Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hitman said:

This is killing me.  I might not make it through the month let alone the entire winter.

Its getting out of hand.  Every day.  It just gets better and better.

Here's some sunshine fluff this morning from the 2" overnight and 3" 24 hours.  Every passing cloud is getting it done.

2L8A9619compressed.jpg

2L8A9584compressed.jpg

For those curious, I don't think I've posted many from the 3,014ft plot but here's a visual so you can picture the location.

~2.5" of cotton candy overnight after 1" yesterday afternoon that was cleared at 3pm.

IMG_3983.JPG

And here's the plot.  It is very, very rare for any wind to get in here.  The trees have grown in a bit and I'd like to do some work on it but its highly illegal and I'm not touching that one yet.  It still has a clear line of sight straight up but those hardwood branches have started coming overhead in the past 5-7 years.

For a high elevation site I still think its one of the best locations I can find without excessive influence from the ridgeline or blow over.  If I jammed it up at 3,600ft on the east side of the ridgeline it would be interesting to see the difference.

IMG_3986.JPG

And here's a view from today at the top of the Gondola... and the star/circle is where the upper mountain snow board is located...its about 2/3rds of the way up the mountain...which I think gives a good value for what people are skiing and not just at the very summit.  With that said where I'm standing was probably more in the 3-4" range of fluff than the 2.5" found down 600ft lower.

snowstake.jpg

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Its getting out of hand.  Every day.  It just gets better and better.

Here's some sunshine fluff this morning from the 2" overnight and 3" 24 hours.  Every passing cloud is getting it done.

2L8A9619compressed.jpg

2L8A9584compressed.jpg

Shut up!  I need to work down here tomorrow but might make it up to ski midweek.  If I don't, it'll be interesting to see whether I kill myself or my wife kills me first. I'm thinking I should check myself into one of those rehab stints.  3 weeks of backcountry at fernie would be good for my soul.

I’ve added the latest BTV NWS maps and Winter Weather Advisory text below.  The advisories map shows how plenteous the coverage is with respect to winter weather in and surrounding the BTV NWS forecast area.  The storm total snow forecast map shows some fine tuning as the event gets closer, but seems generally on track with what thoughts have been over the past few days.

11DEC16A.jpg

VTZ001>012-016>019-112100-

/O.CON.KBTV.WW.Y.0014.161212T0000Z-161212T1800Z/

GRAND ISLE-WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-

LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-

WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF ALBURGH, SOUTH HERO, ST. ALBANS, NEWPORT,

ISLAND POND, BURLINGTON, JOHNSON, STOWE, ST. JOHNSBURY,

MONTPELIER, MIDDLEBURY, VERGENNES, BRADFORD, RANDOLPH, RUTLAND,

SPRINGFIELD, WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, ENOSBURG FALLS, RICHFORD,

UNDERHILL, BRISTOL, RIPTON, EAST WALLINGFORD, AND KILLINGTON

331 AM EST SUN DEC 11 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS

EVENING TO 1 PM EST MONDAY...

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TO HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED

ROADS, ESPECIALLY DURING THE MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE.

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...INCLUDING THE

CHAMPLAIN VALLEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...

ALONG WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE POSSIBLE.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY EARLY

MONDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA SUNDAY EVENING

AND BECOME MODERATE AT TIMES SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THE MORNING

HOURS ON MONDAY. PRECIPITATION WILL TAPER TO SCATTERED AREAS

OF LIGHT SNOW OR MIXED PRECIPITATION BY MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...SLOWLY RISING THROUGH THE 20S SUNDAY NIGHT. HIGHS

ON MONDAY IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOW 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED

ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

KGM

11DEC16B.jpg

Very nice pic Gene! I snuck over to Barnes Camp in Stowe at the south end of the notch and Powder wasn't kidding about the depths. I took a pair of flights there as well to make sure the new cable was the problem with the drone, and it was so all went well. It looked like mid winter out there and it was beautiful. I will post pics later. I loved seeing Mansfield totally encased in white from the evergreen line up. On the drive home the Underhill side was also looking like the peak of winter and fully white. 

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Very nice pic Gene! I snuck over to Barnes Camp in Stowe at the south end of the notch and Powder wasn't kidding about the depths. I took a pair of flights there as well to make sure the new cable was the problem with the drone, and it was so all went well. It looked like mid winter out there and it was beautiful. I will post pics later. I loved seeing Mansfield totally encased in white from the evergreen line up. On the drive home the Underhill side was also looking like the peak of winter and fully white. 

Snowpack there settled out to 16-17" this morning and I bet it might have settled another inch or so today as the top several inches were pure fluff.  However with this next system, I've got a shot to hit the 20" mark for the first time this season at 1,500ft for snow depth.

The difference between town and even the base of the resort is pretty incredible...I'm sure the difference between BTV and the resort is even more crazy, lol.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Snowpack there settled out to 16-17" this morning and I bet it might have settled another inch or so today as the top several inches were pure fluff.  However with this next system, I've got a shot to hit the 20" mark for the first time this season at 1,500ft for snow depth.

