• Created
  • Last Reply
Impressive damage out in Montgomery NY. 

NWUS51 KOKX 260259
LSROKX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
959 PM EST SAT FEB 25 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0544 PM     TSTM WND DMG     MONTGOMERY              41.52N  74.24W
02/25/2017                   ORANGE             NY   FAA OBSERVER

2 PLANES BLOWN ONTO 3RD PLANE. HANGAR CORRUGATED ROOF
            RIPPED OFF

25 17:54 NW 30 G 47 1.00 Heavy Rain Fog/Mist and Windy FEW024 BKN039 OVC095 50 46     86% 42 NA 29.49 998.7 0.26    

Does anyone know what exactly is "plotted" on stream function re-analysis?  I've tried to read and I guess it has to do with geostrophic equilibrium.  As an example, I posted this which was during the strong EL Nino of 1997-1998.  For La Nina's we see opposite shadings.  

What exactly is this depicting and what importance does it hold?  

F287977B-504B-4340-9605-5DD76A0F2C18_zps

6 hours ago, Hoth said:

RIP Bill Paxton. Loved him in "Twister," but even more so in "Apollo 13."

It sucked...  I remember that guy back to "Weird Science" in the early 1980s.  He played, "Chet," the irrepressible elder brother, at long last transformed into an equally irrepressible, big pile of gurgling, fetid poop, by Kelly LeBrock's character... 

Anyway, cheers to years of being off and on in our cinematic panorama, yet seemingly as a supporting character ...ever indispensable.

I was reflecting on this loss this afternoon ... but not just him.  It's been a star-studded couple of years for the grim reaper.   Unusually large numbers of casualties, at unusually young ages.  It's bad but...somehow, given the present day zeitgeist, it just seems worse.

It's worse because we are already steeped in an apparent dystopian societal cataclysm, when a misogynistic braggart could ever rise to power, replete with fascist ...if not, outright totalitarian attempts in the greatest public office perhaps known to Humanity - it's a daunting, terrifying prospect, that too few are either aware, respect, or worse of all, even covet. 

To do so, by any civilization, and knowing that we who are in better valor, must share kinship with that same population/culture?

Now is not the time to lose our brethren and heritages, and that is exactly what these icons, slipping from our proverbial grasp accomplishes doing: We are orphaned by the decay of reason, left that much more alone against a seemingly intractable enemy.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Here is a local news piece on the Conway damage.  There is a link to picture slide show halfway down. Impressive.

Thankfully that cell missed here by about 5 miles. 

http://www.westernmassnews.com/story/34607990/state-of-emergency-declared-in-conway

They said NWS was sending a team out to investigate. 

Pretty wild.....It was a crazy 45 minutes or so of wind here.  Obviously nothing like that.

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's worse because we are already steeped in an apparent dystopian societal cataclysm, when a misogynistic braggart could ever rise to power, replete with fascist ...if not, outright totalitarian attempts in the greatest public office perhaps known to Humanity - it's a daunting, terrifying prospect, that too few are either aware, respect, or worse of all, even covet. 

To do so, by any civilization, and knowing that we who are in better valor, must share kinship with that same population/culture?

Now is not the time to lose our brethren and heritages, and that is exactly what these icons, slipping from our proverbial grasp accomplishes doing: We are orphaned by the decay of reason, left that much more alone against a seemingly intractable enemy.

It is an awful situation. I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand the social forces that brought us here, except perhaps that the contempt for so-called "establishment" politicians was so extreme the People preferred to elect any outsider, regardless of bonafides, over the modern embodiment of the "corrupt" Establishment in Mrs. Clinton. But I would remind you that our Founding Fathers had a deep and abiding suspicion of arbitrary executive power (for good reason) and put ample provision in the Constitution for removing a president for high crimes or for being non compus mentus. Our military, although led by a civilian president, swears to defend the Constitution, not personal loyalty to the person of the president (as is typical of monarchies and banana republics). Our courts have a long history of constraining presidents when they exceed their mandate. If anything, I see this administration as a test of our republican values; I'm fairly confident we'll weather it. We have indefeasible rights that no one can deny us. Our brand equity may take a vicious drubbing for a while; there will likely be some discord. 

