joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from delivering some syrup to a brewery in Charlotte, NC.  I picked an awesome weekend to go down there and experience the weekend storm up and down the coast.  It was good for some laughs as people talked about tons of snow that they got.  Things looked fairly normal to me but the impact on folks was a like a two foot storm here with the states of emergency and the way people were talking.

The worst part of it was the roads.  We stuck mainly to main roads and even there they had some serious issues.  I think the warmer ground temperatures and lack of pre-treating were the main detriments.  On the interstates we found stretches where the roads were down to pavement and others where they were mostly ice covered.  Lots of cars off the roads and thankfully we were not one of them. 

I took the western route going down there instead of 95 and it was neat seeing the sharp cutoff in snow cover.  Charlotte was right on the edge of the heavier accumulations but north of town they had closer to 10" as we climbed up the Blue Ridge.  Overall it wasn't a major event but neat to add to my list of different weather and places I've experienced.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I'll be at Wildcat so hoping for at least a little refresher after the milder temps. 

I think NNH and central to Northern ME, stay in a favorable pattern in general. Having the jet stream so close when you produce your own cold in January isn't a bad thing up there.

17 hours ago, sbos_wx said:

Snow squalls just do not hit BOS anymore

Hit or (usually) miss.   Last squall to leave more than a dusting at my place was Jan. 28, 2010.  That brought the last "real" snowflakes seen (we had some mush later) until late November, so I try not to be disappointed when the squalls go elsewhere.

I took the western route going down there instead of 95 and it was neat seeing the sharp cutoff in snow cover.  Charlotte was right on the edge of the heavier accumulations but north of town they had closer to 10" as we climbed up the Blue Ridge.  Overall it wasn't a major event but neat to add to my list of different weather and places I've experienced.

Did you have fun heading down the long I-77 hill near the VA/NC line?  That can be "interesting" even on dry pavement, if there are enough semis in the mix.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Did you have fun heading down the long I-77 hill near the VA/NC line?  That can be "interesting" even on dry pavement, if there are enough semis in the mix.

We had a rain/snow mix coming down from VA but was fine going down the other way.  Traffic was thankfully light.

Thank God for traffic cameras these days as I knew the road was fine going up and over the mountains but there was a 50-70 mile stretch around Statesville that was mostly ice.  I think the higher ground temps allowed the snow to melt but the temps in the teens allowed it to freeze with out having any material down.  You could tell that different DOT garages handled it differently. 

6 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Hey how often do you go skiing/snowboarding?

Not often enough!    I used to go regularly at Berkshire East or S VT areas.  Maybe 10-20 days/ season.

Then 5+ years ago a boy child came along and free time became elusive.

I still try to hit Wildcat and Sugarloaf every year though. 

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Not often enough!    I used to go regularly at Berkshire East or S VT areas.  Maybe 10-20 days/ season.

Then 5+ years ago a boy child came along and free time became elusive.

I still try to hit Wildcat and Sugarloaf every year though. 

I used to golf.

My last hurrah was Telluride last winter before my son was born...so at least I went out in style.

I'm gonna try and sneak a day trip or two in this season, but I'm probably not going on any multi-day ski trips until he is old enough to ski himself. So that's probably 3-4 years away.

Archived