Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

lolz.  What did you do/ say to get the tag?  I missed it.

lol. Dating yourself with that one, but I remember it well.

Pretty sure I was bantering in the model discussion thread and then a mod said he should just issue a weenie tag and then I said I didn't care cuz I was a weenie and then I had a weenie tag......

TBH I didn't even know what it meant.....

5 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Pretty sure I was bantering in the model discussion thread and then a mod said he should just issue a weenie tag and then I said I didn't care cuz I was a weenie and then I had a weenie tag......

TBH I didn't even know what it meant.....

It's better than a BANNED tag at least.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Is there any indication March and winter in general is going to end abruptly or do we ride out the next 6 weeks or so with avg temps and precip?

No real indication yet. Although I will say the pattern looks like it could favor the Plains again...but too early to tell. No blocking means cutter risk.

Burlington has had snow falling every single day this month so far. 

February 2017 snowfall totals..

Burlington, VT 32.0" is 6th snowiest February on record since 1892.

Portland, Maine with 39.9" having their 8th snowiest February on record since 1882.

Bangor Maine 37.4" is 5th snowiest February on record since 1927

Mt Washington, NH 68.3" is 6th snowiest February on record since 1948

Here's Burlington's Data:

Also can find a calendar view of it here. (Cool to see which days its rained or snowed the most)

jSt4bqx.jpg

Normal February snowfall total to date for Hartford is 6.9". They have 22.6". (over 200% above normal)
10th snowiest February at that location (BDL) since 1949.

Normal snowfall total for Bridgeport is 4.5". They have 12.8"

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=box

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=okx

lgq3Qpr.jpg

gAPe5tK.jpg

CT, while being a small state, has quite a few Micro-climates within it's borders.   My area seems to be in a decent spot in that we tend to do well with both Miller A's and Miller B's. While I'm considered Western CT, I'm not that far west of the River, but still far enough away to not be in that Death Valley shadow either.  Miller B's might be even a lil more prolific though...but we've done quite decently in Miller A's also.   While my town does sit in a valley for the most part, it's an elevated valley where the lowest spots are still 200ft above sea level, and the higher spots in town are 400-600 ft.  We do well in SWFE too.  And I'm plenty far enough away from the shore so as not to get in on a lot of their Taint, but storms that graze south many times will hit us with something(Jan 2016, the Mid Atlantic Blizzard, we picked up about 9 inches..while places just north of here had 1-2 inches.)   However if it's an elevation dependent set up that's where that hurts my town.

2 hours ago, NorEaster17 said:

Normal February snowfall total to date for Hartford is 6.9". They have 22.6". (over 200% above normal)
10th snowiest February at that location (BDL) since 1949.

Normal snowfall total for Bridgeport is 4.5". They have 12.8"

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=box

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=okx

lgq3Qpr.jpg

gAPe5tK.jpg

BDR averages more than 4.5" in February. NYC gets almost 10" in February on average.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What at your thoughts for Feb 26- Mor. 15th?

Def looks like a return to more favorable pattern...but as usual, be leery of the cutter because we won't have any blocking on the Atlantic side...though if the AO tries to go more negative up near the pole, then that will help some and the Euro is trying to hint at that.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

CT, while being a small state, has quite a few Micro-climates within it's borders.   My area seems to be in a decent spot in that we tend to do well with both Miller A's and Miller B's. While I'm considered Western CT, I'm not that far west of the River, but still far enough away to not be in that Death Valley shadow either.  Miller B's might be even a lil more prolific though...but we've done quite decently in Miller A's also.   While my town does sit in a valley for the most part, it's an elevated valley where the lowest spots are still 200ft above sea level, and the higher spots in town are 400-600 ft.  We do well in SWFE too.  And I'm plenty far enough away from the shore so as not to get in on a lot of their Taint, but storms that graze south many times will hit us with something(Jan 2016, the Mid Atlantic Blizzard, we picked up about 9 inches..while places just north of here had 1-2 inches.)   However if it's an elevation dependent set up that's where that hurts my town.

Yea, true about Southington.

The wife and I will be house hunting this spring, we have to move east a bit to be closer to her mom in WeHa, she likes Southington, but I am pointing her up the map into true weenieville haha. 

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

geez 9 inches in last year's mid atlantic bomb...I wonder what my old stomping grounds in Bristol had

when I lived in Bristol, Southington made out better by at least half a foot in the 96 blizzard and a few other more southern tracking events but I also remember a coastal hugger in Feb 1988 that produced 5-6 inches in Southington but ten inches in Bristol

Overall though a very good location in interior ct, both of them really

Archived