forced us to reallocate our equipment. I mean CoCoRaHS would be great, but even just a spotter ID and reports when it snows would be worlds more than we currently get.

I can guarantee you my office is completely unaware that we got over a foot of snow up there in the last 24+ hours.

I think Diamond Pond at something like 2,200' might have been the 3rd highest co-op site in New England, though far short of MWN and Mansfield.  3rd highest snowfall, too - they averaged something like 230" during their short (13 years?) period of record.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I think Diamond Pond at something like 2,200' might have been the 3rd highest co-op site in New England, though far short of MWN and Mansfield.  3rd highest snowfall, too - they averaged something like 230" during their short (13 years?) period of record.

The only other higher Coop I can think of is Walden, VT...I think that's in the similar 2,200-2,400ft range.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

lol they don't look like crap per se.  I saw your post and thought we were in for a torch.  Looks pretty cold overall.  

Hahah well yes we will have the cold but there are no big systems being hinted at. I supposed the caveat is a possible signal for some around the 6th, 7th but that could easily be south.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

lol they don't look like crap per se.  I saw your post and thought we were in for a torch.  Looks pretty cold overall.  Just boring.

Honestly, I'm loving this winter in Burlington. It is like living in Philly. Low 30s for highs, 20s for lows. Perfect. Keep the snow away from BTV. Just upslope. Anytime I can go ski pow all morning then take the trash out without freezing I'm happy. 

That said, it does look cold and boring. And by cold I mean "normal"

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Really nice snow shower in town right now.  Looks like JSpin should be getting lit up too.  Dusting things up again.

Yeah, we actually drove into it as we were heading home from Stowe.  We picked up an additional 0.8” here – I’ll have my update in just a bit.

Archived