Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What is annoying about outside though is all the rock salt everywhere. I wanted to let my hair down and enjoy my lunch walk but crunched beneath my feet and side steeping the dirt water from a melting pack just didnt feel like the same as a true spring blue bird day. 

yeah, i'm supposed to do a gym session today and I'm like, really - 

but then, going for a run outside now sucks believe it or not, because there is running water everywhere, through dirt and salt kernels. ...  Plus we wanted to do a disk golf in the morning and I don't really want to be all twisted up in old man tightness for that, so i think I'll go the gym and ride the stationary bike.  

but agree... the feel is nice.  It's the application leaves something to be desired.  

Mreaves and Scoot, 

I'm not saying that applies to everyone, evenly.. It's just that for a lot of those that contribute to the tenor on here, there is a morbid sort of let down that is proportionate to snow -

that's abnormal, period.  weather it is immaturety of just a craziness, I don't know, but ...I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt that they just need to grow up and let that go. it's perfectly fine to "prefer" winter over summer.  but that's a different beast entirely - 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JC-CT said:

I bet you are also not a fan of baseball, babies, and America.

Hot and humid sucks.  Baseball is a snooze-fest that I may enjoy one day, watching on t.v. at the old folks home. Babies are useless to me as I am smarter and bigger than they are, and America has it's pluses and minuses.  

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Hot and humid sucks.  Baseball is a snooze-fest that I may enjoy one day, watching on t.v. at the old folks home. Babies are useless to me as I am smarter and bigger than they are, and America has it's pluses and minuses.  

not bad. the babies comment is pretty funny

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

J-E-T-S

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Not sure who I dislike more, the Pats or the Jets.  I thought for sure it was the the Pats but I still get a perverse sense of joy from seeing the Jets implode season after season.

I dont know why that is. I get the Rex era was all talk (two straight afc title games though isnt terrible for the franchise) but why pick on the little engine that could, we dont bother nobody nowadays. Let us enjoy our own misery, doing hulk hogan leg drops on the guy thats been down on the mat for decades now is overkill lol. 

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Not sure who I dislike more, the Pats or the Jets.  I thought for sure it was the the Pats but I still get a perverse sense of joy from seeing the Jets implode season after season.

Was a Jets fan for a relatively short time during the Namath years, in part because my uncle had season tickets which twice allowed my brother and I to attend games at Shea in 1968.  1st one was early Nov against the Boston Patriots in a cold northeast storm.  2nd was the AFC championship, which the Jets won, sending them to SB-3.  Have not attended even a college game since then.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I dont know why that is. I get the Rex era was all talk (two straight afc title games though isnt terrible for the franchise) but why pick on the little engine that could, we dont bother nobody nowadays. Let us enjoy our own misery, doing hulk hogan leg drops on the guy thats been down on the mat for decades now is overkill lol. 

Lol.  I think its because I listen to WFAN quite a bit and the Jets fans are obnoxious, same with Mets fans.  At least as a Braves fan I get the satisfaction of beating the Mets eveen when the Braves suck.  10-9 against them last year!

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Lol.  I think its because I listen to WFAN quite a bit and the Jets fans are obnoxious, same with Mets fans.  At least as a Braves fan I get the satisfaction of beating the Mets eveen when the Braves suck.  10-9 against them last year!

Some Jets fans are obnoxious but they are no worse than Eagles fans lol. 

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

OK, snow hating, crazy neighbor is once again snow blowing snow from the shady part of his yard into the sunny part of his yard. WTF?

He may be the anti-Kevin. 

My late father in law was similar.  His house is a bit of a snow magnet though.  It is partway down a steep hill nestled in a corner with a lot of pine trees all around.  The street is extra wide and the plows build up huge bankings.  He was convinced that water would flood his basement so he would snowblow the entire yard.    Since his passing, the yard doesn't get snowblowed and my mother in law has never had water in the basement 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

OK, snow hating, crazy neighbor is once again snow blowing snow from the shady part of his yard into the sunny part of his yard. WTF?

He may be the anti-Kevin. 

Don't know if it still happens, but when I lived in Ft. Kent the first mild stretch in April would find people blowing their tired old snow piles into the street - couldn't have any of that road glop on their pretty lawns.  It would seem odd to go from dry pavement to 4-6" of melting snow.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Was driving around in Sherborn MA and even on the coastal plain it's amazing how resilient the snow was in fairly protected areas. 70F and snow OTG is a pretty rare sight on the CP. 

image.jpeg

I saw a couple of yards with that as well. Pretty good weenie yards lol.

23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Any brap this wknd? Andover says their trails are soft but decent. Was thinking Sunday, but after rain and another warm day....

No, I'm going to skip this one and go next weekend, Looks like we have a couple chances next week then turns cold next weekend, Definitely foothills north and west look good to ride if not locally but that still in play too.

Saw redwing blackbirds. Normally we look for them in April as a sign it's time to open the summer house. Earliest I've ever seen them. Also, crocuses are blooming and bees have come out of their hive. Beautiful day. 

Finches have really started turning yellow this week. Saw first grackles of the season yesterday.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I think it's equally impressive from a technology point of view that it was so well modeled ... maybe not 70+ on the machine guidance per se, but given climo dimming, shaving panache off the top is understandable. The synoptic supported look has been persistent up to go time ...going back some 8 days really.  wow.  

Now "that" is how you pull off a signal - holy sh*t. 

I remember in college, professor Colby and I were in conjecture once just how sometimes bigger signals/events tend to have early markers in modeling that stick will less distraction that way.  The blizzard of '78, both the one in Cleveland and two weeks later up here along the SNE Coast were both on the charts for days - hard to do with standards back then.  1993, March was on the charts for like 11 days!  1997 April was there for almost a week, though primary in the spread.  While 1992 and 1996 were both on the charts for five days.  I suppose it has to work for heat waves, cold waves too...  The 1995 heat wave in Chicago was a week in the making... 

This warmth period will depend on what tomorrow does... If I can crank a 66+ in partial sun before that fropa, this will rank in my top 3 - probably at # 3 for this sort of absurdity in winter, over this part of eastern Mass.  Number 1 is that ridiculous seemingly interminable warmth of 2006 late Autumn into early Winter before the fabled AO crash that year.  Number 2 is that incredible 2nd week of December 1999, when it was 60+ for 6 days, two of which were 74 and 76. 

Operational shock and awe begins if perhaps in stages tomorrow night and Sunday...  You know, shhhh, don't tell anyone but it's not even totally certain to me that D6 event mid next week doesn't trend cold btw...  heh

Archived