joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Feb. I mean it obviously couldn't last like this.

I've noticed that dews seem to take a jump up in the spring once green out starts occurring. Obviously it must be a transpiration effect. I wonder if the early green out well to our south plays any role in the coming weeks. Juicier southern stream systems? Stronger warmups when we ridge? Heavier drizzle when we backdoor in April for a week straight? :axe:

We had early leafouts in 2010 and 2012 and ended up with warm springs. It's too bad we couldn't have timed this stretch a month from now. It's a bit of a waste this time of year.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Steady -RADZ and FG all morning. Bouncing between low and upper 40s now depending on the amount of mixing. At least the driveway melted out.

Wild temperature swings within small areas of elevation.  9am at my house 53F with brisk South wind.  Drive down 600 feet in elevation its pea soup fog and 38F. 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So CON and BTV have set all-time records with long climate records back into the 1800s.  Impressive air mass.  BTV could beat their new all-time record tomorrow if the sun comes out.  Top 2 highs of 140 years in February within a couple days.

Kind of like March 2012 in Farmington, which included their 3 warmest March days in 124 years record, also #5.

Mildest for March:
22/2012:   83  Tied with 3/20/1903 for highest mean - 83/36 and 79/40.  Given the earlier date and colder norms, 1903 was much the greater departure.
21/2012:   82
20/2012:   80
20/1903:   79  For one day, the 2 mildest temps were both on the 20th, 109 years apart.
18/2012:   78

After these, there's a 77 and a couple 74s.

10 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Skies clearing. Torch commence. We make another run to 70. Three days consecutively in SNH at/near 70. Now that's frickin impressive (maybe even unprecedented since records began?) for February.

CON has never hit 70F in Feb so I'd say unprecedented fits.

Hanging in the upper 30s, though the fog is going and skies are brightening.  Yesterday's 54 was my warmest in 19 Februarys and the day's mean was normal for April 16.  Snowpack sliding under 30" as we speak.  I'm hoping not to lose too much more, so when it hardens next weekend I can don the snowshoes and use the elevation to prune the apple trees.  Today I'd probably punch down a foot thru the soft pack.

Archived