Newest Member
    joxey
December 10-12 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Even showing lake enhancement in IL/WI at 84hrs as well.

Probably have some big runs in the future.

Looks plausible as long as the track doesn't end up too far north.  How much it would boost snow amounts is questionable though given low level thermal issues.

When we get these zonal flows like this with some cold air in place MBY usually is right on the knife edge.  Plus I live right on the border of IND and IWX coverage so I get to be a super :weenie: which way I get to pick from an official forecast point.  Not a lot of faith here that we're going to get much more than a few inches, then rain, then stalagmites.  A little ripple in the SE ridge and I mean little could mean the difference between heart attack shoveling concrete and, well heart attack shoveling fluff.  I'm still rooting for IWX's north south I 70 call  a few day's ago but I think the days of the I 70 line need to e moved up to HWY 28 lol.  After 3 weeks in Texas I'm just happy there's something finally looking white.  BTW, we were forecast flurries and we have a half inch, still very -SN and temps under performed from what was forecast.  Where I live you have to look for a silver lining somewhere ;)

Well, despite the negative factors such as ratios becoming worse on Sunday as well as the possibility of mixing reaching up to or even north of I-80, it's hard not to like the chances for a band of 6"+ extending to areas a bit south of I-80.  The long duration and what should be pretty good ratios early on really help. 

WPC model discussion

PROGRESSIVE SHORTWAVE AND SURFACE LOW REACHING THE MIDWEST BY MONDAY MORNING ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 12Z ECMWF/12Z UKMET/12Z CMC CONFIDENCE: SLIGHTLY BELOW AVERAGE A SURFACE LOW TRACKING FROM THE LEE OF THE ROCKIES SATURDAY AFTERNOON TO THE OHIO VALLEY BY MONDAY MORNING WILL BE SUPPORTED BY A BROAD MID-LEVEL TROUGH ORIGINATING FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. BY THE END OF THE FORECAST PERIOD ON MONDAY, THE CMC/ECMWF/UKMET ARE WELL CLUSTERED OVER INDIANA AND OHIO, AND THE NAM AND GFS FARTHER TO THE NORTH AND STRONGER WITH THE SURFACE LOW. THE NAM IS AN OUTLIER WITH HAVING AN OVER-AMPLIFIED TROUGH OVER THE MIDWEST, AND THE GFS IS MORE PROGRESSIVE THAN THE MODEL CONSENSUS.

19 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

0z ECMWF is weak and disorganized overall.

First wave is weak, and essentially leads right into the second wave, which is a mess.

It's not great.  But not awful either.  Depending on what you're expecting.   Euro has the snow stop around Midnight Sunday night.  But then another batch develops late Monday night and drops a little more.  

This is through Monday morning 6 am.  Euro has the snow stopping around 11pm Sunday night for Chicago.  First is 10:1 and 2nd image is 15:1.  So maybe split the difference?  You guys know your backyard better than I do.  

DrGOC4P.png

ZenhSro.png

1 hour ago, L.B. LaForce said:

A bit late with this data, but FWIW, here is the 12Z ECMWF Ensemble Mean Accumulated Snowfall through 10 days (240 hrs). Snowfall ratios calculated using the Cobb method.

6uTXmDJ.png

Will  not ask for a link.  However is this through 240 hours or say 84 hours?  That makes a huge difference on how we define that map that you posted

36 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

It's not great.  But not awful either.  Depending on what you're expecting.   Euro has the snow stop around Midnight Sunday night.  But then another batch develops late Monday night and drops a little more.  

This is through Monday morning 6 am.  Euro has the snow stopping around 11pm Sunday night for Chicago.  First is 10:1 and 2nd image is 15:1.  So maybe split the difference?  You guys know your backyard better than I do.  

DrGOC4P.png

ZenhSro.png

I think something like 12 to 14:1 for an event average is certainly doable for most areas... better early on.  That may be tough to pull off in Chicago and other areas near the lake though.  Even if the low stays south, you'd still have winds coming off the relatively mild water.  I wouldn't be surprised if areas near the lake have a period of 10:1 or less.

The system precip bands has really changed over the last few days on the GFS but he general snow totals seem much unchanged. Did notice one the NAM there seems to be much more LES enhancement off the southern portion of lake Michigan vs the GFS giving the northern tiers of southern lower quite the boost in snow totals. I guess this could be why its been a northern outlier ...

Archived