Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

5 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yes we have seen sand grain type flakes off and on throughout today. There is definitely a little Champlain enhancement ongoing. Not sure if anyone managed a dusting from it or not. 

dusted here.  the LL moisture has a particular effect on the sunlight- the cloudds have a more yellow/brownish hue to them (imho).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alex said:

That's an incredible shot of MWN. Seems so close!

Thanks guys.  It did look really close.  It's not even that much zoom as the valley in the foreground is the Stowe/Morrisville town line and RT 100 corridor.  

It looks like it's just two ridges over or something haha.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks guys.  It did look really close.  It's not even that much zoom as the valley in the foreground is the Stowe/Morrisville town line and RT 100 corridor.  

It looks like it's just two ridges over or something haha.

You need to convince those LE streamers that it's not too far for them ;)

Snowing but the radar looks completely clear. 

Driving down to Boston, some incredibly localized light snow going on. We've been snowing for a few hours - up to 1/4" now, not much but roads are fully covered. Extremely small flakes but thick. Drove just 2 miles West and there is no new snow and no precipitation. Another mile south towards Cannon and it's not even cloudy. 

What's causing this precip? It's definitely not squalls. Some type of upslope? Even that is usually  not so localized. 

5 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

Many places in the Champlain Valley and southern Vermont need a 12-24 inch snowpack heading into March to help the water table recover from last year's moderate drought.  Rain events on frozen soils look good in the annual water year report, but in reality they mask water deficits, as the rain can't get into the ground.  If we enter the growing season with only 40 inches of snow (which would be double last year's in the CPV), we'll be setting the stage for another summer of low streamflow and lake levels.  It's way too early to be a drought monger, but this winter's pattern isn't a whole lot different than 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.

+1... I remember voicing my concern near the end of last winter about the lack of snowpack and Lake Champlain's water level going forward throughout the recreation season. Last year did seem to have a consistent low lake level. 

When I was out on Lake Champlain this past boating season, as well as when I was observing my own shoreline, I remember thinking to myself that "if this keeps up, I wonder if we have a lake level that begins with 8 next year."

I hope that the watershed upstream will be juiced enough to mitigate some our drought at this point. While it isn't unlike the CPV to be bare and no big snowfalls on the horizon at this point in meteorological winters' game- I pray that this is not a long term trend (sustained drought) that transitions from year to year. I often think now that, if it happens in California, why couldn't it happen here?"

3 minutes ago, grambo said:

I hope that the watershed upstream will be juiced enough to mitigate some our drought at this point. While it isn't unlike the CPV to be bare and no big snowfalls on the horizon at this point in meteorological winters' game- I pray that this is not a long term trend (sustained drought) that transitions from year to year. I often think now that, if it happens in California, why couldn't it happen here?"

the west/southwest has been drying out since 1980 at a fair clip. overall, the east/northeast has been getting slightly wetter (though not nearly as fast as the west has been getting drying out).  not that things don't change, but that's been the trend.  

Snowing lightly with a couple tenths dusting down.

Looks like some light moisture getting wrung out over the mountains.

Jan_8_zpsgzj5naaf.gif

Mountain probably pulls an inch or so out of this....was already a dusting at 5pm when I left (see car photo) and its been snowing lightly for several hours up there.

IMG_4372.JPG

2 hours ago, grambo said:

I hope that the watershed upstream will be juiced enough to mitigate some our drought at this point. While it isn't unlike the CPV to be bare and no big snowfalls on the horizon at this point in meteorological winters' game-

I can tell you that when I did my snow survey last week for the NWS that the snowpack is certainly juiced on Mansfield.

It was actually probably the most impressive snowpack I've seen in the 4-5 years I've been doing these measurements for this time of year.  I mean I can take my skis off and walk around on top of the roughly 4 foot snowpack at 3,000ft...its solid.

High Road Plot at 3,014ft.  Did 5 cores and photographed the ones closest to the mean.

Average Depth: 47"

Average SWE: 14"

15895465_10102805257473400_6109752229346

15871593_10102805257318710_3942099333175

15781681_10102805257433480_4820783566846

Barnes Camp at 1,550ft

Average Snow Depth: 18"

Average SWE: 6"

15747326_10102805257822700_7775089032033

15871652_10102805257927490_1193935180695

I will say I was surprised to see that the Mansfield COOP is currently running about 18" below normal snowfall-to-date. 

Actual is 79.4" and normal is 97.1". 

I don't agree with this, as my data would suggest a little bit above normal for the ski resort numbers, as we are halfway to our 20-year seasonal average on January 8th.  The snow depth would also argue for above normal as we are running about 3-weeks ahead of normal

gendateplot.php3.png

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.04” L.E.

