• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 10-12 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

Next system of real interest in this fairly progressive regime arrives later this weekend into early next week.  Have some general model agreement on there being a system at that time but of course the all important details are tbd.

It looks like this system will have a fairly decent moisture feed, so several inches appears quite possible.  There will be decent antecedent cold that will have to be scoured out, but warmer risks do exist depending on system evolution.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Came on here to start a thread for this and was 20 mins too late lol 

0z GFS and GEM both look solid with the GEM being faster and further north with what could be a fairly nice spread the wealth event

That GFS run has something pretty unusual...it has like 6-8" around here before flipping to some rain. I've never really seen that before (snow ending as drizzle, sure). Plenty of time and model runs to go.

Both the 12z GFS and GGEM have a band of 6-10"+ when using better than 10:1.  What could possibly go wrong, right?  I like these setups though that don't really rely on much phasing... doesn't mean something can't go wrong but the error potential is not as large imo.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Both the 12z GFS and GGEM have a band of 6-10"+ when using better than 10:1.  What could possibly go wrong, right?  I like these setups though that don't really rely on much phasing... doesn't mean something can't go wrong but the error potential is not as large imo.

Definitely nice not to have drastic run to run swings as the models phase or miss. Should be another nice weekend snow. 

41 minutes ago, OHweather said:

I'd be nervous on the southern end of this one with the low going so far north and a south flow over such a large area. 

Agree.  That LLJ means business (at least as currently modeled) so surface-850 mb warming is a problem with southward extent, but perhaps not before a decent front end shot of snow.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Agree.  That LLJ means business (at least as currently modeled) so surface-850 mb warming is a problem with southward extent, but perhaps not before a decent front end shot of snow.

Yeah, the decent LLJ and moisture return may allow for a decent thump, and heavy precip, if it occurs, could offset the WAA for a time. For MBY the Euro and Canadian are all snow, though the Euro would be close. Would love to see things trend a bit cooler. With the low going to our north we can't count on the high locking in any cold, it'll all be about the antecedent cold and how long it takes to scour out. 

14 minutes ago, Snowlover33 said:

Hi everyone, was planning on driving from Morgantown to Cleveland Saturday to see the Browns game and go back sunday night. Dont want to make the trip if there is going to be snow on the roads Sunday, should I be worried or is the time frame more Monday? Thanks.

I'd keep track of the storm, the majority of the snow would be during the day Sunday exiting the area around 0Z Monday

15 minutes ago, Snowlover33 said:

Hi everyone, was planning on driving from Morgantown to Cleveland Saturday to see the Browns game and go back sunday night. Dont want to make the trip if there is going to be snow on the roads Sunday, should I be worried or is the time frame more Monday? Thanks.

Right now it looks like a 3-6" event mostly north of i-80 but it's still 96hrs+ away from starting so more changes will come. I'd say keep your plans for now and keep watching newer model runs over the next couple days :D

I'll take both the GFS and the CMC tonight. both are similar in having a share the wealth system for most of us. GFS has a very wide spread 7-10 and the CMC. is a wide spread 6-9. heavier totals near the lake(SW MI) do to some enhancement I assume.

EDIT: I used kuchera, so whether or not ratios actually pan out may or may not add totals. Higher ratios sometimes have a harder time occurring though in my experience.

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Evolves a bit differently this time, the low is further south as well.

Yep, which keeps the WAA at bay a bit.  I'm nervous about this setup though.  Not so much that there wouldn't be any snow here but that rain could make its way into the picture with a more amped system.  Have to keep the surface reflection on the weak side.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yep, which keeps the WAA at bay a bit.  I'm nervous about this setup though.  Not so much that there wouldn't be any snow here but that rain could make its way into the picture with a more amped system.  Have to keep the surface reflection on the weak side.

I think we are sitting pretty nicely where we are right now 

Archived