Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

58 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Tips up on that transition.  I would not want to fall on the ice, or in the 32degree water for that matter.

There are tons of skimming videos out there.  People do this with sleds quite a bit.

I've done it a few times on a snowmobile over short distances... and very small bodies of water (basically glorified puddles).

I wouldn't do anything that actually could put myself or others in harm. The water was only a couple feet deep at best.

Ultimately...people do stupid and dangerous stuff. The choice is yours, but sometimes there are consequences. Even something like skiing is no different 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

agree with dendrite. after the 4 deaths earlier this month on the lakes, F&G is on high alert and very sensitive to this type of illegal activity. I am sure it is fun for the participants, but the first responders who might have to fish a dead body out of the lake probably feel differently.

Exactly.  The people who do this are risking not only their lives (fine if that's what you want to do) but risking the lives of the first responders who put themselves at great risk to fish these idiots out of the lake.

41 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Exactly.  The people who do this are risking not only their lives (fine if that's what you want to do) but risking the lives of the first responders who put themselves at great risk to fish these idiots out of the lake.

While thats understood to an extent.....That is what a first responders job is lol. Whether its a horrible accident or an idiot, they signed up to help/rescue those in distress. 

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

While thats understood to an extent.....That is what a first responders job is lol. Whether its a horrible accident or an idiot, they signed up to help/rescue those in distress. 

I really hope you are kidding here.  Sadly, there is no distinction between saving someone who is Darwin-award worthy and someone who is victim of an accident.

If someone knowingly risks their life by breaking laws, or not following an ounce of common sense, I wish first responders did not have to save them. Or at least they get a hefty bill sent their way. 

23 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I really hope you are kidding here.  Sadly, there is no distinction between saving someone who is Darwin-award worthy and someone who is victim of an accident.

If someone knowingly risks their life by breaking laws, or not following an ounce of common sense, I wish first responders did not have to save them. Or at least they get a hefty bill sent their way. 

In theory, what is the difference between an idiot going 85 on the highway, loses control and crashes into the Tolland trees off I84 vs someone who goes the speed limit and does the same thing? One is breaking the law while the other is not, yet the end result is the same...do we "wish we didnt have to save" the speedster? Does the law abiding citizen deserve to be saved more? 

My point is, its not a perfect world so people need to get off their high horse where we pick and chose who is worthy. Helicpoter rescues happen when rock climbers or hikers slip up and fall or whatever. Or extreme skiiers in avalanche prone areas of the world. Half the people will say "they shouldnt have been there in the first place", so do we not rescue them? 

If someone is doing something illegal, we chase them down, if need be we rescue them, then we slap the handcuffs on and throw them in the slammer, if they live. Thats reality and its always been that way. 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

But if you look best snow years are cold. Temp rises in low snow years

Yea, you right. I wonder if we go back further, what it would show. Like there must be winters that were uber cold and snowless while "warmer" winters were snowy.....or would it still show the same correlation. What I am getting at is, the too cold for snow theory many decades ago so moderation was better. While past two decades you need the uber cold for snow due to rising gobal temps. 

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, you right. I wonder if we go back further, what it would show. Like there must be winters that were uber cold and snowless while "warmer" winters were snowy.....or would it still show the same correlation. What I am getting at is, the too cold for snow theory many decades ago so moderation was better. While past two decades you need the uber cold for snow due to rising gobal temps. 

The last below average temp winter in SNE that had below average snow in the region was 2003-2004...though not all of the region was below average for snow...down south it was definitely above average, but for a lot of MA it was below average. It's easier to get a cold and below average snow winter the further north you go in New England.

Before that, you have to go back to probably 1989-1990. 1988-1989 was actually pretty close, but it was more average temps than below average. 1985-1986 was cold and bad for snow, 1984-1985 was slightly below average temps and putrid snowfall and then the king of cold/snowless winters was 1980-1981....this was despite a brutally warm February week not too dissimilar to last week. The winter overall though was cold and awful for snow. You can see where the theme of cold, cutter, cold, snowless comes from in the decade of the 1980s that we refer to frequently. You can extend it to 1978-1979 too.

Interestingly, before that, you had to go pretty far back to get more cold/snowless years...1962-1963 was fairly poor along the coast but very cold (however, it was pretty normal for snowfall in the interior). Then the next set of snowless winters actually occurred during the very warm early to mid 1950s winters...a stretch that was really bad and rivaled some of our more modern warm and snowless winters. But cold and snowless has seemed to be reserved mostly for the 1980s decade...with a couple of exceptions.

In NNE it was and remains a lot more common to have a cold/low snow winter.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The last below average temp winter in SNE that had below average snow in the region was 2003-2004...though not all of the region was below average for snow...down south it was definitely above average, but for a lot of MA it was below average. It's easier to get a cold and below average snow winter the further north you go in New England.

Before that, you have to go back to probably 1989-1990. 1988-1989 was actually pretty close, but it was more average temps than below average. 1985-1986 was cold and bad for snow, 1984-1985 was slightly below average temps and putrid snowfall and then the king of cold/snowless winters was 1980-1981....this was despite a brutally warm February week not too dissimilar to last week. The winter overall though was cold and awful for snow. You can see where the theme of cold, cutter, cold, snowless comes from in the decade of the 1980s that we refer to frequently. You can extend it to 1978-1979 too.

