Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

2 hours ago, ma blizzard said:

anyone have a link that has plotted personal wx station /asos temps? It seems the mdfamily meso maps isn't working for SNE / hasn't been updated for NNE in a month. 

Try this:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=8&scroll_zoom=true&center=42.08599350447723,-72.08129882812499&basemap=OpenStreetMap&boundaries=true,false,false&obs=true&obs_type=weather&elements=temp,wind,gust&obs_popup=false&obs_density=1

You can play around with coverage as well as what values it displays.  I like how it updates automatically and allows you to pan and zoom as well.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waking up last night to the rain drumming off the roof... an inch of slushy sleet and enough freezing rain to pull down some more pine branches in Schenectady.  It's not just that I moved down here from Vermont where I was spoiled by the amount of snow we'd get.  This winter is starting to become frustrating and I don't even slide on snow any more.  I ride a bicycle.  Riding a bicycle on the road in January is not right and it's really not right that I haven't had to clean salt off it afterward.  It is beginning to get on my nerves.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, MetHerb said:

Try this:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=8&scroll_zoom=true&center=42.08599350447723,-72.08129882812499&basemap=OpenStreetMap&boundaries=true,false,false&obs=true&obs_type=weather&elements=temp,wind,gust&obs_popup=false&obs_density=1

You can play around with coverage as well as what values it displays.  I like how it updates automatically and allows you to pan and zoom as well.

Is there anything like this in New England?

On 1/24/2017 at 9:01 AM, Ginx snewx said:

6 years go this morning I hit -11 degrees and then was in awe the rest of the week as 20 plus piled up leaving me with a 38 inch depth. When winter was winter

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/winter_storm_summaries/event_reviews/2011/Mid-Atlantic_Northeast_WinterStorm_Jan2011.pdf

2010-11 was one of my favorite winters. Had 70" in Dobbs Ferry. Snowpack reached 25-26" with a thick crust of ice after the 2/2 ice storm.

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

Really nice day out there with mostly sunny skies and a temp of 37. Tommorow should be very warm so curious how much of this meaty snow will melt. Most of the snow off the trees has melted but the snow in the yard has maintained a beautiful glassy appearance.

IMG_0335.JPG

Hardly any of this is gonna melt tomorrow. Might lose like a half inch to an inch at most...takes a ton of energy to melt this type of pack.

26 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What a difference a year makes.  Ski areas in the Sierras are around 400" this year while they were struggling last year.  Great help for the multi-year drought out there.

Years ago I went out to the Nordic JO's in Truckee, my niece and nephew were on the NE team (that won the overall, BTW) and at the bottom of Donner Pass is a 20 or 30 foot tall monument to the Donner party.  It is how deep the snow was when they got there.  It was about 70 degrees during the event, I wondered aloud to my nephew if the snow would last.  We were standing on the porch of the building at the start/finish line.  You stepped down about ten inches onto the snow.  He laughed.  He said the porch we were standing on was about 15 feet in the air.  When the JO committee was looking at the site, they asked the host club what they were going to do about the giant boulders in the start/finish area.  They said not to worry, they'd take care of themselves.  

Alpine Meadows was the best skiing I have ever experienced.  You just had to mind the signs that said 'if it looks like this, don't pick it up.  It's an unexploded avalanche shell'.

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

No complaint out of me.  Just over 25" to date.  I only see ~40" on average in a season so I'm well on my way.

Sorry I was referring to the 14-15 winter where we were dancing in the snowbanks while the west was crying for their momma's. This year climo gives them a hand and hopefully we avg. Never know what the latter half of winter has in store. 

Archived