SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

despite notions NAM/GFS is colder there still is only about a 3-6 hour window for snow after midnight tomorrow. even in the weaker GFS, its still rain at SWF per BUFKIT. I urge everyone to not run with snowmaps. This situation is troubling with the strong WAA aloft even inland somewhat

Just now, SBUWX23 said:

despite notions NAM/GFS is colder there still is only about a 3-6 hour window for snow after midnight tomorrow. even in the weaker GFS, its still rain at SWF per BUFKIT. I urge everyone to not run with snowmaps. This situation is troubling with the strong WAA aloft even inland somewhat

The coasts best shot is tomorrow morning into the afternoon on what the initial slug of moisture looks like 

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

So nice to have agreement with the short range models this close in lol. The NAM is very different from the RGEM

4k hi res Nam is snowier than the RGEM or darn near identical 

edit: RGEM is a bit snowier, holds 850s off to the south longer, Nams too amped and 850s push north during heavier precip, hopefully enhanced precip rates would encourage dynamic cooling up here and hold the mix line like the RGEM depicts

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Not because it shows the most snow... but the RGEM ( I don't think anyone would disagree) is by far the best meso model out there...

It probably is overall.  It has some bad stretches at times.  It was amazing in the 13-14 winter, not quite as great in the 14-15 winter, but still good.  Last winter it was very bad, and that carried over to the summer.  Lately its been better.  I think as bad as it was last winter though it was probably still better than the GFS and NAM.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It probably is overall.  It has some bad stretches at times.  It was amazing in the 13-14 winter, not quite as great in the 14-15 winter, but still good.  Last winter it was very bad, and that carried over to the summer.  Lately its been better.  I think as bad as it was last winter though it was probably still better than the GFS and NAM.

regardless of how this turns out for anyone including us "upstate" guys lol... a snowy solution would be a major win for the GGEM, who is often the stepchild of the models lol... I personally like the GGEM, it often nails events when it's locked, however it tends to be the erratic of the 3 main Global's, which is why my interest has been peaked for so long on this event, GGEM hasn't budged on this solution in nearly a week, while the GFS and euro have traded places 3 times over on amped cutter/weak push

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Heaviest snows on RGEM are in NW NJ and NW of the Tappan Zee.  Westchester and Putnam continue to be mostly southeast of anything over 1-2 inches

I agree, this is not coming south of Orange/Rockland for anything more than 1-2 

btw have you looked at current temps compared to modeled?

overperforming cold out there tonight 

Archived