Newest Member
    Dano62
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Still a chance for a surprise by the coast if you want the optimistic view.  The southerly flow is light enough through 06Z that if more WAA snow breaks out than expected I think it can remain all snow as late as 04-06Z.  As of now though I don't see anything meaningful falling til 00z.

there is a decent dry punch behind that initial surge tomorrow evening. Thats going to be trouble for any snow before 06z after the dry punch. 

3 minutes ago, TriPol said:

We've seen storms like this over perform or under perform before... they never stick to what the models say and given the density of the cold air, I'll say this either changes to sleet or it stays snow, but never goes to rain except for extreme coastal locations.

There's just not alot of moisture during the afternoon/evening hours. Most models show a tenth of an inch or less so by the time the main slug gets in here its too warm for snow at all levels. If they're wrong about that then we could see a couple inches before the changeover, but could also see just flurries or snow showers with no real accums

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

There's just not alot of moisture during the afternoon/evening hours. Most models show a tenth of an inch or less so by the time the main slug gets in here its too warm for snow at all levels. If they're wrong about that then we could see a couple inches before the changeover, but could also see just flurries or snow showers with no real accums

The one thing that stands out is that there is not a huge dry layer to overcome, so anything that does develop may reach the ground quickly. 

8 minutes ago, TriPol said:

We've seen storms like this over perform or under perform before... they never stick to what the models say and given the density of the cold air, I'll say this either changes to sleet or it stays snow, but never goes to rain except for extreme coastal locations.

It's possible I guess but I think it may be a stretch, I fully anticipate to switch to rain/mix Monday AM sometime all the way up here

3 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

not sure what you are talking about. the trend has been warmer even in the euro. this is a difficult pattern to keep things all snow even by you. Looking at snowmaps from these models will burn you

If the new RPM model run is correct, no one basically sees anything lol. It plows the warm front right through central New England very fast, has it going to all rain even up that way 

3 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

ice in this pattern? what is locking in the cold at the surface? 

Even the warmest model (GFS) keeps 850s below 0 for the duration of this event, till the front pushes through and we flip for about 4 hours on the tail end....nobody is saying this has the potential to be a 6-10" snowfall up here, but 2-4/3-5" is still something to be excited about, in December... for an area that speaking for myself received 2.9" last season 

Upton for O.C

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
506 AM EST SAT DEC 10 2016

NYZ067-111015-
ORANGE-
506 AM EST SAT DEC 10 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL AND SOME LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATION IS
POSSIBLE FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY MORNING.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE NEEDED.

&&

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK PROVIDES A SUMMARY OF POTENTIAL
WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS WEATHER EVENTS THAT MAY REACH NWS WARNING
CRITERIA. MOST LONG FUSED NWS WATCHES...WARNINGS AND ADVISORIES IN
EFFECT ARE HIGHLIGHTED.

PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST NWS FORECASTS FOR WEATHER NOT MEETING NWS
WARNING CRITERIA.

$$

36 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Even the warmest model (GFS) keeps 850s below 0 for the duration of this event, till the front pushes through and we flip for about 4 hours on the tail end....nobody is saying this has the potential to be a 6-10" snowfall up here, but 2-4/3-5" is still something to be excited about, in December... for an area that speaking for myself received 2.9" last season 

925 mb temperatures are warmer than 850. 

3 hours ago, SBUWX23 said:

925 mb temperatures are warmer than 850. 

WWA advisory issued 

Hazard types...Snow.

* Snow accumulations...Snow accumulation of 3 to 6 inches...With locally higher amounts possible across higher elevations of The Eastern catskills and portions of Schoharie County.

* Timing...Light Snow will overspread the region during Sunday afternoon. Steadier Snow...Some moderate in intensity...Will develop late Sunday evening and continue through Daybreak Monday. The Snow May Mix with or change to Rain and sleet after Daybreak Monday morning for areas South of interstate 90.

* Impacts...Snow covered roadways and reduced visibilities Due to falling Snow.

* Winds...South 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.

* Temperatures...Mid 20s to around 30...Rising into the lower to Mid 30s by Mid morning Monday.

FWIW check out NRN IL today.  It won't necessarily translate downstream here, but its the same portion of the system more or less that will impact this area tomorrow.  That snow is relatively "heavy" compared to what last night's 00Z GFS and NAM runs had.  The RGEM by far is forecasting it best.  The UKMET was not bad but was too far north.

Archived