Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

geez 9 inches in last year's mid atlantic bomb...I wonder what my old stomping grounds in Bristol had

when I lived in Bristol, Southington made out better by at least half a foot in the 96 blizzard and a few other more southern tracking events but I also remember a coastal hugger in Feb 1988 that produced 5-6 inches in Southington but ten inches in Bristol

Overall though a very good location in interior ct, both of them really

Bristol had about 5 inches in last years Mid Atlantic Blizzard...once north of them it dropped off to almost nothing.   Yes, Bristol and Southington trade off many times.  Blizzard of 96 was forecast to be south originally, and then at the last minute came up and rocked..but the 5-8 miles difference in latitude in the southern tracking systems(96, 2016 etc) can make a big difference in those types of events.  And then sometimes Bristol will beat us out in certain systems.   Last January's Blizzard(2016) once you went south of Southington the amounts increased dramatically as well, to 16-20 inches down at the coast and into Southwest CT.    

And yes, you are right, both locations are pretty decent in interior CT/Central CT for a variety of snow events.  Can't really complain.

6 hours ago, NorEaster17 said:

Normal February snowfall total to date for Hartford is 6.9". They have 22.6". (over 200% above normal)
10th snowiest February at that location (BDL) since 1949.

Normal snowfall total for Bridgeport is 4.5". They have 12.8"

This month now ranks 5th for snowfall since I moved to Maine 44 years ago, and it won't take much for a 3rd-place finish.  Below are all the months with 40"+ (This past Dec had 39.9".)

61.5"  Dec 1976   Fort Kent
55.5"  Mar 2001   New Sharon
49.3"  Jan 1987   Gardiner
47.3"  Dec 1978   Fort Kent
46.9"  Feb 2017   New Sharon
46.5"  Feb 2008   New Sharon
46.2"  Dec 2007   New Sharon
46.1"  Dec 1981   Fort Kent
44.9"  Feb 1993   Gardiner
44.8"  Dec 1983   Fort Kent
43.2"  Dec 1995   Gardiner

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sitting at the Kancamangus with a cold brew admiring it all

Awesome man!  Enjoy it.

I know you've been mentioning 1969 lately so thought you'd find this interesting... Mansfield is now #2 highest snow depth for this date, second only to February 1969.   I've measured 86" of snowfall at 3,000ft in the first 17 days of this month.

16797814_10208612804299872_3717246583214

So I'm out in the driveway changing wiper blades on my van. Won't take too long, nothing to it, I think. Except I got those universal blades that will fit anything, but you have to figure out all the little attachments and read the instructions and stuff.

The van is pretty close to the garage. It's 37 degrees and the sun is bright. I had just figured out what I need to do to get the new blades on.

Then it happened, the 6 inch depth of snow on the solar panels avalanches right on me.  I was not pleased.

I shrugged it off and finished changing the blades. Note to self, pull the van away from garage next time, or play dumb and have the guy at the auto parts store change them. 

7 minutes ago, mjd_tech said:

So I'm out in the driveway changing wiper blades on my van. Won't take too long, nothing to it, I think. Except I got those universal blades that will fit anything, but you have to figure out all the little attachments and read the instructions and stuff.

The van is pretty close to the garage. It's 37 degrees and the sun is bright. I had just figured out what I need to do to get the new blades on.

Then it happened, the 6 inch depth of snow on the solar panels avalanches right on me.  I was not pleased.

I shrugged it off and finished changing the blades. Note to self, pull the van away from garage next time, or play dumb and have the guy at the auto parts store change them. 

Always keep an avalanche survival kit on you. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome man!  Enjoy it.

I know you've been mentioning 1969 lately so thought you'd find this interesting... Mansfield is now #2 highest snow depth for this date, second only to February 1969.   I've measured 86" of snowfall at 3,000ft in the first 17 days of this month.

16797814_10208612804299872_3717246583214

Yes it was that type of pattern 

8 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Anybody know if this link is down for good? http://www.pdfamily.com/weather/mesomap.htm

It would suck if it is because it was a great site to get an overview of the meso/microscale nuances of temperatures in SNE.

Looks like it.

The data came from WU, and https://www.wunderground.com/fullscreenweather is a good replacement.

Archived