• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Not a regular poster obviously, but I've been a lurker since the  90's on ne.weather, then the easternuswx board, and now Americanwx.  

Story time on variability

So much variability out there.  Got free tickets to go see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt in Rutland.  Drive down was fine until I got to where 107 becomes 100 in Pittsfield.  The snow started to pick up; falling, depth, and on the road it was rather dramatic sort of like Harlow Hill in Stowe.  A couple of inches un-plowed, even after seeing several plows along the way, indicated there had been a nice squall recently.  No big deal though and clear roads and no snow once I passed Mendon.  

Good show, funny banter, had never been to the Paramount, nice place.

Coming home no snow around Killington anymore but started to pick up as i got near Bethel.  Hopped on the interstate and WHAMMO.  As expected that stretch from Exit 3 to exit 7 did not disappoint.  In fact it was so bad I had to get off at exit 4 knowing that next stretch would get worse before it got better since the highway goes from 1200-1700' over 10 miles.  Several inches of unplowed highway with me breaking the trail.  No signs of life with visibility in the hundreds of feet, SN+ and 20-30mph gusts, my eyes were tired and I couldn't take it.  I figured I'd take the low road and got off at exit 4 to rt 12.  That was a great decision as it was 4 inches of totally un-plowed road for 15-20 miles on Rt 12,  but because there was no wind here and I could see and it was an absolutely stunning winter wonderland!  I got back on the highway at exit 5 where again it was snowing hard and windy but the right lane was passable and visibly traveled.  By the time I got to exit 7 the road was just wet with smooth sailing back to Waterbury.  

TLDR;

a great deal of variability with temps as low as 21 as high as 30 and wet roads vs calm 4 inches unplowed, vs near blizzard conditions. Snow depth differences are unreal where every few miles shows massive changes, seemingly more so than most of the past 20 years that I've traveled to every nook and cranny of the state delivering my kid to hockey games.  Took  1.75 hours to get to Rutland (traffic near Killington) but 2.5 hours to get home.  Only an inch in the village of Waterbury, curious to hear what Jspin saw.  

postscript

I'd love to know who thought the interstate's best route should go up to 1700ft!  I would also love to see that sign come back that told you you were at the highest point.  I think it used to say 1731'.   Did a cursory look and found a Rutland Herald article saying it's been gone since 2000 and was removed because it didn't met federal guidelines for signage and when they went to replace it the feds would not cover the cost because it wasn't pertinent information and the state didn't want to spend the 4 grand.

Final Thoughts

I agree with PF's attitude.   After surviving last winter, this winter is fine by me.  Not the best January but I am finding snow where snow should be more often than not.  I feel bad for eyewall moving here when he did and having to wait for what Vermont can truly deliver, your time will come.   After what I saw today, there should be plenty of places for you to take your snow machine Mreaves.   Go to Brookfield or Williamstown after what I saw tonight.  I dont know about VAST trails as I'm not a snowmobiler but man the snow looked great there and the four wheeler I ran into on un-plowed rt 12 was having fun.  I'm not sure about the research Judah Cohen is doing and I think it needs work, but I do think there might be something to a 2009-2010 analog (I'm wishcasting) with a SSW and weak PV event, an Eastern us trough and great few weeks in FEB.  Will the trough stay or go.  We shall see.  Choochoo the hype train is passing through.  (actually i live right next to the tracks in Waterbury and a real train just came through)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

We could just shrink that radar down and use that. :cry: 

I got out my tripod and was preparing for my first night squall time lapse attempt.  Seems like soul-deadening disappointment always follows whenever I get out my camera gear.

Also, if we're going to pig pile. Another near miss.

C2_R-ojXAAIdS2N.jpg

1 minute ago, wx2fish said:

John in Pittsburg reported 10.5" on top of 3.3" yesterday and still snowing pretty good. Must some pretty hefty totals in the greens in he's pulling those kind of numbers

They need it, it's reciprocal weekend and there will be even more sleds than normal up there as half of Vermont will be there to ride for free. 

5 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

John in Pittsburg reported 10.5" on top of 3.3" yesterday and still snowing pretty good. Must some pretty hefty totals in the greens in he's pulling those kind of numbers

Magical place. For once we actually had advisory level snow in the forecast up there, and we still only predicted about half his total.

It's painful having to sit on the sidelines and let short term handle it.

4 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

Not a regular poster obviously, but I've been a lurker since the  90's on ne.weather, then the easternuswx board, and now Americanwx.  

Story time on variability

So much variability out there.  Got free tickets to go see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt in Rutland.  Drive down was fine until I got to where 107 becomes 100 in Pittsfield.  The snow started to pick up; falling, depth, and on the road it was rather dramatic sort of like Harlow Hill in Stowe.  A couple of inches un-plowed, even after seeing several plows along the way, indicated there had been a nice squall recently.  No big deal though and clear roads and no snow once I passed Mendon.  

