Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not all. I rode the lift with a 82 year old last week. There were a lot of 60 plus folks out there enjoying life.  The exercise snow brings certainly is an added benefit.  Moving it around gets your body moving. Seasons in season's,raking the yard and debris winter brought today

This may come as shock to you but lots of folks who are old and enjoying life don't ski much.  My preference for deep winter is snow shoeing but you need pack but my preference for all seasons is walking and hiking.  82?  I'll be happy to get there.  In 2 weeks I'll have officially outlived my father presuming I make it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I was just looking at my sap cam and I was surprised that the sap appears to be running despite the 70° temps:

https://www.youtube.com/user/balsamwoods/live

Normally it only runs for about 36 hours after freezing but I guess its early enough to stay running. 

Slow and steady. Im hoping my sap makes it til I can boil tomorrow. Tank is shaded and was packed in snow, but these temps are ridiculous

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Slow and steady. Im hoping my sap makes it til I can boil tomorrow. Tank is shaded and was packed in snow, but these temps are ridiculous

That's what I have as well.  Every year I keep thinking of building a chiller for my holding tank but I never get to it.  Thankfully this year I had some good snow cover that I could pile up.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL...hope it didn't hurt too much.  Today is crazy....we will have worse days in June and that isn't an exaggeration. It's beautiful out...but just feels bizarre.

Thats almost a guarantee. Wonder how many highs we can pull lower than today

50.5F  calm, sun about to break out.  I just flew the drone from my 1100 foot takeoff point and seem to hit the wind about 600 feet above me.  Could see the low vis foggy stuff below but great vis above. That seems to be the warm air layer above.  Wish I had a temp probe on it.

Pasture opening up.  Will be first time since late November.  Let the deer get some eating in the next few days, winter looks to come back to NNE.

Untitled.jpg

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

That's what I have as well.  Every year I keep thinking of building a chiller for my holding tank but I never get to it.  Thankfully this year I had some good snow cover that I could pile up.

Yeah I lost a bunch of sap last year during the day we almost hit 80F in early March. More snow and being earlier this year I think will help. What I have was still clear this morning

Just now, dryslot said:

It was not always that way though.

Oh, I know that.  As a lifelong Dolphins fan, I have fond, if increasingly distant memories of the Pats being a punching bag.  This year hurt because my dad had been a Falcons fan from the time of the franchise's inception and with him passing a year ago I was following the Falcons closer than I usually do.

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Oh, I know that.  As a lifelong Dolphins fan, I have fond, if increasingly distant memories of the Pats being a punching bag.  This year hurt because my dad had been a Falcons fan from the time of the franchise's inception and with him passing a year ago I was following the Falcons closer than I usually do.

Sorry to hear about your dad, But i lived thru the dark ages of the 70's and 80's listening to them on the radio because they were blacked out on tv because of lack of sellouts

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Record highs flashing up and down the east coast.

It really is ...surreal for lack of better word, when pitting the sensible feel out side against the calendar date. just wow.   I mean, it SMELLS like summer out there.  Every season has a smell to it... that smells like a typical day out of late may.    

Stands to reason it's 74/51 here at the center of Town... I've seen big warm ups in early April with 84 over 29 temp and dp, but ... 74 with 51 now!?  

sorry that's a oh golly moment -

if trends break right, it's already snowed once if not twice by this time next week - 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Sorry for your loss. My dad passed in 2015 at a young age. It still stings but time and good memories will heal.  

Both the Pats and Fins can suck it, the laughing stock of the AFC east is my team. 

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It really is ...surreal for lack of better word, when pitting the sensible feel out side against the calendar date. just wow.   I mean, it SMELLS like summer out there.  Every season has a smell to it... that smells like a typical day out of late may.    

Stands to reason it's 74/51 here at the center of Town... I've seen big warm ups in early April with 84 over 29 temp and dp, but ... 74 with 51 now!?  

sorry that's a oh golly moment -

if trends break right, it's already snowed once if not twice by this time next week - 

What is annoying about outside though is all the rock salt everywhere. I wanted to let my hair down and enjoy my lunch walk but crunched beneath my feet and side steeping the dirt water from a melting pack just didnt feel like the same as a true spring blue bird day. We lacked a big rainer to wash the crud into the sewers some. 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sorry for your loss. My dad passed in 2015 at a young age. It still stings but time and good memories will heal.  

Both the Pats and Fins can suck it, the laughing stock of the AFC east is my team. 

Just now, dryslot said:

J-E-T-S

Not sure who I dislike more, the Pats or the Jets.  I thought for sure it was the the Pats but I still get a perverse sense of joy from seeing the Jets implode season after season.

Archived