Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

You should see the stuff from Pittsburg NH. Incredible pics.

i took this pic at a campground (Ramblewood) just west of the 1st Conn lake Weds morning. that's a picnic table. there is even more snow up in elevation east of that area, and the hills between Pittsburg and Errol had an amazing amount of snow, I would guess at least 4' pack. they picked up 12-18" up there Sunday night, another couple inches of pure fluff Mon night, and it was snowing like crazy when i left on Weds

Ramblewood Snow.JPG

I want to do a little project (not sure why b/c I'll never have time to finish it) on like Hadley and Walker cell circulations.  I know on the ESRL page you can do like daily and monthly composites.  If I were to try and do reanalysis on those circulations what variables would I look to plot?  Would it be surface pressures, 500mb pressures, and maybe zonal winds? 

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i took this pic at a campground (Ramblewood) just west of the 1st Conn lake Weds morning. that's a picnic table. there is even more snow up in elevation east of that area, and the hills between Pittsburg and Errol had an amazing amount of snow, I would guess at least 4' pack. they picked up 12-18" up there Sunday night, another couple inches of pure fluff Mon night, and it was snowing like crazy when i left on Weds

I should've grabbed some photos of the picnic tables at the Smugglers Notch state park area on RT 108 here in Stowe....you wouldn't even know they are picnic tables with 48" on the ground at 1,500ft.  All that's left is a few lumps in the snow.  Its crazy.

Here's the Vermont snowpack numbers today...wild variations depending on aspect, elevation, area topography, etc.  Highest non-mountain location is 49" in Morgan, VT.  Highest snowpack under 1,000ft elevation is in Johnson, VT with 37" just north of Mansfield. 

Feb_18_depth.png

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I should've grabbed some photos of the picnic tables at the Smugglers Notch state park area on RT 108 here in Stowe....you wouldn't even know they are picnic tables with 48" on the ground at 1,500ft.  All that's left is a few lumps in the snow.  Its crazy.

Here's the Vermont snowpack numbers today...wild variations depending on aspect, elevation, area topography, etc.  Highest non-mountain location is 49" in Morgan, VT.  Highest snowpack under 1,000ft elevation is in Johnson, VT with 37" just north of Mansfield. 

Feb_18_depth.png

Throw 'em up. Picnic tables  too. 

Looking at the 18z GFS around 186 HR I wonder if that's when we see the MJO's influence on the pattern.  PNA, AO, and NAO all support warmth in the east and that's the case leading up to around that period, however, all of a sudden an impressive build of lower heights just develops across Canada down into the US and once the wave influences subside its back into warmth for a bit before looks like a PV split may occur with a piece settling down over us 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Feb_18_depth.png

The difference between valleys and mountains should become further accentuated as the torch melts most of the low elevation snowpack.

Archived