Good show, funny banter, had never been to the Paramount, nice place.

Coming home no snow around Killington anymore but started to pick up as i got near Bethel.  Hopped on the interstate and WHAMMO.  As expected that stretch from Exit 3 to exit 7 did not disappoint.  In fact it was so bad I had to get off at exit 4 knowing that next stretch would get worse before it got better since the highway goes from 1200-1700' over 10 miles.  Several inches of unplowed highway with me breaking the trail.  No signs of life with visibility in the hundreds of feet, SN+ and 20-30mph gusts, my eyes were tired and I couldn't take it.  I figured I'd take the low road and got off at exit 4 to rt 12.  That was a great decision as it was 4 inches of totally un-plowed road for 15-20 miles on Rt 12,  but because there was no wind here and I could see and it was an absolutely stunning winter wonderland!  I got back on the highway at exit 5 where again it was snowing hard and windy but the right lane was passable and visibly traveled.  By the time I got to exit 7 the road was just wet with smooth sailing back to Waterbury.  

TLDR;

a great deal of variability with temps as low as 21 as high as 30 and wet roads vs calm 4 inches unplowed, vs near blizzard conditions. Snow depth differences are unreal where every few miles shows massive changes, seemingly more so than most of the past 20 years that I've traveled to every nook and cranny of the state delivering my kid to hockey games.  Took  1.75 hours to get to Rutland (traffic near Killington) but 2.5 hours to get home.  Only an inch in the village of Waterbury, curious to hear what Jspin saw.  

postscript

I'd love to know who thought the interstate's best route should go up to 1700ft!  I would also love to see that sign come back that told you you were at the highest point.  I think it used to say 1731'.   Did a cursory look and found a Rutland Herald article saying it's been gone since 2000 and was removed because it didn't met federal guidelines for signage and when they went to replace it the feds would not cover the cost because it wasn't pertinent information and the state didn't want to spend the 4 grand.

Final Thoughts

I agree with PF's attitude.   After surviving last winter, this winter is fine by me.  Not the best January but I am finding snow where snow should be more often than not.  I feel bad for eyewall moving here when he did and having to wait for what Vermont can truly deliver, your time will come.   After what I saw today, there should be plenty of places for you to take your snow machine Mreaves.   Go to Brookfield or Williamstown after what I saw tonight.  I dont know about VAST trails as I'm not a snowmobiler but man the snow looked great there and the four wheeler I ran into on un-plowed rt 12 was having fun.  I'm not sure about the research Judah Cohen is doing and I think it needs work, but I do think there might be something to a 2009-2010 analog (I'm wishcasting) with a SSW and weak PV event, an Eastern us trough and great few weeks in FEB.  Will the trough stay or go.  We shall see.  Choochoo the hype train is passing through.  (actually i live right next to the tracks in Waterbury and a real train just came through)

That was a good read. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Which means 12".

No I bet they got that for a 48 hour total.  I'm at 14" for a 48 hour total at the mountain.  Jay was getting smoked based on radar last night before it got here.

Westfield spotter right on the east side near Jay had 11" on CoCoRAHS with 15" for 2-days.  22" at the mountain would fit.

NEK got smoked last night.  A few warning amounts coming in.  The Lyndon State interns that just showed up at Stowe said they had at least 5" last night in Lyndon.

snow.jpg

Congrads to everyone north of me.    I (barely) got in on the action last night.  Around 1130pm got clipped with the SW tail of a squall line.  Got a quick 1/2".   South of me by about 3 miles got nothing.  Guess the Plymouth to Meredith NH area was about as far south as they got in the Lakes Region of NH.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Eyewall what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking? Is your work closer to Burlington?

I work for a private company called Early Alert as a met and we work remotely from home. I need reliable internet etc. Additionally my parents are nearby and my mom has had health issues. Either way the models show another 10 days of sh*te here. 

16 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I work for a private company called Early Alert as a met and we work remotely from home. I need reliable internet etc. Additionally my parents are nearby and my mom has had health issues. Either way the models show another 10 days of sh*te here. 

Ahh ok. Understandable. Well I went back and realize I also went two years without a warning from early Feb 2011 unto Nemo in 2013. It sucked. Feel your pain. 

Ahh ok. Understandable. Well I went back and realize I also went two years without a warning from early Feb 2011 unto Nemo in 2013. It sucked. Feel your pain. 

Yeah it sucks and hopefully it doesn't go much beyond Feb 8th which is the 2 year mark with a leap day.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived