Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I agree, this is not coming south of Orange/Rockland for anything more than 1-2 

btw have you looked at current temps compared to modeled?

overperforming cold out there tonight 

This is the optimal setup ahead of a system.  Clear for most of the night then clouding over late in time for morning so that you get maximum radiational cooling and then little heating the next day.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This is the optimal setup ahead of a system.  Clear for most of the night then clouding over late in time for morning so that you get maximum radiational cooling and then little heating the next day.

Yeah, let all the heat out, then trap in the cold with clouds.

hmm that snow shield is incoming towards n.y.c,some would say it's going to get snowy pretty soon. also my temp barely made above freezing here in the northern bronx and the dp is in the lower teens,unless we get a mega torch going i don't see a rapid changeover tonight..cold air seems to hold it's ground for most of the event.

4 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

hmm that snow shield is incoming towards n.y.c,some would say it's going to get snowy pretty soon. also my temp barely made above freezing here in the northern bronx and the dp is in the lower teens,unless we get a mega torch going i don't see a rapid changeover tonight..cold air seems to hold it's ground for most of the event.

you will be dissapointed if you think the cold air is going to lock in with this system. It is going to warm up very fast overnight when the low level jet starts to crank. The surface high is still just offshore, and once it moves further east the southerly flow will help to warm things up. 

10 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

It's WAA....it'll change quickly

9 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

There is nothing to hold your cold air in at the surface. The surface high is off shore now and return flow out of the south is starting. The midlevels are going to warm in a hurry 

The latest HRRR shows this as a mainly rain event for everyone south of Orange County. Barely any snow accumulation. Here is what Joe Cioffi has to say, he just updated less than 10 minutes ago: "

Snow Unimpressive On Radar

You only have to take a look at the radar to see how unimpressive the snow is at the moment. If this remains the case, and latest short range models say it will be, the snow totals will be little along the coast and maybe a coating to an inch or two well inland. Even there it might be a struggle. The lead snow ahead of the warm front is just not developing at all. Dry air ahead of it seems to be killing it off. When the main moisture arrives later tonight it will be warm enough for mostly rain along the coast and maybe a quick burst of snow inland before changing to rain. We will just monitor the radar going forward to see if there are any changes."

Archived