Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 10-12 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

6 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Jackpot. :)

Looking good.  Still have some nagging concern about the WAA being a little underdone and temps rising to/slightly above freezing ahead of models (especially a place like me in a more urbanized setting) but it's minor in the scheme of things.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, OHweather said:

With a prolonged period of snow and strong isentropic lift and fgen for a few hours in many spots on the nose of the strong low to mid level jet, I think the weak nature of the system itself can be overcome. When you get a prolonged period of snow and some strong lifting mechanisms at times it can add up. If the initial overrunning snow is high ratio that could help too...I haven't looked at any soundings because I'm on my phone at work, so not sure how ratios look. 

It's a formidable setup for decent amounts, no doubt.

That said, I simply don't see this as a strong candidate for an overachiever either. 

14 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It's a formidable setup for decent amounts, no doubt.

That said, I simply don't see this as a strong candidate for an overachiever either. 

I doubt someone gets some ridiculous total like 15" or 18"...but personally I like some double digits in the corridor I mentioned. 

18z NAM bumped north quite a bit for this area.  12z gave us 8", 18z gives only 5".  About an impossible forecast for those of us along the extreme southern gradient.  Gonna continue to ride my original 3-5/2-4 for here/QC.  Wouldn't be surprised if we only got 2", or 7"+ at this point.  

Snowing quite nicely right now, with very nice dendrites.  Already about a half inch or so.

Made a quick gif of soundings off the 12Z NAM for KDPA from this evening until Monday 1am. 
Starts off with a saturated column largely at or near the DGZ but then the whole column quickly warms throughout the event and in turn, lowering the SLRs. Using 'max temp in profile' method on bufkit to measure the ratios, the event begins with ~18:1 then steadily decreases to 10:1, which makes sense given DGZ depth and location with time. Using Max Temp in Profile on bufkit, it yields 11.5" for KDPA on that NAM run given ~0.8" of QPF.
There also isn't a shocking amount of omega co-located with the DGZ and the DGZ column ends up at ~15kft, the dendrites will break up by the time those dendrites make it down to the sfc with 50kts aloft. Tough forecast given the ratio change throughout the event, but should hopefully end up in double digit snowfall depth by the end of the event.

soundings.gif

ratios.PNG

Tom Skilling (2mins ago) "Just in--and it's boosted it's snow forecast. I'm talking about the latest WRF 4km snow forecast--and it may still be underplaying the storm system's total snowfall. I also want you to be able to scroll through the RPM's snow forecast through Sunday evening in 3 hour increments. This model run's reintroduced the notion snow may pause in parts of the area in the middle portion of Sunday--but resurge later. This pause is not indicated by the Weather Service's 3 & 4km WRF duo nor on the Service's operation WRF run. Whether the pause occurs or not may be academic. This will have no impact on the system's ultimate snow production. By the way, I'm also throwing in the Weather Service SREF model's 50mb or deeper dendritic growth zone forecast. That sounds complicated--but what it shows is actually pretty direct. If lays out the zone in which the most active snowflake development is apt to take place. Bottom line, snow's coming and we'll have quite an accumulation (8 to 12") before this is all over--and it wouldn't be surprise if some spots see several inches more."

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Very difficult forecast down around LAF.  Indy has them at 1-2" but that could end up being considerably underdone.

Yeah, very tough forecast for areas where the cutoff will be on the south edge. With the way trends are heading could see areas get more than expected near the southern edge 

According to current radar, the heaviest returns are right over DeKalb county right now. I was just in town and the snow isn't falling very significant at all. With a back edge already between I39 and IA, that doesn't bode well in the short term.

Maybe if the hide and seek second wave actually materializes....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, DaveNay said:

According to current radar, the heaviest returns are right over DeKalb county right now. I was just in town and the snow isn't falling very significant at all. With a back edge already between I39 and IA, that doesn't bode well in the short term.

Maybe if the hide and seek second wave actually materializes....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say it is heavy snow, but it is huge dendrites that are stacking up quickly. 

Archived