Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This has been meaty snow.  I still have full cover but probably largely gone by tonight.   But full cover after this run of warmth so far speaks to the meat in the pack from that 10 day run.

Pretty amazing durability to this snowpack in many areas especially low lying north sides, which have a lot of snow. Some houses  in my hood still have snow on the roofs, South sides and elevations are torched but its a different look in many areas.

We remember this date very well, incredible night/day of tracking, up all night with our dearly departed friend Messenger and with Eck and Phil as we tracked this basically a tropical storm landfalls. The tide at Boston blew back in that night, we watched it real time. One of the most impressive storms in winter even though the snow we received was primarily back side uLL snow.

https://www.weather.gov/media/erh/ta2013-03.pdf

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

360 videos are the most impressive Tech advance I have seen, watch it on a PC and stop and look around, stunning

That sh.it is awesome.  Amazing stuff right there.  Loved this frame of the buried house.  Does the snow stick around for a long time at that depth, or do they get highs above freezing regularly and does it get depleted rather quickly?  What is the height above sea level? 9,000'?

snow house.jpg

27 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

That sh.it is awesome.  Amazing stuff right there.  Loved this frame of the buried house.  Does the snow stick around for a long time at that depth, or do they get highs above freezing regularly and does it get depleted rather quickly?  What is the height above sea level? 9,000'?

snow house.jpg

7-8 k, most of it is cement probably around until June

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

One can only dream, but wouldn't it be nice to put an end this melt down today. All we need is an 8-12" storm and we'd be back in the game. Then my cat licked my face and I woke up. Days and days of 40F+, RN and singing birds. Depressing.

Unless the GEFS has a clue that is, and PF and the rest of the NNE crew have to be encouraged, lol at NNE rs throwing in the towel Feb 24th, how long have you lived up there?

KLEW_2017022306_gefs_snow_384.png

KMVL_2017022306_gefs_snow_384.png

Unless the GEFS has a clue that is, and PF and the rest of the NNE crew have to be encouraged, lol at NNE rs throwing in the towel Feb 24th, how long have you lived up there?

KLEW_2017022306_gefs_snow_384.png

KMVL_2017022306_gefs_snow_384.png

I get what you're saying but after mid March I usually check out of winter mode. My complaints have more to do with the fairly rapid hault to snowmobiling. Still plenty of riding in some areas but by next week, won't be pretty in most areas sans northern Maine and mtns.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I get what you're saying but after mid March I usually check out of winter mode. My complaints have more to do with the fairly rapid hault to snowmobiling. Still plenty of riding in some areas but by next week, won't be pretty in most areas sans northern Maine and mtns.

Definitely not a pack retention year, you may be pleasantly surprised in March though

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

360 videos are the most impressive Tech advance I have seen, watch it on a PC and stop and look around, stunning

I picked one last fall for our cross country trip to share places with people that couldn't go - mainly my elderly Dad who loves to travel.  I have several on my YouTube channel including my son sledding and am trying to do a couple for the maple season.  I started with a 360 video of tapping in the woods and will do others in the sugarhouse this weekend.  I have lots of plans this summer for that device!

You should think about picking up a set of VR goggles.  You can put your phone in them, play the video and look around.  Awesome stuff!

Temp is climbing fast, up to 51 at home.   Outside chance of 65-70 up here:

Aside from the fog, made a few adjustments to the current
forecast. Mainly on sky and surface temps. Appears the Merrimack
Valley will be the hot spot today with a low chance for upper
60s. Otherwise the bulk of the forecast remains on track for
today.

Sweet.

Its that pack retention thing that Lava Rock noted that is the bugaboo this year.  Personally, I've had an ok year snowmobiling, trailering a little bit and riding from home a little too.  The lack of cold has sucked as well.  Overall, I would give winter a D at this point.  Honestly, regardless of what happens in the next couple of weeks, I cannot see it rising above a C-.  Like Lava Rock, I check out of winter mode around March 15th.  Any big winter after that starts eating into golf season.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

One can only dream, but wouldn't it be nice to put an end this melt down today. All we need is an 8-12" storm and we'd be back in the game. Then my cat licked my face and I woke up. Days and days of 40F+, RN and singing birds. Depressing.

You'd probably like the warm season more if your lawn didn't suck. ;)

Archived