Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like acurite is coming out with a new high end professional weather station. I have had their 5 in 1 unit and have been pretty impressed with it considering the cost compared to a Davis. Their software/app and online bridge is really awesome as well. I will definitely consider purchasing it when it comes out.

https://www.acurite.com/atlas-environmental-monitoring-solutions?utm_source=acurite&utm_medium=banner-CES-0126&utm_campaign=homepage

atlas-environmental-monitoring-banner-2.jpg

3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Looks like acurite is coming out with a new high end professional weather station. I have had their 5 in 1 unit and have been pretty impressed with it considering the cost compared to a Davis. Their software/app and online bridge is really awesome as well. I will definitely consider purchasing it when it comes out.

https://www.acurite.com/atlas-environmental-monitoring-solutions?utm_source=acurite&utm_medium=banner-CES-0126&utm_campaign=homepage

atlas-environmental-monitoring-banner-2.jpg

They're getting there with their elite model. I'll never be a fan of the all-in-1 units though. The specs are a big upgrade over the 5-in-1...the update interval for most important variables is actually decent although I'd prefer to see the temp and hum update faster than 30s. 

Just now, dendrite said:

They're getting there with their elite model. I'll never be a fan of the all-in-1 units though. The specs are a big upgrade over the 5-in-1...the update interval for most important variables is actually decent although I'd prefer to see the temp and hum update faster than 30s. 

There is no decimal place on their temp readout.  Drives me crazy.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is no decimal place on their temp readout.  Drives me crazy.

I hear ya, but it's not really important to go out to tenths of a degree with an accuracy of +/- 1F. The Davis accuracy has improved to +/- 0.5F across the entire temp range so it makes more sense for them to go out to 0.1F.

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I hear ya, but it's not really important to go out to tenths of a degree with an accuracy of +/- 1F. The Davis accuracy has improved to +/- 0.5F across the entire temp range so it makes more sense for them to go out to 0.1F.

I wouldn't mind getting a low-cost option for Pit-- I assume these could connect to the internet.  I'm eager to see how the winds are there.  Readings from the S-WNW will always read low, but anything from NW-SSE should provide some good reads on bustery days.

With the snowmelt, maybe I can do some yard cleanup and get branches moved for a burn.  So hpapy to have the ground frozen again.  I'm sure the truck will still sink in but hopefully it won't be as bad as it would have been yesterday.

29.2/17, weenie flakes

7 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I wouldn't mind getting a low-cost option for Pit-- I assume these could connect to the internet.  I'm eager to see how the winds are there.  Readings from the S-WNW will always read low, but anything from NW-SSE should provide some good reads on bustery days.

With the snowmelt, maybe I can do some yard cleanup and get branches moved for a burn.  So hpapy to have the ground frozen again.  I'm sure the truck will still sink in but hopefully it won't be as bad as it would have been yesterday.

29.2/17, weenie flakes

Very easy to setup online with their smart hub. You can also connect multiple senors as well. So you could place a temp/humidity sensor in your basement and monitor that.

I have found mine to be pretty solid and weatherunderground consistently gives mine a gold star rating. Not many nearby stations get that.

About Goldstar Stations:
This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days.

24 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Very easy to setup online with their smart hub. You can also connect multiple senors as well. So you could place a temp/humidity sensor in your basement and monitor that.

I have found mine to be pretty solid and weatherunderground consistently gives mine a gold star rating. Not many nearby stations get that.

About Goldstar Stations:
This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days.

Thanks--very helpful.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That new acurite is 2s.

This was form their support forum. So not completely accurate to measure a gust but its pretty close.

The wind speed is actually taken in 4-second windows.  The only reason it can't technically record "gusts" is that the WMO definition is for a 3-second window.

The 5n1 reports the highest speed it has seen (using the 4-second definition) during the last 18 seconds. 

My gusts have been extremely close to other stations on WU including many Davis ones. So while not perfect it does the job on a budget.

I have an accurite 5 in 1...it's a decent little station for the average person. I've discovered it's a 3 season station, or 4 season if you live in a place where it doesn't snow...but, I love the pressure and wind data...and since we have had mainly rain storms, the precip bucket has been fun to watch...cons: snow sticks to the anemometer, no way to measure liquid from snowfall, if it snows hard enough the snow accumulates on the station and buries it.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That new acurite is 2s.

Where are you seeing that?  All the ones I'm seeing have 18 second wind updates.  The temp accuracy looks pretty lacking. +/- 2* seems pretty significant.  I think the Davis is .5*.

I also want to be sure I can link directly into my router as I'm not keeping a computer up there to plug this into.  Do the ones with the smarthub go directly to the router?  I suspect that's the case.

29.3 sn-

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Where are you seeing that?  All the ones I'm seeing have 18 second wind updates.  The temp accuracy looks pretty lacking. +/- 2* seems pretty significant.  I think the Davis is .5*.

I also want to be sure I can link directly into my router as I'm not keeping a computer up there to plug this into.  Do the ones with the smarthub go directly to the router?  I suspect that's the case.

29.3 sn-

https://prodcdn.acurite.com/media/documents/AcuRite-Atlas-Elite-Specifications.pdf

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Are the Atlas models even available yet?  I'm guessing no since I can't find them on their site.  Any idea of cost?

AcuRite Atlas systems will be available later this year on AcuRite.com and Amazon.com. For more information about the Atlas family of environmental monitoring solutions, visit https://www.acurite.com/atlas-environmental-monitoring-solutions

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Are the Atlas models even available yet?  I'm guessing no since I can't find them on their site.  Any idea of cost?

AcuRite Atlas systems will be available later this year on AcuRite.com and Amazon.com. For more information about the Atlas family of environmental monitoring solutions, visit https://www.acurite.com/atlas-environmental-monitoring-solutions

No idea. I just found that clicking through the link @BrianW gave.

Archived