Interestingly, before that, you had to go pretty far back to get more cold/snowless years...1962-1963 was fairly poor along the coast but very cold (however, it was pretty normal for snowfall in the interior). Then the next set of snowless winters actually occurred during the very warm early to mid 1950s winters...a stretch that was really bad and rivaled some of our more modern warm and snowless winters. But cold and snowless has seemed to be reserved mostly for the 1980s decade...with a couple of exceptions.

In NNE it was and remains a lot more common to have a cold/low snow winter.

Now you've done it, PF is going to come crashing in here from the slopes to violently agree with you!

42 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Boston Met Winter snow and temps from 1891

Untitled.png

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Now you've done it, PF is going to come crashing in here from the slopes to violently agree with you!

Lol...yeah. Doesn't mean you should fear the cold though. It is still easier to get a warm/low snow winter up there than a cold/low snow. Part of that has to due with the fact that warm patterns can be dry with zonal flow. Luckily, in a year like this year, the flow wasn't too zonal, so we remained fairly active despite above normal temps. Can't say the same for last year or 2011-2012.

But all else equal, most of us prefer an active/above normal precip regime first, and worry about temps second...except maybe in far southern areas.

16 hours ago, Dan76 said:

Way way too many things to go wrong for me. (Ski comes off just before hitting ice etc...)

The kids that did this were caught and fined $500 they did a GoFundMe page and raised  the $500 within half an hour to be reimbursed. Stupid thing to do but they had wetsuits and spotters on both sides. Up here in the local area most everyone seems to be supporting this stunt. I guess I'm getting old pretty deadly thing to do.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

In theory, what is the difference between an idiot going 85 on the highway, loses control and crashes into the Tolland trees off I84 vs someone who goes the speed limit and does the same thing? One is breaking the law while the other is not, yet the end result is the same...do we "wish we didnt have to save" the speedster? Does the law abiding citizen deserve to be saved more? 

My point is, its not a perfect world so people need to get off their high horse where we pick and chose who is worthy. Helicpoter rescues happen when rock climbers or hikers slip up and fall or whatever. Or extreme skiiers in avalanche prone areas of the world. Half the people will say "they shouldnt have been there in the first place", so do we not rescue them? 

If someone is doing something illegal, we chase them down, if need be we rescue them, then we slap the handcuffs on and throw them in the slammer, if they live. Thats reality and its always been that way. 

I suppose you are right.       I know in the ski/hiking rescue world, many agencies are now issuing stiff fines, etc. for going out of bounds and getting in trouble.

If a first responder gets hurt/killed trying to save someone who is an idiot, it kinda sucks.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I suppose you are right.       I know in the ski/hiking rescue world, many agencies are now issuing stiff fines, etc. for going out of bounds and getting in trouble.

If a first responder gets hurt/killed trying to save someone who is an idiot, it kinda sucks.

Face it most rescues are the result of idiots in some form.

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The kids that did this were caught and fined $500 they did a GoFundMe page and raised  the $500 within half an hour to be reimbursed. Stupid thing to do but they had wetsuits and spotters on both sides. Up here in the local area most everyone seems to be supporting this stunt. I guess I'm getting old pretty deadly thing to do.

Live free or die, amiright? 

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If you are going to engage in risky, illegal activity then be prepared to bear the financial burden that comes with it. And not start a GoFundMe page. If you do it and get caught (because you posted the video online), pay the fine.

Just came across an email discussion about the warmth last Friday. Bosart attached a backwards trajectory showing that air originated at 6000 m NE of Hawai'i ended up moving east, descending over the Rockies, and descending again over the Appalachians before arriving in our neck of the woods. 

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just came across an email discussion about the warmth last Friday. Bosart attached a backwards trajectory showing that air originated at 6000 m NE of Hawai'i ended up moving east, descending over the Rockies, and descending again over the Appalachians before arriving in our neck of the woods. 

I think they call that modified Pacific air - haha

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

A lot of Kalua pork and maitai exhaust in that air mass.

seriously though... I was watching one of those GW histrionic science shows the other night and it was discussing how NASA, in conjunction with University scientist/grad students, do air sampling between Seattle and Anchorage as part of an ongoing study about atmospheric chemistry and etc etc. 

Places like that are about as homogenized as the atmosphere on the planet is going to be, and they found startlingly large aerosols residences that are purely attributable to human activity ....

.... OVER ASIA... 

Man, that's one helluva long ass distance to have to pick up the smell of a fart...  

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I agree, thats horrible and certainly understand that thought process. I am by no means saying "they signed up for it so they asked for it." No way. My good friends brother is an EMT in Trenton/Camden NJ. The stories he has in the tough neighborhoods is unreal but...the one thing he is steadfrst on and what they are trained for is, they are there to save lives and not be the judge jury or executioner of a bad person or a good person having a bad day.

And yes, I agree with stiff fines and the consequences for being an idiot. 

26 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

? I thought I saw a hysplit originating in the Yucatan

Archived