Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, dendrite said:

Some of it is instinct. Take a look at the animal kingdom...it isn't always pretty. We're still evolving mentally and emotionally. We've come a long way socially in the last 100 years compared to the thousands of years prior. 

I'm not sure what provoked this conversation...but I agree that gender roles are too restrictive, and I also agree that a lot has changed recently.  Those ideas aren't mutually exclusive.  Women notice what still has to change and Men notice was has changed.  I would say though that I wouldn't compare us to heavily to the animal kingdom, given that we have a highly developed frontal cortex which means we can think and not just react instinctually.  As Men we have had the upper hand when it comes to freedom for a long long time and I think that isn't because we are instinctual animals; instead I think it is because those of us with privilege in any area (gender, race, culture, sexual orientation, etc.) don't like to lose our privilege and sense of entitlement.

What happened that had a gender impact?

On 1/15/2017 at 0:50 AM, ono said:

I don't care how long you've been skiing. Look at what I wrote. Don't pull a red herring. Don't try some safe space bull**** on me- I'm calling out the claim of  "Man's snow" when all  some folks  do is look at a computer screen and talk about snow, but don't actually do anything that makes you more of a  "man". It doesn't snow. You b**ch.  The antithesis of being a "man." In high school, we'd call you "posers" or, "poseurs." 

Looking at a computer screen, or some weather model, and bitching incessantly about when it's gonna snow? That's "manly"?  Seems like this place is a "safe space" then for some "grown" men.

So drop the BS and be honest.  I'm saying drop the BS, this place has, effectively, very few women participating- and it would be much improved if that changed. Stop the bull****. You're ready for that, right?

You seem to not enjoy this environment. You should remove yourself. 

Judging by your sensitivity we're lucky you haven't seen any man snow, we'd have a real problem on our hands.

As part of our annual training we're being assigned a few papers to read (of course there will be a quiz after), and one includes the snow ratio climatology that I posted info about last week. 

Seeing some of the behind the scenes numbers is kind of cool. Like for instance, GYX had the 3rd most snowfall observations in the period of study (behind SLC and GJT). Over 21,000 in the 30 years. 

On 1/15/2017 at 2:26 PM, #NoPoles said:

just came in from a walk. It's rather pleasant. A few trees in my neighborhood were trimmed the other day and the maples all have sap icicles hanging from the fresh trims. I took pics, but I can't post them because I guess the file size is too big?

anyway, I find that slightly disturbing. Seems at least a month early for the Sap to be running...seems like that will really hurt this years maple syrup crop?

As long as the diurnal range of temperatures is right, the season should be fine.  The sap will actually run any time after the trees go dormant.  There are some producers who do limited fall tapping, particularly in the heart of maple country in northern New England/Quebec but the sugar content is low and you often don't get as much sap.  You also can't tap those trees in the spring.

Speaking of tapping, the larger producers (with tens of thousands of taps to make) have already started tapping their trees and they will collect sap as long as it runs.  With so many trees to tap, they need to start early to have them in by the time the season does start.  Any sap that flows between now and then is a bonus!

On 1/16/2017 at 3:33 PM, sbos_wx said:

You seem to not enjoy this environment. You should remove yourself. 

Judging by your sensitivity we're lucky you haven't seen any man snow, we'd have a real problem on our hands.

It's quite the opposite. Let's be honest, there are a whole lot of people who sit around, in front of the computer, and talk a big talk. Don't talk, just do, as they say. It's like spending every Sunday watching football, and considering yourself a big, strong manly athlete when you're just sitting on your ass. It's just stupid. Fills the place with tripe. We literally have people here that post 2 dozen times a day about how screwed they are if it doesn't snow (these are the same people that in turn tell me to "ask my husband" for whatever). Maybe you should check your assumptions at the door, as you can bet your ass I make hell of a lot more of every snow, big and small, than most.

If you look at my post history, I don't just talk like so many. You may want to remove yourself... from the comfort of your armchair.  Condescension is laughable. Again, I seriously invite you to come with me- and we'll how sensitive we both are. Could you keep up for 5 minutes? or would we have to take a lot of breaks, big guy? I'm a very outspoken and outgoing dude, this is a real invitation. You'll have fun if your attitude is as good as it seems on here.

Anonymity's an interesting beast. But thanks your feedback. Back to recess with you. 

3 minutes ago, ono said:

It's quite the opposite. Let's be honest, there are a whole lot of people who sit around, in front of the computer, and talk a big talk. Don't talk, just do, as they say. It's like spending every Sunday watching football, and considering yourself a big, strong manly athlete when you're just sitting on your ass. It's just stupid. Fills the place with tripe. We literally have people here that post 2 dozen times a day about how screwed they are if it doesn't snow (these are the same people that in turn tell me to "ask my husband" for whatever). Maybe you should check your assumptions at the door, as you can bet your ass I make hell of a lot more of every snow, big and small, than most.

If you look at my post history, I don't just talk like so many. You may want to remove yourself... from the comfort of your armchair.  Condescension is laughable. Again, I seriously invite you to come with me- and we'll how sensitive we both are. Could you keep up for 5 minutes? or would we have to take a lot of breaks, big guy? I'm a very outspoken and outgoing dude, this is a real invitation. You'll have fun if your attitude is as good as it seems on here.

Anonymity's an interesting beast. But thanks your feedback. Back to recess with you. 

Solid manpost right there.

15 hours ago, MetHerb said:

As long as the diurnal range of temperatures is right, the season should be fine.  The sap will actually run any time after the trees go dormant.  There are some producers who do limited fall tapping, particularly in the heart of maple country in northern New England/Quebec but the sugar content is low and you often don't get as much sap.  You also can't tap those trees in the spring.

Speaking of tapping, the larger producers (with tens of thousands of taps to make) have already started tapping their trees and they will collect sap as long as it runs.  With so many trees to tap, they need to start early to have them in by the time the season does start.  Any sap that flows between now and then is a bonus!

Thanks, for the info!

Archived