Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Facts something you toss with regularity, better throw away those long term COOPS records 

Those coops can easily have issues with temps and you know this. Run a MADIS test on them.  The fact that they are surrounded by stations that had temps much higher and at a much higher elevation, does not pass the sniff test. Even GON had more 90 days. C'mon man.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Actually, I never hit 90 in August...July had some hot days.

If it was hot in EMA it was 90's plus for all. I keep records, 2 here, 2 at the Coop across the state line, 3 across the state near Kevin. It's the opposite of if it didn't snow in EMA it didn't snow anywhere.  Multiple 88s and 89s but I don't just lie or throw up numbers. Sorry 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Those coops can easily have issues with temps and you know this. Run a MADIS test on them.  The fact that they are surrounded by stations that had temps much higher and at a much higher elevation, does not pass the sniff test. Even GON had more 90 days. C'mon man.

You obviously don't know the climo of forested areas. Both COOPS,my records, and many others if you bothered doing some research will verify. You do a MADIS check and while you are at it figure out why GON had so many 90s last year 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

You obviously don't know the climo of forested areas. Both COOPS,my records, and many others if you bothered doing some research will verify. You do a MADIS check and while you are at it figure out why GON had some many 90s last year 

I know forested areas, but unless those stations are under a canopy of bamboo where sunlight cannot penetrate...they still should not be that much cooler than a place like ORH at 1,000ft. I get the mesoscale aspects, but this is like Kevin claiming his Davis near a water soaked mulch bed represents dew points accurately. 

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

You bring up a good point about fearing calling for rescue because of a "rescue penalty" or whatever it may be, which is why I'm not in favor of that sort of thing. But if you broke the law and got yourself into trouble, then I surely have no problem with you paying a fine as a result of getting caught. 

For the NH LEOs who have to patrol those lakes in the winter, finding YouTube video of a violation is really no different than seeing it themselves, except the lawbreaker was dumb enough to put it on the internet. I do fine the GoFundMe page particularly irritating. I mean if you were so prepared for the stunt, then be prepared for the fine too. Don't make some other person pay for it because you don't want to. 

Get off my lawn! :oldman:

I don't think there should be a fine if the people involved demonstrated the necessary precautions: spotters, a modified sled, wet suits, etc. Not to mention it's been like 70F lately so the threat of hypothermia is greatly reduced from a normal winter. What they did was probably no more risky than some of the ski runs attempted out west (heliskiing, snowcat, etc); it was probably no more risky than drinking and smoking cigarettes every day...and yet we don't criminalize those behaviors. 

I don't take issue with GoFundMe, either. If the community as a whole believes the activity was reasonably safe and conducted with a modicum of precaution, why shouldn't they pay the fine for those that did the stunt? NNE has always been a place for outdoorsmanship, extreme sports, challenge against the elements, etc...people respect that.

And these Fishing&Game fines have gotten out of control. My dad got fined $75 for not having a lifejacket in his ROWBOAT on a mid-summer, calm day in a small lake in PA. He swims across the lake every summer. These "outdoors" fines are just a money grab and not a legitimate way to promote safety. Also, using YouTube is highly inappropriate and would be doubtful tactics in a court of law.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am taking the summer off from here unless severe or canes pop up.Enjoy the new drought talk too. 

You will be here and you will like it.

But back to the debate...OK, say you did have two days. You know that your COOP is an outlierregion wide and that everyone else had a nice 6-8 week torch in the heart of summer. Why say it was "meh" for heat then? It's like MRG saying 01-02 was a great winter or something when he knows only his location was piling up snowfall.

Archived