Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Scratch that. Frz RN.

Yeah didn't take long here to go to that either.

I'm worried at the ski resort a bit...temps are 21F at the top and 25F at the base and the east side cold pocket on Mansfield doesn't dislodge easily as its protected by the ridge.  Models showing a half inch of QPF tonight.  Could get interesting for the morning.  I'd almost rather a 33-36F rain that runs off instead of freezes solidly on top of everything.

I wasn't paying attention to radar this afternoon but the 3" that fell at the Sugarbush snow cam between 12:30-3:30pm had to be almost entirely wind right?  It doesn't really look like it was snowing in the web cam loop but the snowstake hole had a pretty solid 1"/hr rate for 3" by 3:45pm.

12:30pm it was basically nothing.

1230pm Sugarbush.jpg

3:45pm they cleared an even 3" off it. 

345pm Sugarbush.jpg

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

It's even 32F here on the west side. Rarely get any ZR here, but heard from friends  that a few cars were off the roads little earlier.

Intrigued about the Thursday deal, but look to be a little to far west for the good stuff as of now, we'll see.

Yeah I think we may be too far west for Thursday but at the VERY LEAST should get some light accumulating snows with the upper level trough swinging through.

I'll take a couple inches to refresh the pack.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think we may be too far west for Thursday but at the VERY LEAST should get some light accumulating snows with the upper level trough swinging through.

PF,  we need a little love back down here.  I'll take 2" qpf in 12 hours, high winds and thundersnow.   I do have an unrelated question for you.  Is upslope more of a late fall early winter phenomenon than later in the season?   I am guessing it could be as the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay cool down and start freezing over.  Less general moisture coming in the W or NW flow.  Maybe not?  Just curious.   Thanks   Gene

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A little too far west is a familiar theme....lol. I dont need to jack, just don't want to be shutout, so even 3-6 is a win.

I know everyone complained about missing the big stuff in 14-15, but I still enjoyed that stretch even if we were fringed for a few events. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I wasn't paying attention to radar this afternoon but the 3" that fell at the Sugarbush snow cam between 12:30-3:30pm had to be almost entirely wind right?  It doesn't really look like it was snowing in the web cam loop but the snowstake hole had a pretty solid 1"/hr rate for 3" by 3:45pm.

12:30pm it was basically nothing.

1230pm Sugarbush.jpg

3:45pm they cleared an even 3" off it. 

345pm Sugarbush.jpg

:ph34r:

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Josh fox calling 6-12" for mrg.  Which makes sense since I'm off to Utah so of course it'll snow more here.

1 hour ago, sgottmann said:

I skiied until 1:00 pm today at Sugarbush.  I saw a few graupal like flakes and some sleet but did not see 3 inches of new snow. The mountain is not reporting 3 inches so my bet is wind. Very windy now. Hoping the Euro pans out on Thursday.

Begs the question about the placement of this webcam/stake- likely a drift-prone spot. Maybe they don't report 3" falling today, but when it does snow, and winds are up- questions arise...

North to south season totals so far:

Jay 132" 

Smuggs 103"

Stowe 117"

Bolton 110"

MRG 86"

Sugarbush 144"

Killington 82.5"

The foot or so difference between Smuggs and Stowe seems reasonable given local dynamics and local obs (and less consistent reporting from Smuggs, possibly but not assumed). Jay doesn't seem to be throwing around too crazy numbers- it falls in the realistic range of a +10% over Stowe/Smuggs area as accepted for the overall spread in the Greens- may be a bit overstated, but not by much.  Bolton as the southern bookend for the northern resorts comes in with 110" they did well with some uplsope that favored their location if memory serves correctly- a great start for them. Bolton comes in as the average between Smuggs and Stowe, seems fair to say ~110" for the Greens between Rt 2 to Rt 15 at or above 3000'.

That's a big jump in snowfall for SB, though. To be fair, for example there was a year where Bolton made out like a bandit over Stowe or Jay with their aspect/location. But it just seems like the writings on the wall here.

I had a chance to drive past the Middlebury Snow Bowl today. That seems like an interesting spot. Trails on multiple aspects of the hill. It looked liked they have pretty solid coverage, though snow depth didn't seem huge. I don't know why, other than an almost complete lack of atheletic ability, I've never taken up skiing, nearly everything about it fascinates me. 

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

complete lack of atheletic ability

Skiing isn't a sport, necessarily, in the traditional sense. It's just fun. You don't have to be good at it. From experience, you don't have to be an athelete to enjoy it- truly enjoy it. It has been said the best skier on the mountain is the one having the most fun.

Archived