I didn’t know that it was snowing, but my wife saw it on her phone so I took a look and it was coming down at a steady clip.  It looks like it’s due to the upper level trough in the area.  I made observations at 8 PM and the data are below:

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.5

Snow Density: 5.7% H2O

Temperature: 10.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Awesome day today to be out on the trails, Rode 80 miles or so

Ride 01-08-17.JPG

Ride2 01-08-17.JPG

Nice. My son and I poked around here a bit but I was afraid of melting the sliders since our trails are pretty much glacial with little loose snow. I hope this week doesn't put us back at zero. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I can tell you that when I did my snow survey last week for the NWS that the snowpack is certainly juiced on Mansfield.

It was actually probably the most impressive snowpack I've seen in the 4-5 years I've been doing these measurements for this time of year.  I mean I can take my skis off and walk around on top of the roughly 4 foot snowpack at 3,000ft...its solid.

High Road Plot at 3,014ft.  Did 5 cores and photographed the ones closest to the mean.

15895465_10102805257473400_6109752229346

15871593_10102805257318710_3942099333175

15781681_10102805257433480_4820783566846

Barnes Camp at 1,550ft

15747326_10102805257822700_7775089032033

15871652_10102805257927490_1193935180695

That is very impressive . 12" depth .74 w/e here

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.06” L.E.

The sky has cleared out, so the totals above represent the final values for the effects of the upper level trough that moved through.  This morning’s data are below:

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: -1.8F F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

The next system expected to affect the area has been named Winter Storm Iras.  The forecasts suggest the potential for a few inches of snow starting tomorrow afternoon followed by mixed precipitation.

interesting little observation this morning- there was a light band of lake effect dust coming off Champlain. Seems to coincide with sunrise- using google earth, it appears the sun hit the lake right after 7:25AM coming over Camel's hump, and resulted in a little flare up over the eastern shore of the lake. Wonder if the cold air + solar radiation drove this brief pulse- it appears very localized right over land.

MondayMorningGif.gif

So being a bit crazy, been spending some time messing around with some code on the side these days- starting to get together a program that downloads individual BTV composite radar images and animates them into a loop for the overnight after missing out on some of these sleeper events- working on the animation stuff now, have the database of images setup. figured it would be nice to wake up at 6AM and see what happened instead of waiting for reports from resorts. fun project.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Barnes Camp at 1,550ft

That's some awesome SWE for this early in the season, 30% water at both 3,014 and 1,550.  Last week's sleet/ZR mess provided a hard cap to my 22" pack, but my estimated SWE (no core taken, based in events' LE) is closer to 5", so perhaps 23% water.

-9.7°F this am, Pretty chilly

Probably colder than at my frost pocket, which was about -5 with a chilly breeze holding the temp from plummeting.  Might've been colder during the wee hours if we'd had some calm.

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

That is very impressive . 12" depth .74 w/e here

Nice Ginxy... more snow than I've got in my yard but less water, lol.

I saw in one of the threads you posted your NOHRSC graphs for your CoCoRAHS station and forgot in my original post that you can see some of the stuff from my plots on that page as well.

High Road: https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=HRDV1&region=us

Barnes Camp: https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=BRNV1&region=us

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

Fwiw-the sugarbush snow cam was dug out and raised the platform over the weekend.

I noticed that too... did they just dig it out or actually raise it up?

It should definitely help avoid the snow that kept crawling up the sides of the hole and was getting measured by the stake in the back. 

I still think its going to be hard to sustain accurate snowfall info up there but the set-up right now looks 100 times better than it had all of December and November.  As long as they keep cleaning it out it should be much closer to reality.

55 minutes ago, ono said:

interesting little observation this morning- there was a light band of lake effect dust coming off Champlain. Seems to coincide with sunrise- using google earth, it appears the sun hit the lake right after 7:25AM coming over Camel's hump, and resulted in a little flare up over the eastern shore of the lake. Wonder if the cold air + solar radiation drove this brief pulse- it appears very localized right over land.

MondayMorningGif.gif

So being a bit crazy, been spending some time messing around with some code on the side these days- starting to get together a program that downloads individual BTV composite radar images and animates them into a loop for the overnight after missing out on some of these sleeper events- working on the animation stuff now, have the database of images setup. figured it would be nice to wake up at 6AM and see what happened instead of waiting for reports from resorts. fun project.

Yes indeed that was the coating of "lake dust" we received this morning in Winooski.

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Awesome. Was riding yesterday up around Fryeburg/Stoneham area. Good stuff.

67b1dd56e08cb6503bfad5d438e968f8.jpg

Awesome John, I was trying to pic my way to the Jay/Farmington area, But we ran into a washout where they had closed the trail on our way to Hebron

Archived