Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, Bosart's Hysplit run was similar with the 3000 m temps. 

The discussion is interesting though, why did we shatter some monthly records if the air mass was anomalous but not extreme.

Yeah I don't think we broke monthly mid-level temp records?

I guess just all the stars lined up to maximize everything at the sfc...including melting off most of the snow cover in the preceding few days.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I don't think we broke monthly mid-level temp records?

I guess just all the stars lined up to maximize everything at the sfc...including melting off most of the snow cover in the preceding few days.

Actually it does look like ALB set their daily 25.00z with +10.6 at 850 mb, but the monthly 11.3 did not fall. That I'm aware of anyway.

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

While thats understood to an extent.....That is what a first responders job is lol. Whether its a horrible accident or an idiot, they signed up to help/rescue those in distress. 

7 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I really hope you are kidding here.  Sadly, there is no distinction between saving someone who is Darwin-award worthy and someone who is victim of an accident.

If someone knowingly risks their life by breaking laws, or not following an ounce of common sense, I wish first responders did not have to save them. Or at least they get a hefty bill sent their way. 

I actually agree with Iceberg and that's coming from someone who has very close friends who have removed lifeless bodies from the mountains (and I've seen it first hand a couple times over the years too)...including this year's tragic event which was basically a snow drowning.  The people that do this know what they are getting into and are fully capable of handling what comes at them.  Of course its always tough and never gets easy, but you try and rescue and support everyone from the Darwins to those who are fully prepared. 

I'm personally in the camp of we shouldn't charge for rescues.  I think it should be a public service but understand the other side as well.  I just don't think anyone should be scared to call for help for fear of financial penalties.  Yes, there are serious Darwin awards out there but to be honest, most of those people don't die.  There are a lot of people who are fully prepared, understand the risks, and go for it because they like to push themselves.  

From what I read on those skimmers through Weirs, they were fully prepared and knew what they were doing.  To me, I applaud that.  Many disagree.  But they did their research and pulled it off.  They had a sled modified for that sort of thing and they were wearing wet-suits for the cold temperatures.  There's a reason a lot of locals were in favor of what they did and did not condone them.  It sounds reckless to most people, but the general public doesn't get why you'd want to hike to a windswept peak and ski down something that could avalanche or you could hit a tree or whatever.

The first responders are usually people who enjoy doing those things as well (at least up here) and know the risks but do it out of public service. 

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

The kids that did this were caught and fined $500 they did a GoFundMe page and raised  the $500 within half an hour to be reimbursed. Stupid thing to do but they had wetsuits and spotters on both sides. Up here in the local area most everyone seems to be supporting this stunt. I guess I'm getting old pretty deadly thing to do.

Was this fine for a violation of a town ordinance or were they actually charged in the court system ?

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I actually agree with Iceberg and that's coming from someone who has very close friends who have removed lifeless bodies from the mountains (and I've seen it first hand a couple times over the years too)...including this year's tragic event which was basically a snow drowning.  The people that do this know what they are getting into and are fully capable of handling what comes at them.  Of course its always tough and never gets easy, but you try and rescue and support everyone from the Darwins to those who are fully prepared. 

I'm personally in the camp of we shouldn't charge for rescues.  I think it should be a public service but understand the other side as well.  I just don't think anyone should be scared to call for help for fear of financial penalties.  Yes, there are serious Darwin awards out there but to be honest, most of those people don't die.  There are a lot of people who are fully prepared, understand the risks, and go for it because they like to push themselves.  

From what I read on those skimmers through Weirs, they were fully prepared and knew what they were doing.  To me, I applaud that.  Many disagree.  But they did their research and pulled it off.  They had a sled modified for that sort of thing and they were wearing wet-suits for the cold temperatures.  There's a reason a lot of locals were in favor of what they did and did not condone them.  It sounds reckless to most people, but the general public doesn't get why you'd want to hike to a windswept peak and ski down something that could avalanche or you could hit a tree or whatever.

The first responders are usually people who enjoy doing those things as well (at least up here) and know the risks but do it out of public service. 

You bring up a good point about fearing calling for rescue because of a "rescue penalty" or whatever it may be, which is why I'm not in favor of that sort of thing. But if you broke the law and got yourself into trouble, then I surely have no problem with you paying a fine as a result of getting caught. 

For the NH LEOs who have to patrol those lakes in the winter, finding YouTube video of a violation is really no different than seeing it themselves, except the lawbreaker was dumb enough to put it on the internet. I do fine the GoFundMe page particularly irritating. I mean if you were so prepared for the stunt, then be prepared for the fine too. Don't make some other person pay for it because you don't want to. 

Get off my lawn! :oldman:

Archived