SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-2017 OBS

Carvers Gap

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that was very fun while it lasted. Picked up a half inch on the grass and picnic table roads just wet, but the cool thing about it was the rate at which it was coming down! The event in early January was at night, so it was hard to see. This time, we just had turkey feather flakes falling for about 30 min. I'll consider that a win to see it during the late afternoon and hope for a little more after dark, but if it doesn't, oh well, I'm tickled that this system squeeked out this band for me!

Just rode home, off and on heavy snow shows still rotating across. Goes from nothing falling to ripping nickels and quarters for 15-20 minutes. Since dark it's been more cooperative about sticking to roads, around 1.25 inches here. One thing the models got right here was that they all showed all snow here. It never rained and I'd guess the ones showing 3 inches of snow fall were right, it's just that around 1/3 was able to accumulate due to warm ground after weeks near 60 and not getting sub freezing a night and not being below 32 most of the day. Also, I-75 being treated for snow/ice throughout CC per TDOT. Heavy band crossed the southern and northern end of the county in the last 30 minutes.

C3YzN0zWEAEN1n6.jpg

Sunday afternoon 1/29/17 Chattanooga had some graupely snow showers. More than I expected, lol. Convective nature made the clouds interesting. 

Welcome new posters! Detailed descriptions of precip type, precip mix, intensity, size, shape, texture etc are great. Ground truth is priceless.

Though Chatty missed, it was a great weekend. Most important ob: Kansas pulled out the road win in the challenging Rupp Arena venue!

14 hours ago, John1122 said:

Second heaviest rate of the day just moved across. Nearly a white out. These convective bands are fast but mean business. 

Had one convective band move through around 9:00 PM last night.  Managed a heavy dusting.  It did mean business.  Like 30 mph winds and heavy snow for about 10mins.  Hey, bout time we have a clipper party at your house.  You rarely miss on these.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Icy Hot said:

33 degrees with snow burst here in Gray,TN. Ground is white. 

Live between Boones Creek and Gray and we also had a whitening of the ground with a brief, but very heavy snow shower.  Temp dropped to 28 during the intensity, then back to 31 after it quit.  I tried to imagine this is what it looks like west of Boston, just a LOT more.... lol

Congratulations! You all can officially report involvement with the great 2017 Nor'easter and New England thunder snowstorm. Cape Cod transfer on radar loop is impressive. NYC wrapping up quickly, but they got it. Boston is going to get hammered even harder. 

Philly is lucky they got what they did, that just-in-time thickness crash is usually too-late boundary layer. Sound familiar in southeast Tenn? LOL! Anyway, we can say a small part of Tennessee was involved today.

Update for below: Kingsport went all Kansas that 24-hour period. Nice!

Archived