Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just doing some climo data and realized this is the 10yr anny of one of our warmest Jan days ever. I had 65.4F here back in 2007. It felt like April with the sun shining.

CON had a high of 69F which was their warmest Jan temp since 1876 (72F on 1/1). Looks like BOS hit 69F too. Torch city.

That was the last hurrah for warmth until mid March though.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Was just doing some climo data and realized this is the 10yr anny of one of our warmest Jan days ever. I had 65.4F here back in 2007. It felt like April with the sun shining.

CON had a high of 69F which was their warmest Jan temp since 1876 (72F on 1/1). Looks like BOS hit 69F too. Torch city.

That was the last hurrah for warmth until mid March though.

I climbed Wachusett that day and realized when I got to the summit that the ski operation wasn't running. It was the only time they have closed in January. Think they were closed for several days in a row early that month. 

Winter turned pretty cold though mid month and beyond. 

Didn't want to derail storm threads so I'll just vent here I guess. I think a great rule of thumb for those of us west of 91 and or NW of 84 in CT is you'll never get more than a few inches if:

a) Storm tracks east of the benchmark

b. Temperatures are under 20F and or BL dew points are low.

We've had about half dozen of these storms over the last three seasons and they've all produced about 3-4" of snow. I think I did let my expectations get a little too high when I saw the GFS jump on board and the RGEM was printing out 8-9" totals.

2 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Didn't want to derail storm threads so I'll just vent here I guess. I think a great rule of thumb for those of us west of 91 and or NW of 84 in CT is you'll never get more than a few inches if:

We've had about half dozen of these storms over the last three seasons and they've all produced about 3-4" of snow. I think I did let my expectations get a little too high when I saw the GFS jump on board and the RGEM was printing out 8-9" totals.

yea, also...my general rule: if the cape folk are derobing, we end up with a peep show. 

41 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

yea, also...my general rule: if the cape folk are derobing, we end up with a peep show. 

:lol: Yeah, we want them to rain or dry slot. I wonder how much James got or if he is still breathing? 

"Storms that typically last 6-8 hours and snow 1-2" per hour with a uniform snowfall distribution"

What are SWFEs Alex?

^The only kind of storm we do any good in these days.

4 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

exactly... which is why I was surprised to break 4", barely, but temp never got above 18, and dew point never made it past 7*, so I got basically 4" of sugar...same thing happened in the Superbowl storm of 15, which turned out ok in the end with that band that pivoted through in the end..I like to see a canal tracking coastal, and be on the just north of the 700 low, that seems to work out best for this location...also have to mention, I am now about halfway to climo, and my largest event was 8.25"! nickel and dime my way home....i long for a KU to stall and blast us with 36 hours of heavies...but some just care about snowpack and making climo. If it only snowed one more time, and it was a three footer, I would not care...of course a 95-96 redux would also be nice.

Archived