Welcome to American Weather
ORH_wxman

Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

3,079 posts in this topic

Just now, tamarack said:

The max temps in forested areas are often significantly affected by transpirational cooling - my place for example.  Last summer's tops was 88, and I've not hit 90 since June 2005.  That's why the co-op instruments are supposed to be sufficiently distant from heavy duty forest to avoid that effect.  It's real, for those living in it, just like the higher dews in such places, but not representative of the airmass as a whole.

I could give you a kiss right now. 

Anyone want to meet me at Fenway Park gate c, or a game or two this summer?  First open game is for April 26th at 710pm we need to arrive at 430pm for Red Sox batting practice.

4 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Anyone want to meet me at Fenway Park gate c, or a game or two this summer?  First open game is for April 26th at 710pm we need to arrive at 430pm for Red Sox batting practice.

430?! Can we wear our gloves, stand by the dugout, and scream for autographs in a Boston accent?

11 hours ago, nzucker said:

And these Fishing&Game fines have gotten out of control. My dad got fined $75 for not having a lifejacket in his ROWBOAT on a mid-summer, calm day in a small lake in PA. He swims across the lake every summer. These "outdoors" fines are just a money grab and not a legitimate way to promote safety. Also, using YouTube is highly inappropriate and would be doubtful tactics in a court of law.

The first two paragraphs (which I deleted only for space reasons) are reasonable, but you lost me with this one, especially the broad-brush slam that I bolded.  Tell that to the warden who just had to notify the family of the non-lifejacketed guy he helped fish out of the lake.  Maine has a dozen or more boating fatalities from drowning each year, and it's very rare when a victim has a lifejacket. 

If that warden who fined your father knew him and his swimming ability, a warning would've seemed more appropriate, but one shouldn't expect every warden to know that.  Not sure what PA law is, but in Maine one must have a PFD in the boat, and for kids 10 and under on larger boats, it must be worn.  Just tossing one in the boat should not be that difficult, and if that calm day turns into a surprise squall, it's a nice thing to have handy.  In 60+ years of boating (longer, but solo required a swim-across-the-60-acre-lake to qualify) I've never unintentionally capsized a watercraft, but there's always a first time. 

How is a B- disappointing?  C- may be disappointing.

See my back yard for 2014-15, which I gave a B- despite 125% average snowfall, the Jan 27-28 blizzard, and the first 10"+ Nov storm of my experience.  As a poet once said, "Of all sad words of tongue or pen, these are the saddest, 'it might have been.'"  A winter that 4 times had events verifying at less than 15% of the low end of forecast range is unlikely to earn a good grade.  Think of the kid who gets a nice crisp $20 bill at Christmas, then watches all the siblings get Benjamins.

14 hours ago, nzucker said:

I don't think there should be a fine if the people involved demonstrated the necessary precautions: spotters, a modified sled, wet suits, etc. Not to mention it's been like 70F lately so the threat of hypothermia is greatly reduced from a normal winter. What they did was probably no more risky than some of the ski runs attempted out west (heliskiing, snowcat, etc); it was probably no more risky than drinking and smoking cigarettes every day...and yet we don't criminalize those behaviors. 

I don't take issue with GoFundMe, either. If the community as a whole believes the activity was reasonably safe and conducted with a modicum of precaution, why shouldn't they pay the fine for those that did the stunt? NNE has always been a place for outdoorsmanship, extreme sports, challenge against the elements, etc...people respect that.

And these Fishing&Game fines have gotten out of control. My dad got fined $75 for not having a lifejacket in his ROWBOAT on a mid-summer, calm day in a small lake in PA. He swims across the lake every summer. These "outdoors" fines are just a money grab and not a legitimate way to promote safety. Also, using YouTube is highly inappropriate and would be doubtful tactics in a court of law.

They should be fined because they broke the law. If I'm driving Jeff Gordon's car down 95, wearing my fire suit and restraints, and I'm clocked at 150, I should get a fine too. 

jeff-gordon-crash-628x353.jpg

And I should just start GoFundMe pages for traffic tickets, late credit card payments, etc. Why be responsible for anything I do?

And Tamarack covered it, but for these fish & game officers that have to do the ugly work of recovering casualties it's not out of control. In the end these laws are in place to protect people from doing dangerous things, but it's convenient to say they are just a money grab so you can continue to do what you want. I have a coworker who insists that texting and driving is not inherently dangerous and no more so than changing the radio station, and he shouldn't be punished (he has multiple tickets for using a cellphone while driving) until he causes an accident while doing so.

Re: the sled skimming. I think that's great - get after it!  Would I do it now, no - maybe when I was younger.  I do think that they should pay a fine if they need to be rescued for breaking the law and unnecessarily risk first responder lives, but also don't think F&G should waste time and money after the fact trying to hunt these folks down just to fine them. If they catch them on the spot, fine, they lost and should have to pay the fine.  And if they can get funding via gofundme to pay the fine, good for them/who cares?! Blame the folks funding the gofundme page...

16 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

but also don't think F&G should waste time and money after the fact trying to hunt these folks down just to fine them.

I'd be surprised if a quarter of a percent of the people that skim ever hear from F&G.  I mean, there are plenty of places on the lake where skimming is required to get on/off the ice because of all the aquatherms used to protect docks.  

All the media attention these guys got basically forced F&G to act. Just no way they could ignore making such a spectacle out of breaking the law.

I'm bummed I'm going to be in Boston during the strongest of the winds.  If we realize the progged 55mph gusts, I know of at least one (very large) 220 year-old maple that is apt to come down.  It's main two branches (I forget what those are called) are each probably close to 18-24" in diameter, larger than most tree trunks.

21 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm bummed I'm going to be in Boston during the strongest of the winds.  If we realize the progged 55mph gusts, I know of at least one (very large) 220 year-old maple that is apt to come down.  It's main two branches (I forget what those are called) are each probably close to 18-24" in diameter, larger than most tree trunks.

You've cut down an entire forest ,forever warming your local climate. Why not Paul Bunyan that one too?

Andover , Maine  went from 79" to 30" in less than 10 days. That has to be some type of record. 

And Dryslot stopped posting 

That's so weird, was just going to ask where Jeff is. Isn't posting on Maine snowmobile site either. Hope everything is OK. Maybe he's on an island enjoying some vacation.

10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

That's so weird, was just going to ask where Jeff is. Isn't posting on Maine snowmobile site either. Hope everything is OK. Maybe he's on an island enjoying some vacation.

Isle of Shoals? 

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I believe that he's a moderator on SKIMRG's frigid franks board but I've been unable to access said board lately.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Jeffs fine just talked to him, been super busy

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Andover , Maine  went from 79" to 30" in less than 10 days. That has to be some type of record. 

In 1984, living in N. Maine, I saw our snowpack drop from 59" to 35" in two late February weeks.  On March 14 it was up to 65", tallest my snow stake has ever seen.  We can dream...

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nah, was up there last wknd and the snowbanks did not suggest 79" otg;)