joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 10-12 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That cutoff is way, way too close out here. Only 30 miles to my south now. This north bleed needs to stop, but a bit of reassurance exists because DVN said the north bleed on the GFS is overdone and the storm is too warm. Currently thinking of a last Sunday esque system south of I80. Where if it starts as snow it would likely stay as snow.

13 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

GFS is all snow for Chicago except maybe some snizzle after it is over......liquid is like 0.8 - 0.9"....Solid event forthcoming. 

I'm seeing the 2m temps pop above freezing as the low passes overhead. I'm thinking a period of slop even up here in Lake County can't be ruled out.

4 minutes ago, tuanis said:

I'm seeing the 2m temps pop above freezing as the low passes overhead. I'm thinking a period of slop even up here in Lake County can't be ruled out.

Obviously just one model run of one model, but Chicago is pretty much done when mixing would potentially start. Soundings are rock solid through mid evening Sunday....At least as the GFS is depicting, there may be some mixing toward 3z on Sunday night, but 0z is a rock solid snow sounding.  Not much falls after 3z.  Maybe like 0.05 liquid, and the warming is low level, so it would probably still be snow with some sleet mixing in...

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Usually they're one of the first in the area.

As they were with the last event.

Yeah, it seems like they ride the hype train and tend to be out in front on most things snow related. I would guess LOT coordinated with the other area WFOs prior to issuance and we will see a coherent map as the day progresses

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

Usually they're one of the first in the area.

As they were with the last event.

I'm comparing with offices further north and west, they very well may be one of the earlier offices when compared with offices south and east. Which makes sense since that's the way storms track.

The model differences in the details for areas south of I-80 are huge.  NAM won't give up on having less precip there.

Latest runs never actually warm 850 mb above 0C here.  The GFS has decent precip rates around the time it warms the low levels above freezing, so the weenie in me hopes it's being a little too aggressive. Rain shouldn't hurt things too much even in worst case scenario.

Archived