Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Here's a good example of why fantasy range is fantasy range. 

GFS 21.06z run valid at 324 hours (03.18z)

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_47.png

Then the 03.12z GFS valid at 6 hours

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_1.png

Oh, what could have been.

Looks like it got it right out on the pacific NW... Completely wrong out here.

In other news, I did a casual check of the weather and got this. Not sure what google uses to calculate its forecast. Probably the snowiest week forecast I've seen since moving to Boston Fall '15

WgnuXil.png

So we just got a new GMC Acadia and I was just playing with the infotainment system and discovered that it has a radar feed and Weather.com. I realize that the Weather channel is passé around here but I think it's ****ing awesome that I can be driving down the road with that on the screen. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The Bermuda Triangle strikes again

MVA U/D: Media partners please share alternative routes of travel for morning rush hour that are highlighted in blue. 84 EB is closed 67-68

C4iAtx1WcAAGWlV.jpg

lol. Guy I work with who lives in Tolland just mentioned "Bermuda Triangle" in reference to that ****ty, accident prone portion of the highway.  

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nice pics Brian

Just saw on Twitter from BOX that so far this winter is #12 at PVD and #13 at ORH for snowfall

I was surprised at that 

This winter is #13 for snowfall at ORH? That's not even possible given they are still about 10" below their mean. 

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Several accidents per week. Don't ever drive thru there . It's well documented higher powers control it

We travel that route 4-5 times a year, and only once encountered trouble in that stretch.  In May 2000 we were northbound and parked for 2 hours due to a terrible accident involving a rental van.  Temps were low 90s and we saw multiple steaming radiators, and one very stinky car fire on the rise just south of us.  Fortunately our van (borrowed - we were returning from graduation in SC) didn't have AC, so we sweltered but the vehicle was fine.  Someone hauling beehives was ahead of us, and all the workers were out enjoying the flowers, with hundreds buzzing around from time to time.  The hives probably lost half their bees when traffic began moving again.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh they were doing "to date" snowfall....makes more sense. Though they didn't include November snowfall on that list. Not a huge deal, but years like 1986-1987 would pass them.

Yeah.  Prob drop a few spots if you went Oct 1 to date or something.   Still interesting after another poor January

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah.  Prob drop a few spots if you went Oct 1 to date or something.   Still interesting after another poor January

January actually wasn't that bad for snow at ORH....14.9". It's only a couple inches below average. Though admittedly it happened in a very dull way. Lots of advisory type snowfalls and the month was a furnace. Despite that, there was snow cover for most of the month (maybe a total of a week without it) somehow....probably because we avoided any truly awful torches with the one exception of the warm cutter on Jan 12-13.

Archived