The difference between town and even the base of the resort is pretty incredible...I'm sure the difference between BTV and the resort is even more crazy, lol.

Hahah yeah the difference is a patchy dusting to an inch in this region (Depending on where squalls hit) to double digit depths at Barnes Camp lol.

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Hahah yeah the difference is a patchy dusting to an inch in this region (Depending on where squalls hit) to double digit depths at Barnes Camp lol.

Looking forward to the drone shots.  You get it when the sun was out this afternoon?

This side looks white but with the prevailing flow from the west, that west side usually builds rime up on the trees to some ridiculous levels...and with the afternoon sun, that's quite the view in the winter when its caked from anywhere west of the mountain.

2L8A9662_edited-2_zpszh6qzawu.jpg

Looking forward to the drone shots.  You get it when the sun was out this afternoon?

This side looks white but with the prevailing flow from the west, that west side usually builds rime up on the trees to some ridiculous levels...and with the afternoon sun, that's quite the view in the winter when its caked from anywhere west of the mountain.

2L8A9662_edited-2_zpszh6qzawu.jpg&key=a382ffa5807fdcc7c1d1bcaf8a55b21a3d2883c1eaee55f2b06690b77888c348

Yeah the sun was out. I will get to the pics this evening. It looked awesome.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, ono said:

report from the underhill side of Mansfield- the depths are getting better, but it appears as though 1600' base snowdepth is maybe 12-15", didn't anything about how it faired up higher.

That should be enough for the bottom of the teardrop back to the car.

My buddy skied it yesterday in that area and said he was the only recent track...recent doesn't mean much when it snows every night though.

Sounded like same amount of snow as the east side...it's all deep.

15326421_10211493847892847_3383276463597

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That should be enough for the bottom of the teardrop back to the car.

probably about right.From the sound of it, the CCC road is well-covered on the runout- but the side trails with the rocks/ledges down low are not passable on skis.  probably a different story above 2000' or so.

I’m not seeing much change in the latest BTV NWS maps for northern areas, but there have been some tweaks off to the south and west.  There were some areas in the 8-12” range down in Southern Vermont, but those are now in the 6-8” range consistent with most mountain areas in the state.  Presumably those are changes made by the Albany NWS.

11DEC16C.jpg

11DEC16D.jpg

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Seems like 4"-6" has been the call around here from the beginning. Started snowing around 9:00 or so, I wasn't really paying attention.  Not coming down all that hard so only a coating so far. 

same here.  though the point-click has a 6-11" for the  upper elevations. it would be great to get somewhere approaching 6" of higher density stuff at the lower elevations, with more up top- that would really help put a lot of terrain in play for all types of folks (skiers, sledders, etc).

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Until about 90 minutes ago, the difference was zero to winter. 

Took a little exploration in underhill too.  WAY less snow on the west side of mansfield than the east. The Froude numbers for these events really have favored the spine and eastern sides. Really noticeable and a little surprising. 

Event totals: 3.3” Snow/0.34” L.E.

Snow started up last night at some point between 9:30 and 10:00 P.M., and flakes have been fairly small.  Not surprisingly, coring the accumulation this morning revealed a very synoptic-like water content of right around 10%, which will certainly be helpful in substantiating the snowpack.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.34 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.7

Snow Density: 10.3% H2O

Temperature: 25.5 F

Sky: Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

2 inches snow, 0.23 inches melted precip.  A low end snow advisory and school was canceled.  Gonna be a long winter if the schools are so timid.  This makes me grumpy, which leads to my Monday morning pre-coffee pet peeve, measuring snowfall in inches and tenths of inches.  Millimeters just ain't that hard to do.

Looks like final tally will be 4.8" --now spitting ZR at 31F. High res mesos kind of nailed the micro climates down here in SVT--the valley town on the west slopes were in the 3-5" range while the east slope towns where in the 6-9" range on the upslope  SE flow while I was shadowed a bit. 

Its seems SNE peeps were getting use to out snowing WSNE,CNE, NNE--some angst in some of those threads.

I'm going to be interested what PF has on his snowboard. The snow was not evenly distributed on the Mtn a all this am. Patchy in the way that s winds put snow in stange places - i.e. no the snowboard.  I had it at 2-4" 

Also, VTRANs really dropped the ball this AM. I know I drive early, but not seeing 1 plow at 5:30 am is a little absurd. 

35 minutes ago, adk said:

I'm going to be interested what PF has on his snowboard. The snow was not evenly distributed on the Mtn a all this am. Patchy in the way that s winds put snow in stange places - i.e. no the snowboard.  I had it at 2-4" 

Also, VTRANs really dropped the ball this AM. I know I drive early, but not seeing 1 plow at 5:30 am is a little absurd. 

Just checked the High Rd and it's 4.5".  6am report was high but we'll get to 5" or close enough.  Still snowing but lightly.  

4" at the base and 3.5" on my car in town when I left.

Very evenly distributed by elevation.

Archived