Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 10-12 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

Would like to see that low a little further south. In N. Indiana we get almost a foot of snow, followed by rain, followed by a little more snow. Plenty of time for things to change, I suppose.

Is it too much to ask to remain snow through the whole event?!

Gets extremely close to changing to rain even here in the far northwest corner of the state. 

Looks  like yet another non-event here for me just north of the Twin Cities. I do wonder if we will ever have a good snow again. Everything these last few years has missed north or south or has been rain instead of snow. Looks like you are all going to get crushed though.

Compared to yesterday's 12z run, the Euro now has more troughing off the PacNW coast at hr 72 (wave 3), which I'm guessing is a reason why wave 2 no longer is able to amplify as much.

Update:  It appears the 12z Euro is in between the last two runs, as it does add a modest second wave back in compared to the 00z.

22 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Compared to yesterday's 12z run, the Euro now has more troughing off the PacNW coast at hr 72 (wave 3), which I'm guessing is a reason why wave 2 no longer is able to amplify as much.

Update:  It appears the 12z Euro is in between the last two runs, as it does add a modest second wave back in compared to the 00z.

It is. It is better than the 0z run it had last night but not as good as the 12z GFS

.50"-.70" liquid across eastern IA into all over northern IL. 

44 minutes ago, Stormgeek said:

Looks  like yet another non-event here for me just north of the Twin Cities. I do wonder if we will ever have a good snow again. Everything these last few years has missed north or south or has been rain instead of snow. Looks like you are all going to get crushed though.

I hear ya. We have been in a serious screw zone for two years now. My sister in DC has had more snow than us in each of the past two winters. 

This should be a pretty widespread/significant snow, but the highest ceiling to me is out in parts of IA/IL. That area looks to get hit pretty good with the initial snows with model indications of some weakening farther east.  Then depending on how developed the 2nd part is, they could get another pretty significant hit.  The 2nd part coming in weaker would reduce the potential a bit, but I'm just talking if everything were to go right.

I would expect this storm to overperform relative to current guidance, and warm advection will be very limited, rain-snow line may end up closer to central IL and IN than currently speculated, but a very heavy snowfall likely ORD-DTW-YYZ, would expect 12-18 inches. The depth and stability of the cold air banked up over central Canada spilling out over fresh snow cover from recent storm in ND-nwMN will keep the Pacific wave train from making any moves but it will be strong enough to create strong cyclogenesis over KS-MO by Sunday night. Track of low most likely to be about SPI-CMH-SYR. Something in 980s not improbable, current models look too flabby for the energy peak available on 12th. 

That would sure help me out.

I would expect this storm to overperform relative to current guidance, and warm advection will be very limited, rain-snow line may end up closer to central IL and IN than currently speculated, but a very heavy snowfall likely ORD-DTW-YYZ, would expect 12-18 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

12/19/08 is the leading CIPS analog at 84 hours.  But again, going through the full list, it looks like we're going to snow farther south than almost all 15.

I will NEVER forget that event.  I was a senior in high school at that time - definitely interested in weather, so I had been following this event beforehand - and my brother and I did snow removal for people for spending money.  My alarm went off at 3:30 AM, like it would when I was anticipating work to do, and my right eye was swollen shut for some reason.  Still not sure whether there would be school, we went out and found an accumulation of over 3" of sleet to remove.  Absolutely awful!  I did a little post mortem, and my area had sat at a sweet (sour?) spot on the mixing line for sleet for the entire night.  At least school ended up cancelled. 

BTW, I live in Florida now after spending almost four years in central Pennsylvania for grad school (and then hanging out for a year after that) but will be up there for Christmas, beginning next Friday or Saturday (depending upon the weather).  I can't wait to see what's on the ground! 

I will NEVER forget that event.  I was a senior in high school at that time - definitely interested in weather, so I had been following this event beforehand - and my brother and I did snow removal for people for spending money.  My alarm went off at 3:30 AM, like it would when I was anticipating work to do, and my right eye was swollen shut for some reason.  Still not sure whether there would be school, we went out and found an accumulation of over 3" of sleet to remove.  Absolutely awful!  I did a little post mortem, and my area had sat at a sweet (sour?) spot on the mixing line for sleet for the entire night.  At least school ended up cancelled. 

BTW, I live in Florida now after spending almost four years in central Pennsylvania for grad school (and then hanging out for a year after that) but will be up there for Christmas, beginning next Friday or Saturday (depending upon the weather).  I can't wait to see what's on the ground! 

Oh that was the sleet storm! I'm so glad you mentioned that because I still remember that quite well. Wake up expecting to go sledding, and it's all sleet

22 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Oh that was the sleet storm! I'm so glad you mentioned that because I still remember that quite well. Wake up expecting to go sledding, and it's all sleet

It's the biggest sleet event I remember...

I can't remember for sure how that one turned out in western Ohio. 

Archived