Of course, I suppose things could go majorly t*&s up, in which case it's worth remembering that over the long run, whether speaking of individuals or species, survivability goes to zero. Can't beat entropy. Whether it's nukes, pandemic, AI, gene manipulation gone wrong, climate change, CMEs, asteroids, or super volcanoes that undo us ( heck, even if we beat the odds until the sun dies and consumes the earth in a billion years), entropy will ultimately be maximized. The fate of the universe is dark, cold, empty and lifeless. So, let us just accept our station as a passing anomaly and be thankful that some incredible miracle allowed us to be here at all and to develop sufficient intelligence to contemplate our utter utter insignificance.

8 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Not sure how people in the storm chaser group can just classify a microburst from looking at those pics lol

Based on what I had looked at early on from radar, I just figured straight line winds.

once I saw those scans I thought a TOR was possible.

I mean, who would figure a tornado in Mass in Feb?

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It sucked...  I remember that guy back to "Weird Science" in the early 1980s.  He played, "Chet," the irrepressible elder brother, at long last transformed into an equally irrepressible, big pile of gurgling, fetid poop, by Kelly LeBrock's character... 

Anyway, cheers to years of being off and on in our cinematic panorama, yet seemingly as a supporting character ...ever indispensable.

I was reflecting on this loss this afternoon ... but not just him.  It's been a star-studded couple of years for the grim reaper.   Unusually large numbers of casualties, at unusually young ages.  It's bad but...somehow, given the present day zeitgeist, it just seems worse.

Politics aside, the number of celebs that have died in the last couple of years is probably no more nor less than in years past.   Maybe there are just more celebrities in our group consciousness since media has been thrusting itself more and more into our lives over th last 50 years or so

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Politics aside, the number of celebs that have died in the last couple of years is probably no more nor less than in years past.   Maybe there are just more celebrities in our group consciousness since media has been thrusting itself more and more into our lives over th last 50 years or so

His hyperbole is off the hook. Good post

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Why are you explaining this to us...or me ? 

That was a commiseration sentiment written specifically for a particular cause and has, it had zippo anything to do with anything else. It was an emotive offering to that cause - I suspect more 'critical' capable readers understood that delivery and intent. 

Even if the numbers are the same ...which could be vetted... the sentiment doesn't change.

Tip:  "Unusually large numbers of casualties, at unusually young ages"
Dave: "The number of celebs that have died in the last couple of years is probably no more nor less than in years past."
Tip: "I never said anything 'numbers of celebrity deaths' related."
< Tip edits post to remove that line. >
< Tip leaves in sleazy part questioning Hubb's reading comprehension. >

Good stuff.

Hey guys.   Any bird experts.   Bluebirds arrived up here in our apple orchards this AM.   I just counted 5.   Never seen them this early.  Cold wave the end of this week with night  temps in the teens or perhaps single numbers.   Will bluebirds even survive with temps so low?   At least the pasture is mostly cleared of snow.   Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Tip:  "Unusually large numbers of casualties, at unusually young ages"
Dave: "The number of celebs that have died in the last couple of years is probably no more nor less than in years past."
Tip: "I never said anything 'numbers of celebrity deaths' related."
< Tip edits post to remove that line. >
< Tip leaves in sleazy part questioning Hubb's reading comprehension. >

Good stuff.

I removed that out of deference to him...

Also, the sentiment doesn't change.  The fact that I'm being attacked for that speaks volumes about the face-less provincial, petty a-holes the frequent this forum.  

Besides, I've recently looked that up and there has been an rise in celebrity deaths in the last 2 years.  anyway.  It's just that the headlines of lot of pages/articles out on the general web are confusing the hell out of the subject matter.

Can in point, MIT did a steady.. There title says 2016 did not show an increase, but summarize their findings as:

"...

But when they looked at the mega-famous — the group that made it into an article in 70 languages of Wikipedia — there were 16 deaths, substantially higher than in recent years.

So that answers that. Nobody is allowed to die in 2017. Let’s all work our hardest on that one...."  

If anything that adds to the sentiment that '...now is not the time to lose these figures' - the whole point. 

Good stuff indeed.  

Archived