Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, adk said:

Very localized doesn't even do this justice. There was mabye 1" below 1500 feet south of the Tollhouse. Crazy local. 

Its insane.  Just absolutely nuts. 

A healthy 6" on the snowboard at 3,000ft and above that skied like even more.  Face shots all over the place.  Chin Clip skied like 10".

11" on the board in the last two days.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

zzzzzzzzzzz.......

Love these sleeper events. 

Ended up with the same amount of snow at the mountain in the past 48 hours as the huge week-long 75-page tracked Winter Storm Warning we are all going to die storm a week ago.

Some cell phone shots.  Here's the additional 6" last night.

15894345_10102807176487680_1855798196724

15822667_10102807176522610_6063206140816

15871711_10102807176492670_5084084467618

But in all seriousness, PF mentioned in the storm thread why cant we get a nice coastal with a large circulation to track over CC. Of course that last storm where Maine got crushed tracked close but it was a tight little wound up sucker.

What was the last storm with that track with a deform band back to VT/ENY? Hasnt been one in my 3 winters here, is it 5+ years?

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

But in all seriousness, PF mentioned in the storm thread why cant we get a nice coastal with a large circulation to track over CC. Of course that last storm where Maine got crushed tracked close but it was a tight little wound up sucker.

What was the last storm with that track with a deform band back to VT/ENY? Hasnt been one in my 3 winters here, is it 5+ years?

That storm coming tomorrow for some is a huge circulation.  If that storm came with the same track as last week's low, we'd probably miss the best banding to our west.  That'd be a congrat's SLK. 

We just haven't had much luck in getting either the right track and circulation size over the past 5 years or so.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Love these sleeper events. 

Ended up with the same amount of snow at the mountain in the past 48 hours as the huge week-long 75-page tracked Winter Storm Warning we are all going to die storm a week ago.

Some cell phone shots.  Here's the additional 6" last night.

15894345_10102807176487680_1855798196724

15822667_10102807176522610_6063206140816

15871711_10102807176492670_5084084467618

Been a pretty decent run for the elevation spots up in NVT, not epic, but like you said just squeezing the max out of these "surprise" events. We dont get surprise events down here really, not even at the resorts.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Been a pretty decent run for the elevation spots up in NVT, not epic, but like you said just squeezing the max out of these "surprise" events. We dont get surprise events down here really, not even at the resorts.

Yeah fun stretch but just making it work.  After last winter it really feels like an awesome season.  I mean, we are getting real powder days on a weekly basis.  That's all you can ask for as a skier. 

Its not doing much for the valleys, but I'm biased as the least snowiest thing I see all day is my backyard which has been snow covered since November.  I spend the majority of the daylight hours each week at a place that has 18-53" of natural snow on the ground, so relative to normal or not, it at least has a very wintery appeal.  But I fully acknowledge that I'm living in a narrow little world here.

And you do get surprise events... I know you get those surprise 3-4" of fluff overnight in the right set-up when you aren't expecting it.  There are occasionally those lake effect streamers that light up the southern Greens too.  Maybe you don't get as much orographic lift or the frequency of these surprises, but they do happen down there.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah fun stretch but just making it work.  After last winter it really feels like an awesome season.  I mean, we are getting real powder days on a weekly basis.  That's all you can ask for as a skier. 

Its not doing much for the valleys, but I'm biased as the least snowiest thing I see all day is my backyard which has been snow covered since November.  I spend the majority of the daylight hours each week at a place that has 18-53" of natural snow on the ground, so relative to normal or not, it at least has a very wintery appeal.  But I fully acknowledge that I'm living in a narrow little world here.

And you do get surprise events... I know you get those surprise 3-4" of fluff overnight in the right set-up when you aren't expecting it.  There are occasionally those lake effect streamers that light up the southern Greens too.  Maybe you don't get as much orographic lift or the frequency of these surprises, but they do happen down there.

Your right, actually had 2 separate surprise 4-5" night upslope events just last year and that surprise 3" lake streamer. So i take back that comment...lol

But is FEB 07 the last big coastal? thats 10 years. there was one down in here in DEC 10 that dropped 20-24, but dont think that hit NVT.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That storm coming tomorrow for some is a huge circulation.  If that storm came with the same track as last week's low, we'd probably miss the best banding to our west.  That'd be a congrat's SLK. 

We just haven't had much luck in getting either the right track and circulation size over the past 5 years or so.

It is another SNE/ENE winter as far as synoptic events. Could it be another disaster of a year in Burlington? It can't be ruled out.

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.17” L.E.

There’s been some additional snow this evening with the continuation of the small impulses and LES that we’ve had the past couple of days.

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 16.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

6 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Snowing here right now with one weenie spot on the radar. Not sure if it is Champlain influenced. Either way we will take it since we can buy a decent hit here lol.

Saw your post in the other thread--hialrious that someone that lives in NVT would need to chase a storm in Cape Cod USA, cant make this stuff up..lol

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

Saw your post in the other thread--hialrious that someone that lives in NVT would need to chase a storm in Cape Cod USA, cant make this stuff up..lol

Yeah I was entertaining the idea. Today is day 698 in BTV since the last warning event. Not sure we will see one this winter either lol. 

18 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah I was entertaining the idea. Today is day 698 in BTV since the last warning event. Not sure we will see one this winter either lol. 

No way to make that call on January 7th, lol.

I know it seems bleak but this stuff pops up quickly sometimes.  Looks like there are chances after the thaw.

For now we enjoy another day of this.  13" now for a 3,000ft total over the past 2-3 days.  Top of the Gondola is probably even 1-3" higher than that.

Photo from about 3,300ft.

Small.jpg

That looks amazing

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

No way to make that call on January 7th, lol.

I know it seems bleak but this stuff pops up quickly sometimes.  Looks like there are chances after the thaw.

Yeah that is true. I am hoping February is the month.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived